Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th April 2017, 04:30 AM   #1
F. de Luzon

Default Gunong from Tugaya. Lanao del Sur for Reference

In light of the interest in the Moro gunong, I'm sharing an example of relatively recent manufacture from Tugaya, Lanao del Sur, Philippines. Tugaya is the home of traditional Maranao arts and crafts.

This gunong has a 19 cm (7.5 inches) non-lamintated blade. It is 7 mm at the thickest end which makes it much heavier than the typical gunongs made for sale as souvenirs.

The scabbard is made of carabao horn and white brass ("tumbaga putih" in Maranao), the guard and hilt are also brass, while the pommel is solid horn.

I found it amusing that the dealer referred to it as a "modern antique." By that he meant that it is not over 70 years old but still manufactured using traditional "olden" methods. He said that it was made by one of the senior craftsmen in Tugaya and that he has had it for more than 10 years. Judging by the blade design (which resembles recent examples in the market), I suspect that this gunong is not more than 15 years old.

It is nonetheless an example of a continuing tradition. I appreciate it mainly for the okir work on the guard and scabbard, and the solid carabao horn pommel. My objective in sharing this particular piece is for it to serve as a reference in the evolving blade design of the gunong.
Attached Images

Last edited by F. de Luzon; 8th April 2017 at 06:36 AM.
F. de Luzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2017, 07:53 AM   #2
mariusgmioc

Very beautiful piece. I am happy to see the tradition is carried on!

Thank you for sharing!
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2017, 10:41 AM   #3
F. de Luzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusgmioc
Very beautiful piece. I am happy to see the tradition is carried on!

Thank you for sharing!

You're welcome Mariusgmioc! Unfortunately, I am told that the tradition is dying because there are few craftsmen left. Let's hope that the younger generation will recognize the value of their heritage and keep their traditions alive.

Kind regards,

F. de Luzon
Old 8th April 2017, 02:44 PM   #4
CCUAL

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=gunong
Attached Images

CCUAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2017, 04:29 PM   #5
Battara
EAAF Staff

I can definitely see the Maranao okir in both pieces. The belt loop has definitely been beautifully developed in recent years.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2017, 08:25 AM   #6
F. de Luzon

Thanks CCUAL and Battara!

These gunongs could have been made by the same panday or group of craftsmen. The belt loops are almost of identical design.

Last edited by F. de Luzon; 10th April 2017 at 08:54 AM.
Old 10th April 2017, 11:37 PM   #7
Battara
EAAF Staff

I agree with your assessment.
Old 10th April 2017, 11:49 PM   #8
David
Keris forum moderator

Thanks for digging up that old thread of mine CCUAL. I was just going to go looking for it. Someone posted either photos or a link to photos of a workshop where similar high quality modern Moro weapon were being made, but i haven't been able to find that again. As i stated in the thread you link to here there is one particular seller on eBay who shall remain unmentioned who has been an outlet for modern Moro pieces, including kris and barongs. He never sells them as antiques, but does little to inform people that they are new either. Frankly, i am really pleased to see people still putting this level of craft into these traditional weapons as long as they are not misrepresented as antique or old.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2017, 04:25 AM   #9
Battara
EAAF Staff

I thought that the tradition was still alive in Marawi City (Maranao territory), still making their okir metal work........
Old 12th April 2017, 10:22 AM   #10
F. de Luzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
I thought that the tradition was still alive in Marawi City (Maranao territory), still making their okir metal work........
Hi Battara,

Tugaya and Marawi City are both in the province of Lanao del Sur and around 25 km from each other. While Tugaya is the center of arts and crafts, Marawi is the provincial capital. I asked a friend from Marawi to check if there are craftsmen doing okir metal work in Marawi. I'll let you know as soon as I get the reply.

F. de Luzon