Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd October 2005, 02:28 AM   #1
tomahawk

Default Native American or African Weapons?

Hello again everyone! I just picked these two metal weapons up a few weeks ago. Was told that they might have originated in Mexico. I am not sure how they may have been used? The largest one measures approx. 6.5 inches long and the smaller one measures approx. 4.25 inches. Would appreciate any info on these such as age, origin, and what these may have been used as. Thanks tomahawk
Attached Images

tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2005, 08:53 AM   #2
Tim Simmons

Hi, the bigger one looks like it could well be African currency, I have no idea about the other one. They both lack the finnish that you would expect of early metalwork in the Americas.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2005, 04:44 PM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

I HAVE VERY LITTLE INFO ON SUCH THINGS BUT IF THEY ARE COPPER IT IS POSSIBLE THEY CAME FROM THE AMERICAS BUT IF THEY ARE BRONZE THEY CAME FROM SOMEWHERE ELSE AS THERE WAS NO BRONZE AGE IN THE AMERICAS AS FAR AS I KNOW. THE LARGER ONE DOES APPEAR TO BE FOR CEREMONIAL USE OR AS STATED AS MONEY THE SMALLER ONE LOOKS LIKE IT COULD HAVE BEEN USED AS A TOOL OR WEAPON AS IT HAS THE SHAPE OF A STONE CELT. GOOD LUCK
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2005, 05:39 AM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

These items, while inclining toward some sort of axe heads, seem to have strong resemblance to utilitarian implements, such as scrapers for hides etc. The larger one, with its semilunar shape very much suggests a form of the knives used by the women for such purposes and termed 'ulu' (Stone , p.647).
These items, which evolved from early stone examples, are also described in "Eskimo and Native American Artifacts of North America", C.Miles, p.78, #3.28. The earlier examples are smaller with more closely radiused edge, but the later metal examples seem to have instances of the much wider, flared head with radiused edge. The other example, while again, axe like, seems to suggest something for scraping in the same manner. It is also noted these were equally used as chopping instruments in utility.

Just speculation of course, but the similarity seems compelling.

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote