Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th December 2012, 01:43 PM   #1
Andy Stevens

Default Interesting Ashanti ceremonial sword?

Hello all,
We thought we'd share a few pictures of what we believe to be a Ashanti ceremonial sword. Spring, in his book African arms and armour, has something similar on page 58, he describes the weapon as a 'afenatene'. Our example appears to have had something snapped off, perhaps a hilt of some form or maybe it was originally joined to one of these triple bladed swords. The carving is very interesting, especially the lizard. The patina suggests some age. Interestingly, the handle section pivots. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Andy Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2012, 01:33 AM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

What an interesting piece!
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2012, 04:27 AM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

IT LOOKS LIKE AN ASHANTE BLADE THESE ARE FOR CEREMONIAL OCCASIONS AND HAVE PEIERCED DESIGNS IN THE BLADES AND WOOD HANDLES COVERED IN GOLD LEAF. THEY HAVE SMALL GOLD FETISHES ATTACHED AT IMPORTANT OCASIONS AS WELL. THE ONES I HAVE HANDLED DID NOT HAVE AN EDGE PERHAPS THE EARLIER ONES DID BUT I HAVE NOT SEEN A SHARP ONE. THE BLADE YOU HAVE HAS SEVERAL ODD PROPERTIES IT LOOKS CAST RATHER THAN FORGED AND THEN CUT OUT AND THE MOVING PART IS ODD AS WELL. A VERY INTERESTING ITEM. HERE ARE A FEW PICTURES. ONE PICTURE IS OF THE KING AND YOU CAN SEE THE GOLD COVERED HANDLES OF MANY STATE SWORDS.

TWO OTHER INTERESTING THINGS IS THAT THE GHANA STATE JEWLS WERE STOLEN IN OCT. 2012.
LOOK UP THE KOMFO ANOKYE SWORD. IT IS IN A SHRINE AND THE LEGEND IS, AS LONG AS IT STAYS THERE THE ASHANTE KINGOMDOM SHALL ENDURE.
Attached Images

VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2012, 09:27 AM   #4
colin henshaw

Most interesting and unusual piece - also makes me think of the famous and enigmatic Dahomey Amazon razor weapons...

Regards.
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2012, 11:07 AM   #5
Andy Stevens

Thanks for the replies chaps.

The komfo anokye sword search proved very interesting and provides a lot of info on Ashanti history. Unfortunately we can offer little on the piece other than its dimensions which are as follows

Overall length: 52.5cm

Width at widest : 17cm

It does appear to have been cast and has never been sharpened. The pivot has only a very limited degree of movement and its purpose is obscure.

We seldom see Ashanti items and it was a lucky day for us to find this one. We added one of our victorian scrapbook cards of a mid 1800's interpretation of an Ashante warrior, he's romantic and kind of fun!
Attached Images

Old 12th December 2012, 03:46 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Andy thank you for posting this fascinating piece, and Barry for the great information and photos!
I agree this is likely Ashanti, but a precise classification would be extremely difficult with the complexity of variations of these arms, their purposes, and the heirachies of these forest kingdoms included in the confederation of Ashanti rule.
It seems that cutlass type weapons, along with the razor type weapons Colin has noted of Dahomey, were well established throughout these states and kingdoms. Christopher Spring has done a brilliant job of describing many of these and relies heavily on the outstanding article by Palau Marti, "Sabres decores du Dahomey" ('Objets et Mondes', VII:4, 1967).

I am inclined to think of this openwork cutlass as more likely to be the afena of Ashanti use rather than the afenatene, though the illustration of one of these with multiple openwork blades is clearly similar in the theme of the blade of the afenatene .It is tempting however, with the curious riveted swivel device, to think this perhaps might be for multiple blades to open wider to be stood vertically as in the illustration of the afenatene.

The broader neck seems though to be to support the dual spheres of the afena, clearly missing on this example. As Barry has noted, part of the significant theme of these swords was carried on the sheaths with devices of varying forms (abosodee) which might replicate many items telling of key events symbolically. Allegorical themes are important in these cultures in carrying forth thier history and traditions, which is exactly what the images and figures in these openwork blades are for.

While these are unsharpened and uniquely decorated swords used in symbolic gesture as regalia, they are based on various cutlass type swords often with the large rounded swirl blades which did find use in degree otherwise.

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 12th December 2012 at 04:54 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2012, 03:04 PM   #7
Andy Stevens

Hi Jim
Thanks for the reply, this sword has been a real eye opener for us as we see so little from the Ashanti culture in the Uk. We are planning a trip to the Pitt River museum after xmas and will keep an eye out for anything similar. We will update this post as and when we find facts a new. Many thanks!
Old 15th December 2012, 10:49 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

My pleasure Andy, and honestly I have had little exposure to these as well, so it was great to have this as an objective to learn on the topic. Barry is far better versed on these as he has so much experience with these kinds of esoterica.
I look forward to your updates and as always the interesting items you share here!

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2012, 06:42 AM   #9
VANDOO
(deceased)

I HAVE SEEN PICTURES OF SWORDS WITH TWO BLADES AS WELL AS AT LEAST ONE WITH 3 BLADES THAT WAS FREE STANDING. UNFORTUNATELY I HAVE NO PICTURES PROBABLY THE SELLER OR AUCTION BLOCKED PICTURES OR PERHAPS THEY WERE IN BOOKS.
HERE ARE TWO PICTURES OF A YORUBA CEREMONIAL SWORD FOR COMPARASON AND ANOTHER SWORD THAT MAY OR MAY NOT BE ASANTE BUT IS A BIT DIFFERENT THAN THOSE USED AT CEREMONIES INVOLVING THE KING. PERHAPS SOMEONE MORE FAMILIAR WITH THIS SORT OF SWORD CAN ADD SOME MORE INFORMATION ON THESE INTERESTING AND IMPORTANT ITEMS.
Attached Images

Old 19th December 2012, 04:09 AM   #10
VANDOO
(deceased)

One of the most important symbolic objects of the Akan (Asante, Fante, Baule,etc.) peoples are the ceremonial swords called "Afena". Some (Numbers 1-3), with white and offerings on them are called an "Okomfo Afena" and were used by shrine priests. They originated as practical weapons, then took on various ideological and ritual roles. Dull blades, sometimes with openwork, show they were not intended to be functional weapons. They usually have a curved iron blade and an ornate hilt shaped like a dumbell, which is sometimes covered with gold leaf.. The specific functions and forms of swords vary from state to state. In general, swords are (or were) used for swearing oaths, as symbols of rank and safe passage, and for display.

---Dan Mato, Professor Emeritus of Art History, The University of Calgary

I CAME ACROSS THIS INFORMATION A SEARCH OF THE NET WILL YEILD MORE INF.
Old 4th September 2013, 06:00 AM   #11
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

TWO MORE EXAMPLES, THE FIRST PICTURE LOOKS MORE LIKE AN ASANTE SWORD I AM NOT SURE OF THE OTHER ONE.
Attached Images

Last edited by VANDOO; 4th September 2013 at 06:10 AM.
Old 4th September 2013, 05:47 PM   #12
Sajen

This one was sold recently via ebay.
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote