Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th May 2011, 10:40 PM   #1
Atlantia

Default Display ideas.

Following on from previous threads, discussions with friends and some head scratching, I decided to try and find a better way of displaying some of my collection.
Firstly I wanted a rack that would be usable for multiple types of sword and have room for some daggers too.
Secondly I wanted to display my Khanjar with it's belt attached.
As you can see, I spent some time creating a rather large wooden rack for the swords and daggers....
The Khanjar was more of a problem, so you'll see from my 'solution' I pretty much 'phoned it in' on that one

Anyone want to show their latest display solutions?
Attached Images

Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2011, 12:30 AM   #2
A.alnakkas

Beautiful display and i must say that i LOVE the idea. May use it to display my other "non" displayed swords and daggers

This is my display:
Attached Images

A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2011, 03:45 AM   #3
kahnjar1

Hi Gene,
Nice display but IMHO as previously commented, the "heavy" mounting board detracts from the items. My pick would be perspex to construct a rack of.
Personally I like to see the items "floating" rather than heavily attached to something. I have published the following pics before, but they give example of my meaning.
Stu
Attached Images

kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2011, 03:50 AM   #4
Battara
EAAF Staff

Well, ok here are some of mine:
Attached Images

Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2011, 04:00 AM   #5
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

VERY NICE!! DISPLAY CAN BECOME A REAL PROBLEM IF YOUR COLLECTION BECOMES VERY LARGE. I AM STILL TRYING TO FIGURE A WAY OF SAFELY MOUNTING THINGS ON THE CELING THAT DOSEN'T LOOK SILLY.
A SUGESTION FOR MOUNTING A DAGGER WITH BELT WOULD BE TO MAKE SOMETHING SIMULAR TO THE FITTINGS USED IN WRISTWATCH BOX THAT HOLDS THE BAND IN PLACE WITH THE WATCH NICELY PRESENTED. SOMETHING LARGE ENOUGH AND STRONG ENOUGH MAY ALREADY BE IN USE FOR OTHER THINGS. THANKS FOR SHAREING YOUR EXCELLENT COLLECTION.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2011, 10:39 AM   #6
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
Beautiful display and i must say that i LOVE the idea. May use it to display my other "non" displayed swords and daggers

This is my display:
Thats quite a collection you've got there Abdullatif!
Nice selection of types, but not too varied. Well displayed, I really like the large sloping rack!
Well done mate

Best
Gene
Old 29th May 2011, 11:33 AM   #7
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
Hi Gene,
Nice display but IMHO as previously commented, the "heavy" mounting board detracts from the items. My pick would be perspex to construct a rack of.
Personally I like to see the items "floating" rather than heavily attached to something. I have published the following pics before, but they give example of my meaning.
Stu
Hi Stu,

I think that perhaps of all of us, you have the collection that is the most difficult to display.
So perhaps it is only fair that you have the advantage of having such an amazing collection

As you know I only have two Arabian daggers (both with belts) and I can see why so many have sadly been parted from their belts, presumably in some cases by collectors wanting to more easily display them.

I have to say that for me (and I know it's just personal taste) I wanted a 'traditional' wooden main display rack. But it was also important that it could accomodate a variety of swords including straight, curved, long, short, bare bladed or in a variety of width scabbards.
With all that in mind, there were always going to have to be compromises.
The last one I made used wooden hooks like a Katana rack, but I found that bare blades tend to lean forwards or back and not want to sit 'straight'.
So! I did a few experiments and having looked at a friends tried the 'pegs' approach.
If you use a shallow angle on the pegs, and combine them with sturdy back 'pillars' the blades tend to sit straight and not 'tip forwards'. Also, it seems to work (as you can see in the pic) for just about any type of blade or scabbard.

Combined with centrally placed pegs and a back board for daggers.......
Then a top and bottom shelf for 'sundries'...

So I can put my long Jambiya on the top shelf because the belt fold nicely to form a 'stand' of sorts, but I still had no way to display the Khanjar....

I actually am going to try a 'futuristic' acrylic stand for it when I get time. But for now I think the Chinese plate stand (because it's a nice one) looks pretty good!

Best
Gene
Old 29th May 2011, 11:37 AM   #8
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
Well, ok here are some of mine:
Ahh, if only I had the room to create specific displays.
They look great!
Old 29th May 2011, 12:01 PM   #9
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
VERY NICE!! DISPLAY CAN BECOME A REAL PROBLEM IF YOUR COLLECTION BECOMES VERY LARGE. I AM STILL TRYING TO FIGURE A WAY OF SAFELY MOUNTING THINGS ON THE CELING THAT DOSEN'T LOOK SILLY.
A SUGESTION FOR MOUNTING A DAGGER WITH BELT WOULD BE TO MAKE SOMETHING SIMULAR TO THE FITTINGS USED IN WRISTWATCH BOX THAT HOLDS THE BAND IN PLACE WITH THE WATCH NICELY PRESENTED. SOMETHING LARGE ENOUGH AND STRONG ENOUGH MAY ALREADY BE IN USE FOR OTHER THINGS. THANKS FOR SHAREING YOUR EXCELLENT COLLECTION.
ROTF!!! If only the ceiling was an option!!
The watch idea has some legs though
You're very kind about my tiny collection (thats the best half you see there)
Old 29th May 2011, 12:07 PM   #10
Gavin Nugent

Default Display

I've been asked this question a few times....

My approach;

Step 1/ Buy a renovator and convince the broom pilot that what your doing is a good thing. Done.

Step 2/ Bang as many nails as you like in to the walls whilst you work out your displays. Over done.

Step 3/ Finish the renovations....stop banging nails in the walls for fear of being stabbed in my sleep. May never get done.

Step 4/ Stop buying swords.....yeah right!!

Step 5/ Mount a very large or several large colour coded boards with routed edges attached to the wall. Ensure recesses are in all the right spots for the correct grade of earth magent that is to be glued in place... the other end of the magent covered in velvet and let the magnets do their job leaving the effect of floating swords....not a new idea the magnets, they are seen in use with these pages....just my preference to mounting them....Wait and see.

....thats the long term plan....

Gav

Last edited by freebooter; 29th May 2011 at 12:55 PM.
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2011, 07:15 PM   #11
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Default The Rack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.alnakkas

This is my display:
Salaams,
Definitely like the big rack.. My team want one of those capable of showing 30 swords.. I thought of having a dining room totally surrounded with racks loaded floor to ceiling with swords.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2011, 07:22 PM   #12
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantia
Following on from previous threads, discussions with friends and some head scratching, I decided to try and find a better way of displaying some of my collection.
Firstly I wanted a rack that would be usable for multiple types of sword and have room for some daggers too.
Secondly I wanted to display my Khanjar with it's belt attached.
As you can see, I spent some time creating a rather large wooden rack for the swords and daggers....
The Khanjar was more of a problem, so you'll see from my 'solution' I pretty much 'phoned it in' on that one

Anyone want to show their latest display solutions?
Salaams, I think that looks great.
Old 29th May 2011, 07:44 PM   #13
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams, I think that looks great.
Thank you Ibrahiim,
Old 29th May 2011, 07:45 PM   #14
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebooter
I've been asked this question a few times....

My approach;

Step 1/ Buy a renovator and convince the broom pilot that what your doing is a good thing. Done.

Step 2/ Bang as many nails as you like in to the walls whilst you work out your displays. Over done.

Step 3/ Finish the renovations....stop banging nails in the walls for fear of being stabbed in my sleep. May never get done.

Step 4/ Stop buying swords.....yeah right!!

Step 5/ Mount a very large or several large colour coded boards with routed edges attached to the wall. Ensure recesses are in all the right spots for the correct grade of earth magent that is to be glued in place... the other end of the magent covered in velvet and let the magnets do their job leaving the effect of floating swords....not a new idea the magnets, they are seen in use with these pages....just my preference to mounting them....Wait and see.

....thats the long term plan....

Gav
LOL, sounds like a good plan Gav!
Old 29th May 2011, 09:15 PM   #15
A.alnakkas

Thanks all! I had a carpenter make this one for me. Its always nice to get a costume job.
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 12:38 AM   #16
rickystl

Beautiful displays - all!!!!
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 05:43 AM   #17
kahnjar1

Quote:
Hi Stu,

I think that perhaps of all of us, you have the collection that is the most difficult to display.
So perhaps it is only fair that you have the advantage of having such an amazing collection

As you know I only have two Arabian daggers (both with belts) and I can see why so many have sadly been parted from their belts, presumably in some cases by collectors wanting to more easily display them.

I have to say that for me (and I know it's just personal taste) I wanted a 'traditional' wooden main display rack. But it was also important that it could accomodate a variety of swords including straight, curved, long, short, bare bladed or in a variety of width scabbards.
The last one I made used wooden hooks like a Katana rack, but I found that bare blades tend to lean forwards or back and not want to sit 'straight'.
So! I did a few experiments and having looked at a friends tried the 'pegs' approach.
If you use a shallow angle on the pegs, and combine them with sturdy back 'pillars' the blades tend to sit straight and not 'tip forwards'. Also, it seems to work (as you can see in the pic) for just about any type of blade or scabbard.

So I can put my long Jambiya on the top shelf because the belt fold nicely to form a 'stand' of sorts, but I still had no way to display the Khanjar....

I actually am going to try a 'futuristic' acrylic stand for it when I get time. But for now I think the Chinese plate stand (because it's a nice one) looks pretty good!

Best
Gene
I can assure you that I have never (and would never) remove any belts from any Jambiya that I might acquire! Those you see without belts came that way, and I very much doubt that anyone would remove a belt just to make it easier to display!
Stu
Old 30th May 2011, 06:18 AM   #18
kahnjar1

Gene....further to my previous comments regarding the use of perspex/acrylic, check out DOMs post MY EDGHED WEAPONS MAY 2011 and you will see what I mean.
Stu
Old 30th May 2011, 07:23 AM   #19
Atlantia

Quote:
I can assure you that I have never (and would never) remove any belts from any Jambiya that I might acquire! Those you see without belts came that way, and I very much doubt that anyone would remove a belt just to make it easier to display!
Stu
Oh god no, I didn't mean you personally. I mean't that I can see why it may have happened in the past when collectors were a little less 'appreciative' of these items.
Of course I know you wouldn't do such a thing mate

P.S. I've seen much worse things done to display weapons: Scabbards discarded, hilts drilled.....

Best
Gene
Old 30th May 2011, 08:00 AM   #20
kahnjar1

Quote:
Oh god no, I didn't mean you personally. I mean't that I can see why it may have happened in the past when collectors were a little less 'appreciative' of these items.
Of course I know you wouldn't do such a thing mate

P.S. I've seen much worse things done to display weapons: Scabbards discarded, hilts drilled.....

Best
Gene
Of course not Gene. I did not for a moment think it was aimed at me, but it appears that the majority of these things which come up for sale tend NOT to have the belt attached, if of course they ever did. Somewhere on the Forum I think there was a post relating to the making of (particularly) Yemeni Jambiya, and in that country at least, most of the parts are made by different tradesmen......Blade, Handle, Belt etc., and assembled, rather than being made as one piece.
Did you have a look at DOMs post? His use of Acrylic/Perspex looks absolutely great IMHO.
By the way you have email.
Stu
Old 31st May 2011, 02:53 AM   #21
Berkley

Quote:
Gene....further to my previous comments regarding the use of perspex/acrylic, check out DOMs post MY EDGHED WEAPONS MAY 2011 and you will see what I mean.
Stu
Dom has a magnificent collection, and I agree that the acrylic stands avoid distracting from the object itself. I have not found any acrylic racks, however, that are designed for wall mounting. At some point the available horizontal surfaces become a bit crowded.
Attached Images

Berkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 05:45 AM   #22
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkley
Dom has a magnificent collection, and I agree that the acrylic stands avoid distracting from the object itself. I have not found any acrylic racks, however, that are designed for wall mounting. At some point the available horizontal surfaces become a bit crowded.
Hi Berkeley,
Long time no hear! Suggestion regarding wall mounting of acrylic stands would be to fashion some L shaped pieces of acrylic and attach to the original stand using suitable PVC cement which fuses the surfaces (as used with PVC Gutter)
Regards Stuart
Old 31st May 2011, 07:16 AM   #23
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Hi Berkeley,
Long time no hear! Suggestion regarding wall mounting of acrylic stands would be to fashion some L shaped pieces of acrylic and attach to the original stand using suitable PVC cement which fuses the surfaces (as used with PVC Gutter)
Regards Stuart
They can also be drilled, tapped and screwed as a local acrylic custom works does 5 mins form my home.
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 07:45 AM   #24
kai

I guess this is just a glitch, Stuart? Just to avoid others messing things up: acrylic and PVC are very different beasts. I'd recommend to only utilize dedicated adhesives for each.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 08:29 AM   #25
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
I guess this is just a glitch, Stuart? Just to avoid others messing things up: acrylic and PVC are very different beasts. I'd recommend to only utilize dedicated adhesives for each.

Regards,
Kai
Yes ....sorry Kai. I probably did not clearly convey what I meant, which was to use a cement which fused the acrylic. The PVC Gutter thing was used as an example.
Regards Stuart
Old 31st May 2011, 06:24 PM   #26
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Default Display.

Quote:
Hi Stu,

Best
Gene
Salaams, Its an interesting subject and we were just looking at the different designs ~ We tend to be a bit old fashioned .. so we are looking to re engineer an old Omani Door to take say 15 to 20 Omani swords rather like the woodwork version with the pegs. For the modern look perspex looks great.
Old 31st May 2011, 07:37 PM   #27
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
... and I agree that the acrylic stands avoid distracting from the object itself...
Sure thing, Berkley

Quote:
... I have not found any acrylic racks, however, that are designed for wall mounting...
Like so?

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 09:13 PM   #28
mrwizard

Hello Fernando,
After seeing your beautiful cup-hilt swords on the wall, i had an idea. With the right type of string this fixation is nearly invisible and surprisingly stable.

btw. disregard the sword. It's just a modern made replica.

Best Regards,
Thilo
Attached Images

mrwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 09:36 PM   #29
Dom

Hi guys,
very sad to don't share with you ideas of display,
but for the time being, I'm in this stage ...
in one/two months, I should be in the picture

à +

Dom

Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 10:09 PM   #30
Dom

Quote:
Did you have a look at DOMs post? His use of Acrylic/Perspex looks absolutely great IMHO.
just to help (?) you
don't be upset agains me because it's in French
but I didn't found something similar in English
the pics could give you ideas, and may be in your native countries,
you should found someone able to made more or less ... a copy ??
http://www.adequate-vitrine.fr/accessoire_soclage.php

à +

Dom
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote