Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th August 2006, 10:30 PM   #1
ausjulius

Default reproduction shashka/kindjals...

as were on the topic,
we , .. the factory i work at, are going to make several types of kindjal and shashka for export, to be produced in the traditional form , but not decorative items , but functional swords,, (not silver or damasucs steel blades, and engraving and such)
we currently make many types of kindjal and shashka , but they are all made in stainless steel. (shops request it in russia , as they dont like rust)
and are mad mostly to be hung on the wall, we made damascus steel weaponry,, but ther are just way out of reach of normal folks ,
anyway ,,,
were going to mae one model of shashka and one one kindjal, the shashka will be with a rivited wood handle or buffalo horn (its hard to get here now because there isnt many buffalo left) i would want to put most of the work into the blade and the sharpening not into the fittings,, , same with the kindjal,,
the sword will come with the original belt and fittings, , anyway we start tomorrow to make the prototypes for the models,, so ill keep you lot posted and see your opinions on the compleated swords,, we will make one or two of each and then test there blalnce and calculate the factory costs and such , sometimes a small item can make much more work and the knife or sord ends up with a vad prices ,, if you remove just that little thing it can reduce the amount of work , sometimes the item is eaiserly made had has a low production cost in which it can have features added to it... ect ect..
any way , i will see,, the grooves in the blades will most likely have to be machines as forging will take alot more work,, i would prefer them forged , but in the planned sword there is 3 large grooves on one side and two on the other , as is the style and this is hard to do when forging........
ausjulius is offline   Reply With Quote