Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 15th April 2017, 01:58 AM   #1
Marbel

Default Bagobo, Blaan ? Your expertise please

Hello,

Seeking your expertise please on this old blade.

The scabbard is wood, two parts, held together with original rattan and later-added string. The raised "block" holding the waist cord is not added on, it's one with the wood of the scabbard. Nice color, well worn.

The blade is heavy and sharp. Slightly loose from the hilt. The brass is very heavy with a smooth, worn feel. The last photo shows holes where chains (with bells) would have been attached to the end long ago.

So the question is - whose blade was this? The patterns on the hilt say Bagobo, the flared edge (without pattern) and the decorative holes might add Blaan into the mix and possibly (but not likely) Tboli.

Any thoughts and input would be very welcome. I'm far from an expert in this arena and seek your knowledge. Thank you very much.
Attached Images

Marbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2017, 08:46 PM   #2
Sajen

Hello Marbel,

I would guess that it is a Bagobo sword, see for example this old thread: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ighlight=tboli

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2017, 12:10 AM   #3
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi marbel:

You pose an interesting question with this one. All metal hilts are fairly common among the Lumad tribes of eastern and south-eastern Mindanao. The T'boli use all metal hilts on their kamfilan, and other groups less often.

The problem comes when blades and hilts are traded among groups, as they are quite often. The T'boli are well known for their metal work, and produce good quality blades and brass hilts, the latter being made by the lost wax method. The small kampilan (kamfilan) is a particular T'boli specialty, although other Lumad groups also make them.

That said, your sword's blade does not look like one of the typical T'boli forms. The all metal hilt, on the other hand, would pass for less than average grade T'boli work, but I agree that the decoration is more Bagobo in form. The row of holes at the end of the hilt is for hanging small bells (hawk bells), and that is a feature seen mainly on T'boli and Bagobo swords.

While all metal hilts are the norm for T'boli swords, there is usually a mix of metal and wood on traditional Bagobo (including Tagakaolu) and Blaan hilts. We don't tend to see many Blaan swords and knives, so it's harder to say what style they favored. Also, the Blaan probably bought many of their swords from the Bagobo groups. There are old pictures of Blaan datu carrying traditional Bagobo swords (I will see if I can dig them out of my files).

I'm afraid the answer to your question, Is this Bagobo, Blaan, or T'boli?, would be "yes," it's probably one of these. One other piece of information would be helpful--where did you acquire this? If it was sold through Davao City, there is a very good possibility it is Bagabo/Tagakaolu because the Tagakaolu are located close by this major center and many of the Lumad weapons coming on the market through Davao originate with them.

It's possible the scabbard may have some clues. It's not typical of T'boli work, so perhaps Bagobo or Blaan.

Thanks for showing this interesting piece. Perhaps someone else has more detailed knowledge they can share.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2017, 10:36 AM   #4
Sajen

Very well explained Ian!
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2017, 07:07 PM   #5
Battara
EAAF Staff

I'm with Ian. The hilt work looks Bagobo to me (though not the best work for them), though Bilaan can't be ruled out.

What throws me ohs the scabbard which looks almost Mandaya in form. Not typical Bagobo in any case.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2017, 07:10 PM   #6
Marbel

Thanks for your thoughts and knowledge Ian.

This piece came from an East Coast collector who found it on EBay several years ago. I'm afraid that's as far back as the provenance goes.

I have many Tboli blades and as you know, they are quite distinctive in their design (I'm referring specifically to the hilts and their patterns). My first thought on this was Bagobo but it didn't fit perfectly into that group either. As you noted, the high frequency of trading between these groups and the reuse of hilts, blades and scabbards creates quite a bit of grey area with these pieces at times.

I'm still scratching my head about the pattern and shape at the end of the hilt. It's quite unique and almost matches pieces where that area would have been done in wood. It's a very nice piece, beautifully worn and substantial in weight. Glad to have it.

Would love to have more comments if available. Thanks again.
Old 17th April 2017, 07:15 PM   #7
Marbel

Yes Battara, thanks. We were typing at the same time.

The scabbard is certainly not a typical Bagobo design at all. Mandaya is a good call. They're neighbors. In general it just looks like a working man's scabbard.

Thanks again. Any thoughts on age?
Old 18th April 2017, 12:57 AM   #8
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi marbel:

I agree with battara. The scabbard is hard to place. Sorry I can't be more helpful on this one.

You are fortunate to have many Tboli blades. They are often well made swords and knives, and the brass/bronze hilts can be real works of art. I understand the best hilts are designed by women who carve the wax molds, and this seems to be a specific craft that has been passed down for many decades.

Ian.
Old 18th April 2017, 03:20 AM   #9
Battara
EAAF Staff

Ian that's why I move away from T'boli on this hilt.
Old 18th April 2017, 04:14 PM   #10
Marbel

Ian,

You are indeed correct on your comment about Tboli women participating in the creation of their swords, especially in the old days. While the men will work on the blades and the basic shape of the hilts (base wax), women would create the more intricate designs in wax for the finished mold. They'd often use small strings of copper wire to form tiny imprints into the main wax.

Thanks again.
Attached Images

Old 18th April 2017, 11:19 PM   #11
Battara
EAAF Staff

Marbel, for a metalsmith like me, this information is of great interest and help. I was not aware.

Maraming Salamat!
Old 19th April 2017, 12:56 AM   #12
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Marbel, thanks for the information about how these hilts were decorated. Some time ago while in southern Mindanao I had the opportunity to visit a Tboli smith. His tools were fairly standard for a village smith although his forge had a western style bellows rather than a more traditional type. His mother was involved with the making of hilts (he had no sisters and was unmarried) but I did not see her at work. I did see some of her tools, many of which were fine iron needles, and she had a few pieces of well worn paper with hand drawn designs to work from. Unfortunately, they were very superstitious people who did not allow me to photograph them or their home. I don't recall seeing the copper wire forms that you mention, but these could have been in a number of small containers lying on the floor next to the low table where she worked.

Have you visited Mindanao? You seem to know quite a lot about weapons of the area.

Ian.
Old 19th April 2017, 01:32 AM   #13
Marbel

Hi Ian,

Great information and I'm very glad to hear that you've had the opportunity to visit the Tboli. They are a special people. I've visited Mindanao several times, first in 1984 and most recently in April 2016. I've also been fortunate enough to visit the Blaan as well during my last trip. While I collect Tboli blades (and other lumad weapons to a lesser degree), my collection encompasses all aspects of Tboli art and artifacts. The largest part of my collection is textiles. The woven tnalak cloth and Tboli clothing and costume. Again, to a somewhat lesser degree I own textiles from the Blaan, Bagobo, Tagakaolo, Mandaya and other nearby groups. As you know, their costume and adornment include some other beautiful brass items - amazing belts, anklets and bracelets, bells of all sorts and some betel boxes. The brasscasters are true artists with longstanding traditions. I could go on and on about the Tboli, but I fear I'm veering a bit off topic. I'd be happy to chat with anyone off-line if there is an interest.

A bit more on topic. There are some very informative plates documenting Lumad weaponry within many of the old field study books written on Mindanao in the early 20th century. Two that come to mind are Faye Cooper Cole's "The Wild Tribes of Davao District, Mindanao" (1913) and Herbert Krieger's "The Collection of Primitive Weapons and Armour of the Philippine Islands in the United States National Museum" (1926). John Garvan's "The Manobos of Mindanao" (1929) contains some nice reference photos as well.

All the best,
Craig
Old 19th April 2017, 02:39 AM   #14
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Craig,

Good to have you here. Your knowledge of Lumad textiles and other arts and crafts will be very helpful. I think you are so right about the textiles, brass items and bead work that comes from these groups.

The Bagobo bead work, in particular, can be very good. I only have a few pieces and am always looking for good quality examples.

Thanks for highlighting Lumad items and I hope we will see more of your collection.

Ian.
Old 20th April 2017, 01:42 AM   #15
Battara
EAAF Staff

Oh yes your knowledge would and does add so much to us here.

Thank you for posting.