Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 22nd September 2018, 04:56 PM   #1
CharlesS

Default A Moro Kriss Blade Fully Mounted in Visayan Dress

Moro and Visayan blades are my favorite two blade cultures of the Philippines. Both cultures made exceptional blades of various styles. I have no idea why one culture would choose to use a blade from the other and dress it out in its own form, but below is a just such an example. This Moro made pattern welded blade is a lovely example or Moro blade craftsmanship, but it is fully dressed in Visayan fittings from top to bottom. The hilt is of horn in a classic Visayan "monster" motif with an octagonal brass bolster. The Moro style baca-baca has been retained and appears to fit under the hilt. The scabbard is of a unique style, but the brass fittings are mounted in a way typical to other Visayan sword scabbards.

Dimensions:
Overall length: 27.25in.
Blade length: 21in.
Blade width at the center of the blade: 1.33in.
Attached Images

CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2018, 11:48 PM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

How interesting!

And very complete.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2018, 01:53 AM   #3
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Charles:

Great example. I have a few of similar style, although not one with a Panay hilt. Brass on the scabbard seems to be a consistent feature on many of these. Mine were most likely from Davao City, where there is a strong Visayan presence. Like yours, mine are mostly straight and appear to have been made by the Maguindanao (which makes sense given their proximity to Davao City) and based on blades likely made in the late 19 or early 20th C. Yours looks as though it is from this period also.

I collected most of my bi-cultural examples of this type in Manila from a dealer who specialized in weapons from Mindanao, particularly via Davao City.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2018, 11:16 AM   #4
Sajen

Most interesting kris! Congrats Charles for this new addition to your collection.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote