Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th September 2006, 02:41 PM   #1
VVV

Default Keris Banjarmasin

I have just posted the last Keris that I acquired this Summer on the Kampungnet.
It happens to be two Keris from Banjarmasin which fascinated me because of my interest in Borneo blades and culture.
Please have a look at and I would appreciate your comments where I am mistaken or where I have questions.
You don't have to be a registered member at the Kampungnet to write comments.

http://www.kampungnet.com.sg/modules...view_album.php

BluErf also has a beautiful Banjarmasin hilted Keris of the rare Kerdas version, see this link.

It would be great if other forumites also could share their pictures of other Banjarmasin Keris in this thread for reference of hilt and sheath variations.

Michael
Attached Images

Last edited by VVV; 12th September 2006 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Wrong order of pictures
VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2006, 02:58 PM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Hopefully Michael , people will leave their comments here also; this is why we're here after all .

Rick
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2006, 03:17 PM   #3
VVV

Sorry Rick,

Of course all should leave their comments first of all here.

Michael
Old 13th September 2006, 08:42 AM   #4
drdavid

Default novice question

Dear Michael and other forumites, please excuse my very novice questions (actually they will continue to be novice for a long time I suspect), what are the typical characteristics of Banjarmasin Keris. From what I can see the hilt shape and heavy use of cut gems seems common. What else would be reasonably common features.
thank you
Drdavid
drdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2006, 01:33 PM   #5
David
Keris forum moderator

As one novice to another DrD, your questions are appreciated.
These are not a keris form i know all that much about, but i would assume that the jeweled hilt variety, while most easily recognizible, would not necessarily be common since the jewels are an obvious sign of wealth. I would imagine that Michaels third example is probably more common.
Is the ID of these keris based solely on the dress. To my eye the first 2 look to be at least Jawa influenced keris if not actually from there. Michaels third example is obviously Bugis and BluErf's is IDed as coming from Buton (Sulawesi) with a Banjarmasin hilt, so it is Bugis also. Was there much Keris forging in Banjarmasin and did they ever develop any particular blade forms that can be IDed as specifically Banjarmasin?
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2006, 09:05 PM   #6
VVV

Drdavid and David,

From the sources I have read it seems as if the typical characteristics of a Banjarmasin Keris is the dress (hilt and sheath).

The older blades were usually imported, mostly from Central Java. After Islam was introduced Bugis and Malay influence increased.
But a few of the blades were also locally produced in the style of the other regions.

The reason diamonds are used in abundance was because they were found in large amounts in the nearby Matapura. So probably they were relatively cheap? Usually they are not of a very high quality.
Also it's quite common that the Mendak is integrated in the hilt. The no 2, Garuda, example was the most popular one of the diamond and gold hilts.

The sheaths comes in several variations but the typical Banjarmasin sheath is the chubby Gayaman version that's smaller than the Javanese versions. A bit like a cross of the Gayaman and the crescent-shaped Sumatran/Malay Wrangka (Tangala/Sabit Bulan).
Like Gayo Keris it seems as if there was a lot of individual taste in the orders of the dress. That's why I was curious to see other Banjarmasin Keris on this thread.

Obviously Banjarmasin was a prosperous outpost because of the natural resources and the trading. So those that made a fortune there developed their own local hilt fashion that would have made even Liberace RIP happy.

Michael

Last edited by VVV; 14th September 2006 at 08:23 AM. Reason: translation error
Old 13th September 2006, 10:21 PM   #7
Naga Sasra

Arrow More Banjarmasin

VVV
You asked for other Banjarmasin pieces, the attached piece reflect a handle and dress that could be considered typical for the culture. (If there is such a thing as typical)
Attached Images

Naga Sasra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2006, 07:59 AM   #8
VVV

Thanks!

That's a nice one.
Do you have a picture of the hilt that shows "the face of the Garuda"?

Michael
Old 14th September 2006, 01:55 PM   #9
Naga Sasra

Thumbs up Face coming up

Michael.
Attached please find the photos you requested
Attached Images

Naga Sasra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2006, 02:42 PM   #10
VVV

Thanks!

It looks the same style as BluErf's Banjarmasin hilt, as well as my Sumbawa hilt. More obvious Garuda than the fairly abstract Kerdas hilt.
Triangular beak, eyes and crown. He is even holding the Amrita vessel, with the nectar of immortality that Garuda took from the Nagas, at the chest.
I wonder why the Banjarmasin hilts doesn't seem to hide the Garuda origin as much as the Bugis hilts?

Michael
Old 16th September 2006, 02:23 AM   #11
BluErf

Banjarmasin hilts - i.e. those covered with intan-intan (rough cut diamonds) - are made into all sorts of hilt forms, such as the 7-planar Javanese type, the Jawa demam type and the kerdas type shown here. This is not surprising, in my opinion, given that Banjarmasin sits at a confluence of cultures and along established intra-archipelago trade routes.

I have seen a Banjarmasin hilt on a South Sumatran keris, sourced from Sumatra. Coupled with the East Javanese keris (judging from the sheath) that Michael has above, I think there could be a case of Banjarmasin hilts made for export. Hence, the availability of hilts made to various forms.

I agree that the more distinctive Banjarmasin keris sheath is that gayaman-alike style with rounded daun-daun tips, like that posted by Naga Sasra. Sometimes, the hilt may be normal wooden ones, in jawa demam form, covered in geometrical motifs.

On the Bugis-style pistol-grip Banjarmasin hilts, I thought they are more heavily decorated because of stylistic preferences, just like Minang Kabau jawa demam hilts are more heavily carved compared to Riau and S. Malayan jawa demam hilts. The kerdas hilt is most likely an evolved form of the jawa demam. If the jawa demam is an abstract garuda, then the kerdas hilt would also be an abstract garuda. The Banjarmasin hilt is probably more of a case of floral motif evolution than a return to the recognition that the kerdas hilt is garuda, I thought. This is a topic for a separate discussion though.

Last edited by BluErf; 16th September 2006 at 02:33 AM. Reason: Misread the meaning of some posts I'm responding to.
BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2006, 11:01 AM   #12
Marcokeris

Another Banjarmasin hit is bronze rakshasa (demon). In my opinion this hit is very difficult to find. I saw this handle only one time in my life and i was really a fool not to buy it. In some books (Hulu keris, Traditional weapon of Indonesia, a Martin Kerner's book...) is possible to see this hilt.
Here i put two photos of popular handles.
Attached Images

Marcokeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2006, 01:46 PM   #13
VVV

Marcokeris,

Maybe I misunderstood you but I can't find any Banjarmasin Raksasa hilt in those books? Could you please let us know which page?
I have never seen any Banjarmasin hilt of a Raksasa so I am quite curious on what it looks like.

BluErf,

If not Garuda, what else could it be in this specific case?
But you are right that it is a topic for a separate discussion.

Michael
Old 18th September 2006, 12:48 PM   #14
Marcokeris

VVV,

In Zonneveld's book you can see a photo in the chapter about keris handles
In "hulu keris" there is a picture in the in the chapter of jawa (?) handle.
In the last M. Kerner book (i dont remember the name of the book because is is in deutsche language but ...is only about handles of private collectors) there is a photo in Banjarmasin section.

Here i put a black-white photo from an old italian book ("armi e armature orientali" by G. Vianello) where there is a keris from Rijskmuseum Leiden with similar Raksasa

In my opinion the pattern of these bronze handles comes from Cirebon raksasa (but i don't know why) even if they are a little more scary.

I put also another photo: it is a picture of an ivory handle discovered in Bali. In my opinion this handle is made in Jawa but it has something similar to the Banjarmasin raksasas

Marco
Attached Images

Old 18th September 2006, 02:17 PM   #15
Alam Shah

What Marco is referring to, is in Zonneveld's book, on page:68, Fig:255, labelled "South Kalimantan, collected in Banjarmasin, Bronze. H. 7.3cm", there is a hilt in the form of a raksasa in a squatting position. It looks like a mix between North Coast's, Tegal and Cirebon hilt form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcokeris
In "hulu keris" there is a picture in the in the chapter of jawa (?) handle.
In Suhartono Rahardjo's Ragam Hulu Keris Sejak Zaman Kerajaan book, Pg:25, Fig:33, labelled "Banjarmasin model Raksasa dari casting Brons dengan rangkaian batu permata", which literally translated, Banjarmasin raksasa model made from cast bronze with a row of cut precious stones. Hmmm... I have not seen this form before.

Quote:
In the last M. Kerner book (i dont remember the name of the book because is is in deutsche language but ...is only about handles of private collectors) there is a photo in Banjarmasin section.
The Martin Kerner's book is "Keris-Griffe - aus dem malayischen Archipel" Pg:25/59, Fig:16,53. Only have these references to the Banjarmasin hilt form that was already identified... no raksasa banjarmasin hilt unless you're referring to the one on pg:26, Fig:17 which refers to a Bhuta Nawasari form.

Quote:
I put also another photo: it is a picture of an ivory handle discovered in Bali. In my opinion this handle is made in Jawa but it has something similar to the Banjarmasin raksasas.
You mean the big nose?
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2006, 05:57 PM   #16
VVV

Thanks Marcokeris and Alam Shah,

Obviously I went through the books to fast last night when responding.

Shahrial, isn't Bhuta Nawasari a Raksasa prince or an incarnation of Shiva Bhairava?

As a collector of Visayan swords it's interesting to see the resemblence of the Leiden Keris hilt to the deity hilts of those swords?

Maybe those hilts are from the time when the Javanese Hindu influence was dominating Banjarmasin?

Michael
Old 18th September 2006, 09:23 PM   #17
David
Keris forum moderator

Michael, why do you feel that the ivory hilt is not from Bali?
Old 18th September 2006, 10:42 PM   #18
VVV

David,

Sorry, but I never commented the ivory hilt, found in Bali, above?
I wanted to focus on Banjarmasin in this thread.
Maybe some misunderstanding of what I wrote because English is not my native tongue?
But now when you bring it up it looks to me more like an East Javanese Nawasari (a blood drinking demon)? Also the bottom part of the hilt is not the usual shape to fit a Balinese Selut?
But I am aware of that there was a lot of cultural exchange between the old Hindu kingdom of Balambangan, East Java, and the neighbouring Bali so it's really hard to say for sure...

Michael

Last edited by VVV; 18th September 2006 at 10:58 PM.
Old 18th September 2006, 11:55 PM   #19
David
Keris forum moderator

Sorry Michael, my bad. Marco made that comment when he posted the picture originally.
Old 19th September 2006, 03:19 AM   #20
Alam Shah

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVV
Shahrial, isn't Bhuta Nawasari a Raksasa prince or an incarnation of Shiva Bhairava?

Maybe those hilts are from the time when the Javanese Hindu influence was dominating Banjarmasin?
With reference from Karsten Sejr Jensen's book, "Den Indonesiske Kris. Et symbolladet vaben", Pg:64-84. (English summary), Bhuta Nawasari or Siva Bhairava or raksasa prince are the same. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by Alam Shah; 19th September 2006 at 06:03 AM.
Old 19th September 2006, 05:08 AM   #21
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alam Shah
With reference from Karsten Sejr Jensen's book, "Den Indonesiske Kris. Et symbolladet vaben", Pg:64-84. (English summary), Bhuta Nawasari or Siva Bhairava or raksasa prince are the same. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I don't own this book, but i imagine your take on this reference is correct. I will, however, question the reference itself. Siva Bhairava ia an aspect of the god Siva (though certainly a terrible aspect). Bhuta Nawasari, as prince or king of the raksasa, is a demon. Can gods be demons (or visa versa) in the Hindu religion?
Old 19th September 2006, 05:57 AM   #22
Alam Shah

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I don't own this book, but i imagine your take on this reference is correct. I will, however, question the reference itself. Siva Bhairava ia an aspect of the god Siva (though certainly a terrible aspect). Bhuta Nawasari, as prince or king of the raksasa, is a demon. Can gods be demons (or visa versa) in the Hindu religion?
It's this book: The Indonesian Kris, A symbol charged weapon, written in Danish with English summaries. Hmmm... while checking the reference, I misunderstoond the meaning...Oppss! my mistake. I guess the forms are not the same. The hilt form is either one of the 3. Which one, I don't know, sorry. Perhaps others can assist.
Old 19th September 2006, 07:00 AM   #23
VVV

I think Karsten means that the three aspects are the same - direct, or indirect, manifestations of an aspect of Shiva Bhairavi.

Kerner also mentions this in "the big book" p. 77-81.
The logic seems to be, according to Kerner, that Bhutanata is Shiva as the Lord of the evil spirits. The Bhutas serve Bhutanata as punishers when he is a judge. The Bhutas eat flesh and drink blood. Bhuta Navasari is also known as Raksasa Bhairawa. The Bhairawas are the 8 x 8 terrible manifestations of Shiva.

Michael
Old 19th September 2006, 08:04 AM   #24
Marcokeris

Alam,
Kerner's book is "keris griffe aus museen und privat sammlungen" pag. 144.

David,
I think the handle comes from Jawa only for a certain similarity with tegal /cirebon handle and for the base of handle that is simply curved without angles (but it is only my impression, my be it comes from Bali. Also the seller didn't know where it comes)
Old 19th September 2006, 09:42 AM   #25
Alam Shah

Quote:
Alam,
Kerner's book is "keris griffe aus museen und privat sammlungen" pag. 144.
No wonder I cannot find. I don't have that book. Btw, Kerner do have a few books.