Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th March 2008, 07:37 PM   #1
knife7knut

Default A few new acquisitions.........

Hello all:
Haven't posted in awhile as I haven't found anything of real interest to the forum.That changed today when I stopped at a storage unit sale run by an acquaintance.
I would like to post pictures but want to show as much detail as possible as the items are quite long.Any tips on photographing them? Got two keris;one of which has a sheath(unfortunately not in the best of shape)and a couple of other daggers;one of which looks to be the inside of a riding crop albeit a large one.The larger keris looks to have the ferrule between the blade and handle(sorry;I don't know the proper terminology)installed backward at some point in time.Handle looks to be solidly attached.Any ideas on how to SAFELY remove the handle?
Just trying to get an idea of their age;I don't really want to sell them.I know they are worth more than what I paid($13 for the pair).Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Ray Smith
knife7knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2008, 07:57 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Ray, i would try to photograph these items in bright, but indirect daylight. In other words, not in direct sunlight, but perhaps on a sunny day in the shade. Do your best to focus correctly and make sharp pics. I don't know what kind of camera you are using so i can't give you too many more details.
If by keris you are referring to Indonesian keris then you should post pictures and questions on the keris forum. If these are Moro kris than this is the proper forum for posting. I look forward to seeing them soon.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2008, 08:17 PM   #3
GuyM

Take your pictures outside on a bright overcast day, use a neutral, uniform and non-reflecting background. Mid-winter days are best (despite the cold!) , in Switzerland at any rate . Use a tri-pod if at all possible, and the 'macro' mode on your camera for close-ups.
Looking forward to see the pics.
GuyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 01:34 AM   #4
knife7knut

Tried to get some outdoor pictures but today is a rain/snow mix so that was out.Took a couple with the flash on a dark background.Not the greatest but will follow up tomorrow with better pictures if the weather co-operates.

Noticed a couple of things on closer examination:Not only is the ferrule(my term)between the blade and handle installed upside down but so is the handle!Have been trying to gently persuade it off by tapping on the blade with a wooden hammer handle whilst holding the handle of the knife but to no avail.Hopefully whomever did this didn't see fit to add a drop of glue to the mix.

Another thing I noticed was that the blade seemed a bit large for the sheath.Not surprising since someone apparently switched knives and I neglected to pick up on it at first.upon trying the other knife in the sheath it fit perfectly.I have a LOT to learn!

By the way on the closeup picture of the handle:it isn't painted inside the carving;that is just the flash illuminating the dust within!

Hope to get some better close up pictures tomorrow;until then I submit these for your inspection and comment.
Cheers
Attached Images

Old 31st March 2008, 02:21 AM   #5
David
Keris forum moderator

Once again Ray, the place to post these keris is on the keris forum. You will get far more responses there about these weapons. I don't want to just move this thread because you mention other daggers as well which i assume you will also be posting.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 02:46 AM   #6
knife7knut

My apologies David;I didn't realize there was separate forum for keris.I shall post over there and thank you for your understanding.