Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th June 2011, 08:07 PM   #31
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA
Thanks for posting. I too find double weapons very interesting. Here is my "twin golok" for comparison and your comment. Each knife fits side-by-side into its own compartment in a single scabbard. The pattern-welded blades measure 15 3/4 inches long by 1 1/4 inch wide and are very sharp. The ricasso is narrow in width and the blades thicken towards the tip. Each knife measures a total of 22 inches including the hilt. On the side of each blade are struck markings showing what I've been told is the name of the village of provenance. The hilts are made of ironwood. The scabbard is also made of ironwood, with brass decoration and appliances and a mahogany-like wood along the top and bottom line of the scabbard as well as near the opening.

Thats a very fine set.
I like that they are two distinct Goloks within one scabbard!
The quality looks excellent and they are big as well!
Wow!
Mine are only 18" overall.

Congrats
Gene
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 10:20 PM   #32
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henk
Gene,

As promised. Rather identical to the golok of DaveA and probably made by the same makers of these goloks. Mine was made two and a half year ago.

Beautiful Henk!
Fantastic quality again. Whats the overall length?
I'm amazed that the scabbard is also horn. What work!!
Lovely mate, thansk for sharing.
Best
gene
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 11:19 PM   #33
ThePepperSkull

There is an online silat supplies store based in France that, on occasion, sells double goloks similar to this. I forget what the site is called but they do have plenty of pictures with double goloks similar to this.

I do enjoy modern Indonesian blades. For the most part they still make them with thick spines which I like. Until recently sold, I had a large golok with a 20-inch blade that was about 6.5-7mm thick at the base.

While I collect mostly Philippine blades focusing on modern-made pieces (With exception to old Pira and the odd kris here and there), I must admit that the modern blade market there is flooded with whippy, wafer thin blades that would not be safe to swing, let alone cut with. Regarding Philippine blades, there are still wonderful and incredibly functional blades, but you really have to careful about where and who you buy from and really do your research or else you end up with sheet metal that, I reiterate, is either too whippy or too brittle to be safely used.

With Indonesian blades of modern make, the quality of the average golok is much much better. I have never been dissatisfied with a modern indonesian-made blade as of yet.

This double golok is a good find in my opinion.
ThePepperSkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 05:00 AM   #34
DaveA

Red face Modern Phill/indon blades

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePepperSkull
....., I must admit that the modern blade market there is flooded with whippy, wafer thin blades that would not be safe to swing, let alone cut with.
I concur. It is sometimes very hard to tell just from internet pictures so buying from someone you trust is important. I bought mine from another collector who was liquidating her collection. A few others I bought (years ago, when I was less wise I think) were examples your whimpy wafer thin blades. Disappointed I was, but learn I did!
DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 05:47 AM   #35
Amuk Murugul

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA
..... were examples your whimpy wafer thin blades. Disappointed I was, but learn I did!
FYI ..... There is an area in Banten which is renowned for making thin goloks, even thin enough to wear round the waist. I have handled one such, belonging to the head-smith. It was about the thickness of a saw-blade, housed in a thick leather 'belt' with the handle doubling as a buckle. The golok was very old and had good patina. When I first saw it, I was reminded of stories I'd heard about early Chinese.
Although the locals refer to it as 'golok', I would call it a sword.

Best,
Amuk Murugul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 07:37 AM   #36
Henk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantia
Beautiful Henk!
Fantastic quality again. Whats the overall length?
I'm amazed that the scabbard is also horn. What work!!
Lovely mate, thansk for sharing.
Best
gene
Yes, i'm very happy with this pair. The overall length is 57 cm or 22,5 inch.
As mentioned these goloks were made for me personally, ordered by my teacher when he was on Java to practice Pang Lipur in the school of his master. To train with these goloks the right length is important.
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote