Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 13th July 2018, 04:55 PM   #1
Anthony G.

Default Do you think this is a Majapahit keris?

Hi

Do you think this is a Majapahit keris? Many folks told me it is so but I have doubt as the pesi is thick. Anyone knows how does the pesi of Majapahit keris looks like? I cannot much convincing info on the net.

In addition, can you tell what kind of pamour? It is quite 'washed out' for identification.
Attached Images

Anthony G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2018, 09:21 AM   #2
Jean

Hello Anthony,
May we know why your friends believe that this is a Majapahit kris? From the pics the ganja wulung seems to have been replaced and the tip is broken.
What is the size of the blade?
Regards
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2018, 02:24 PM   #3
Anthony G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean
Hello Anthony,
May we know why your friends believe that this is a Majapahit kris? From the pics the ganja wulung seems to have been replaced and the tip is broken.
What is the size of the blade?
Regards
Yes, ganja is replaced before. The length of blade is 14 inch. I lost the info. If I recall correctly, it has to do with the blade style and pamor........

Btw, you can tell what pamour is it?
Old 14th July 2018, 05:34 PM   #4
Jean

Hello Anthony,
The pamor pattern is too worn-out to be properly identified and your pics of the full blade are not very clear; some people would call it Pulo Tirto (islands in the ocean) but it was probably Beras Wutah originally from what I can see. Was the pesi damaged and repaired at mid-length? The kembang kacang is bungkem (touching the gandik) which is a peculiar feature.
The dapur type is Sempana bungkem but with one exception: it should not include greneng (the ganja was replaced).
Regards

Last edited by Jean; 15th July 2018 at 08:36 AM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2018, 08:36 AM   #5
Anthony G.

Quote:
Hello Anthony,
The pamor pattern is too worn-out to be properly identified and your pics of the full blade are not very clear; some people would call it Pulo Tirto (islands in the ocean) but it was probably Beras Wutah originally from what I can see. Was the pesi damaged and repaired at mid-length? The kembang kacang is bungkem (touching the gandik) which is a peculiar feature.
Regards
I think pesi is intact. Thanks for the info.
Old 15th July 2018, 02:16 PM   #6
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
May we know why your friends believe that this is a Majapahit kris?
I would love to know the answer to this as well. If you are going to give such an assessment on a blade that assessment should be defendable with good reason. Does the blade show specific indicators that would allow us to place it as a Mojopahit blade. To my eye it seems to fail on a few key points. If the gonjo has been replaced we can't tell much there, but that very pronounced pesi is the first red flag for me. Also, as Jean has pointed out, i am not sure i have ever seen a kembang kacang that is bungkem in a Mojo keris before. These days folks with very little real background just want to place any old blade in the Mojopahit category. It's a great selling point if you can convince your buying it is true.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2018, 10:33 PM   #7
A. G. Maisey

A question:-

when we ask "is this a Majapahit blade"

exactly what do we mean?
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2018, 04:13 AM   #8
Anthony G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
A question:-

when we ask "is this a Majapahit blade"

exactly what do we mean?

Hi Alan

A very simple but good question.

My humble point of view is, "Is this keris made during the Majapahit era, empire?"
Old 16th July 2018, 05:56 AM   #9
A. G. Maisey

Actually Anthony, this is a very difficult question, and any answer to it could argued ad infinitum.

However, your response to my question is simple and straightforward, as is my response to you:-

absolutely, definitely not.
Old 16th July 2018, 06:12 AM   #10
Anthony G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Actually Anthony, this is a very difficult question, and any answer to it could argued ad infinitum.

However, your response to my question is simple and straightforward, as is my response to you:-

absolutely, definitely not.
Hi Alan

Thank you for your reply and advice. I also think it is not made in Majapahit era -keris. Most likely Balinese keris in 17/18th century.
Old 16th July 2018, 08:57 AM   #11
A. G. Maisey

Yes Anthony, probably Balinese, but I doubt 1600's.

It is really difficult to get too precise about actual age on the basis of even excellent photos, and these photos are not excellent, based upon what I believe I can see the best I can do is before 1900, probably after 1750.
Old 16th July 2018, 11:41 AM   #12
Green

i'm trying to learn (about javanese keris) here. Ok so, it is not majapahit... but is this considered a GOOD keris? i know 'good' is subjective... but can it be considered a high quality keris based on the shape, pamor and etc...

my first instinct is to say.. greneng don't look too good... the rest i can't say much...
Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2018, 07:42 PM   #13
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green
i'm trying to learn (about javanese keris) here. Ok so, it is not majapahit... but is this considered a GOOD keris? i know 'good' is subjective... but can it be considered a high quality keris based on the shape, pamor and etc...

my first instinct is to say.. greneng don't look too good... the rest i can't say much...
True Green, such questions are indeed subjective and need further clarification. But there are a few things about this keris that we seem to know (probably). Firstly it does seem likely that the gonjo was replaced at some time. So can we judge this keris by its greneng? Perhaps as it stands now, but this says nothing about the original intent and execution of this keris. Also, given the rather thick pesi there is a strong possibility that this is indeed not a Javanese keris, but perhaps from either Bali or Lombak. If that is the case then we must judge it based upon its actual origin rather than how it measures up to other Javanese keris. We must also take its age into consideration and the condition that remains. It would probably be helpful to see the blade in full stain before we attempt to judge the pamor, for instance. There certain seems to be damage along parts of the blade such as the kembang kecang and there may or may not have been jenggot in this position. So all in all i think this might be a difficult question to answer. I always personally prefer to ask myself if a "like" a keris or if it "appeals or calls to me" rather than place a "good" or "bad" tag on it.
David is offline   Reply With Quote