Vikingsword Staff

Question Whatzit ??

Just closed :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2006, 10:25 PM   #2
Andrew

I'd call it a good deal.

This has an interesting combination of elements, and I'm not certain whether we're looking at something put together from pieces later in its life, or an original weapon.

The blade is a nice example of a Kachin (Jingpaw) dha. I think the other dha guys would agree this particular type with the slightly flared, straight blade may be a transitional form between the Naga dao and curved Kachin square-tipped dha blades.

The open sided scabbard reminds me of Naga dao scabbards, but I have seen some similar Kachin work.

The tiger jaw section is also something seen with Kachin weapons.

The guard looks Chinese to me, and is unusual on swords like this.

There are other interesting elements to this thing, but I'm short on time. Cool sword!
Attached Images

Last edited by Andrew; 31st January 2006 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Photos added for discussion purposes
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2006, 11:39 PM   #3
ariel

The blade looks very new, with no nicks, exceedingly well-defined fuller, sharply incised decorations and it looks like being mechanically polished.
The woodwork looks fantastic, but inconceivably intact with nary a chip! And the color is very fresh as if it never been exposed to the elements. I look at the rattan bindings and the wooden borders of the scabbard and cannot imagine that this blade was inserted and drawn more than twice in it's lifetime.
The only evidence of this sword being real is the bump on the handle.
Otherwise, I would define it as a very, very new production.
And, BTW, this ain't no tiger! Dog more likely and not very big, cockapoo size or thereabouts.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2006, 03:41 AM   #4
Andrew

I just took another, longer look at the auction photos. I agree Ariel: this doesn't look very old at all, particularly the scabbard. The section of jaw is tiny, too.

I'd still have paid that price for it, though. This may be new, but it's interesting to me.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2006, 03:46 AM   #5
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Cool

I have a feeling from looking at the bid history that the high bidder really wanted it badly and was willing to pay quite a bit more .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2006, 05:06 AM   #6
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

The combination of elements suggests a Kachin origin but from outside the normal "homeland" area in NW Burma. The open-faced scabbard suggests Assam. The unusual guard suggests a Chinese influence, perhaps Yunnan. Kachin are found in both of these areas.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote