Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd December 2005, 02:54 PM   #1
Andy Davis

Default Tulwar broadsword??

Hello all
Some of the observant of you may have seen this before but it arrived today and it seems a real oddity.
Rather short at 33" but most usable.
Odd brass open bell shaped pommel, closer to pulwar style but tulwar handle in all other respects. Cant see any joins, in body of handle, so seems a solid casting but light.
The blade???? double edged, broadsword in style with single fuller to both sides. Appears hand forged, as there is uneveness to it and may have originally been a little longer, as it appears to have been sharpend down over time.
Etching, is similar on both sides, moon and stars, which seems to occure on European and some North African swords
Seems to me to be a union of a early European style with Indian, though the kaskara likeness is also obvious. Any ideas?

Cheers
Andy
Attached Images

Andy Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2005, 03:25 PM   #2
Jens Nordlunde

Hi Andy,

If you trust Pant on this one, the hilt type is either from Sind or Delhi, although I have a feeling, that the slim hilts with the, not very big, saucer shaped discs, with the short not too thick quillons, would be from Sind.
The fluted design on the handle, and the ‘straps’ bound around the handle at the top and at the bottom, most likely is reminiscence from the very old hilts made of wood, where the fluted design represents leather or other material, wound around the hilt, kept in place by the ‘straps’.
The blade looks European to me, but it is hard to say, so as you have the sword, I will take your word for it, if you say it is Indian made, copying an European blade.
Nice tulwar.

Jens

Last edited by Jens Nordlunde; 22nd December 2005 at 04:12 PM.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2005, 03:54 PM   #3
ariel

Where did I read that a slightly downturned quillons are usually seen on older handles? Rawson?
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2005, 04:15 PM   #4
Lew
(deceased)

Hi Andy

So your the one who got this beauty I was bidding on it but forgot to up my bid a the last minute I think it is an older hilt style from the 1600s the blade seems German to me.

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2005, 04:33 PM   #5
Andy Davis

Default It was me

Hi Lew
Ah sorry about that. Most tulwars get spotted on Ebay and get a bit too pricey for what they are at times. This one seems to be one that got away, closed at an odd time or was forgotten by too many. I've done the same thing myself.
On this I just put in a price, that I thought it would go over and settled to the thought that somebody else would get it. I was bl****! surprised when I won. Not the first time thats happend but so very rarely.
While it has obviously been well maintained or restored in its lifetime, under the quillions, there is good honest dirt. Engraving ummm! really not sure, I think its a bit rough to be genuine European but then again early items are much rougher, in some cases.
Cheers for the info
Andy
Andy Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2005, 09:33 PM   #6
Jens Nordlunde

Hi Andy,

If you are not much interested – then why ask?

Yes Ariel, you are right, these down turned quillons are normally of the older type.

Jens
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote