Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23rd June 2013, 11:36 AM   #1
ExLibris

Default Katzbalger found at excavation and restored.

Dear forum members,

I'm currenly researching a sword that was found at an archaeological excavation of the medieval moat of the city of Eindhoven (the Netherlands) in 2007. The sword was returned in juni 2013 after a long restoration. The result is amazing! Because parts of the leather and wood were preserved, this sword is a kind of time capsule.

During my investigation I learned this sword is a Katzbalger, used by the Landsknechts in the 16th century. In this century Eindhoven was attacked several times. The most likely years that this sword was lost is probably 1542/1543, although there were also attacks on the town in 1529 and in the 1580's.

I have several questions about this sword:

- Where was it made? I presume in southern Germany or Switzerland.
- When was it made? The restorers dated it on 1550-1600, Cornelis Tromp from this forum dated it 1525-1550.
- In the scabbard were several tools found, like a Swiss army knife or a multi-tool. Was this common for this kind of swords of for swords in general?

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge on this interesting object!

Rob
Before restauration

After restoration
ExLibris is offline   Reply With Quote