Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 5th September 2009, 12:53 AM   #181
ariel

Two recent Russian movies
"Taras Bulba", after Gogol's novel (kozaks vs the Poles)
"1612", Polish invasion of Russia.
Both have plenty of kilijes, shamshirs, karabelas and fights galore.
Russian jingoism double galore.
But both utterly enjoyable and supervbly made.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2009, 03:17 AM   #182
Gavin Nugent

Default I look forward to viewing them

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Two recent Russian movies
"Taras Bulba", after Gogol's novel (kozaks vs the Poles)
"1612", Polish invasion of Russia.
Both have plenty of kilijes, shamshirs, karabelas and fights galore.
Russian jingoism double galore.
But both utterly enjoyable and supervbly made.
I look forward to viewing them Ariel, are they easily found?

I hope subtitled too...

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2009, 06:28 AM   #183
ThePepperSkull

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
was intrigued by the movie trailer, so i found a copy of the dvd with english subtitles, just finished watching it. not only were there lots of keris, but there were in fact many moro kris, complete with kakatua grips, horses hoof grips, baca-baca and all. the blade the head army guy used had an ivory kakatua grip, and a distinct central ridge. there were also quite a number of dyak swords amoungst the pirates, and even one interesting axe. looked like copper breastplates, some bronze spears and quite a few flintlocks. they even worked in leonardo style hang gliders, a neat form of chain shot and even some ninjas. japanese armour, plate suits, and a few more items of interest here. even the dragon mouthed cannon... most of the edged weapons looked like the real thing, at least in the quick glimpses. i think they must have had acess to a museum or an old armoury somewhere.

all in all a quite good film. you do need to get it with your languages subtitles if you do not speak the language.
I've actually found a DVDrip torrent of the film and am watching it now with some english subtitles I found separately. Dan Chupong and Tony Jaa (the latter is not in the movie) are great stuntmen.

And his kris with the kakatua pommel is very nice. It's great to see the detail of research they put into the costuming for this semi-fantasy film. The kakatua pommel DOES look a little off to me though. Again, this could be any number of reasons, but it is a thai production and a lot of cultures' weapons from neighboring regions have been borrowed for aesthetic purposes.

In any case, it's great to see a swashbuckling movie taking place somewhere that's not commonly shown in films. And being that I'm filipino with some Indonesian and moro ancrestry, it's great to see a fantasy film inspired by malay folklore for a change.

PLUS, you can never go wrong with pirate ninjas.

Last edited by ThePepperSkull; 5th September 2009 at 06:43 AM.
ThePepperSkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2009, 09:35 AM   #184
ariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebooter
I look forward to viewing them Ariel, are they easily found?

I hope subtitled too...

Gav
http://www.russiandvd.com/store/prod...d=&genresubid=

http://www.ruskniga.com/sell.asp/Ite...ory/DVD/sc/194

I do not know what system do you have down under, but they can be played on the computer. You will have to learn Russian, though..... :-)
Old 3rd January 2010, 08:07 AM   #185
ThePepperSkull

A closer look at Dan Chupong's Lord Jarang Character with his Kris Sundang:

Very interesting. The sheath is lovely, and to me has a very Keris Sundang Melayu (as opposed to Mindanao/Moro kris) feel to it. The handle is nice, however the pommel seems little off. Is there any historical precedence for this specific kind of kakatua-like pommel, or should this just be chalked up to movie reproduction being a little less than historically accurate (which in this context wouldn't be a problem as this is a fantasy film anyhow. )

I'm also trying to get a good screenshot of the blade, which from what I can tell has three waves.

Last edited by ThePepperSkull; 3rd January 2010 at 07:48 PM.
ThePepperSkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2010, 03:40 PM   #186
Lee
EAAF Staff

Default Tuareg in Egypt?!? Valley of the Kings

Yesterday I stumbled on to Valley of the Kings (1954) on TCM. Oddly (and the script writer clearly knew it, as a character questioned same being so far east), there was a 'Tuareg' band camped close to the Nile. Captured and challenged as a liar, the lead had to prove himself with takouba and shield: the shields actually looked convincingly genuine and a decent effort had been made on the sword props. Largely filmed on location, the movie is still enjoyable as a travelogue and the fight choreography was, at least, interesting.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2010, 05:08 PM   #187
kronckew

a segment of the film with the aforementioned fight scene:
Linky to video
not bad...
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2010, 09:40 PM   #188
KuKulzA28

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
a segment of the film with the aforementioned fight scene:
Linky to video
not bad...
you're right, not bad at all... I was expecting cheesy and inaccurate... but you know what, the fight scene was enjoyable... not overly clean and not overly gory... it was somewhat realistic, though I got the impression that neither was a skilled fighter but that the local at least had some sword&shield experience (I know its a movie)... I like how there was shield bashing, shield parrying, sword disarms... and cleverness on the archeologist's part, though pulling off the face-covering was kinda low... the local lost his will after that. But hey, the archeologist coulda thrown some elbows and knees...
KuKulzA28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 05:29 AM   #189
Nathaniel

If you liked Suriyothai
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeD3MhlUL-E

...this one is even better...Thai Trilogy about the great King Naresuan.

Part one...that came out in 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVbAKJ_N6Fo

Part two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwn3k...eature=related

Background
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Naresuan_%28film%29

Part III to come out this spring....can't wait to see it
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 01:36 PM   #190
Nathaniel

Plus, another movie I haven't heard anyone mention yet is the John Woo Film, Red Cliff...they have English subtitles for it now and it's in some theaters...they condensed from two parts into one from the Chinese version...it's a very good movie...here is the trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_W7HPCX8x8
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 03:04 PM   #191
migueldiaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaniel
Plus, another movie I haven't heard anyone mention yet is the John Woo Film, Red Cliff...they have English subtitles for it now and it's in some theaters...they condensed from two parts into one from the Chinese version...it's a very good movie...here is the trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_W7HPCX8x8
Nathaniel, thanks for the links! Nice

As for Red Cliff, just saw a flying white dove in the trailer. It's a John Woo movie all right. He's one of my favorite directors, too.
migueldiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2010, 11:56 PM   #192
migueldiaz

Robert Rodriguez has a new film, Machete. The trailer is here. The cast includes Robert De Niro, Steven Seagal, Michelle Rodriguez, Cheech Marin, Jessica Alba, et al.

If Quentin Tarentino is your cup of tea, then this movie is for you
Attached Images

Old 24th July 2010, 01:38 AM   #193
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Talking

WoW !!

Talk about Wet Work ...!
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2010, 01:59 AM   #194
ariel

It premiers in..... Kazakhstan, of all places!!!
On August 19, 2010.
Borat must have exerted his influence in Hollywood.
Old 24th July 2010, 02:14 AM   #195
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Talking

How the devil did you find that out, Ariel ?

Mondo Cane .......
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2010, 04:30 AM   #196
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

THIS MOVIE JOGED MY MEMORY OF A MACHETE THERION HAD. HE MADE TWO POSTS ON IT WHICH CAN BE FOUND IN THE ARCHIVES. POST #1 HUGE HORN HANDLED MACHETE THE SECOND POST WAS "MEXICAN MONSTER MACHETE" POST 1/30/2004. IN THAT POST HE SAID THE MACHETE HAD BEEN BOUGHT BY PRETTY DANGEROUS FILM CO. AND IT WAS TO BE USED IN A MOVIE CALLED "EL CHARRO" I WONDER IF THE FILM WAS EVER MADE?
HERE IS A PIC. OF THE WEAPON IT IS 34IN. LONG WITH A 27.5 IN. BLADE AND IS 4 AND A QUARTER INCH WIDE.
Attached Images

VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2010, 09:55 AM   #197
kronckew

a bit more decorative version, bit more movie compatible:

26" blade, acapulco style like the therion, made in oxaca
Old 25th July 2010, 11:35 AM   #198
migueldiaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
THIS MOVIE JOGED MY MEMORY OF A MACHETE THERION HAD. HE MADE TWO POSTS ON IT WHICH CAN BE FOUND IN THE ARCHIVES. POST #1 HUGE HORN HANDLED MACHETE THE SECOND POST WAS "MEXICAN MONSTER MACHETE" POST 1/30/2004. IN THAT POST HE SAID THE MACHETE HAD BEEN BOUGHT BY PRETTY DANGEROUS FILM CO. AND IT WAS TO BE USED IN A MOVIE CALLED "EL CHARRO" I WONDER IF THE FILM WAS EVER MADE?
HERE IS A PIC. OF THE WEAPON IT IS 34IN. LONG WITH A 27.5 IN. BLADE AND IS 4 AND A QUARTER INCH WIDE.
vandoo, apparently a "charro" movie was made all right
Attached Images

Old 26th July 2010, 04:37 PM   #199
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Ahhh , if wishes were fishes ......... <sigh>

I'm still waiting for the Hollywood clowns to release Farewell To The King on DVD .
Hey Rick, i'm watching this right now on the THIS movie network on regular TV. Great flick with lots of mandaus.
Apparently a region 1 edition is available on amazon for about 12 bucks.
Attached Images

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 06:46 PM   #200
ariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
How the devil did you find that out, Ariel ?

Mondo Cane .......

Look here, just under the screen:
http://www.mixx.com/videos/13947358/...l_trailer_2010
Old 11th October 2010, 03:41 PM   #201
Lew
(deceased)

Default Hildago

Just got through watching Hidalgo thought it was funny to see all these Saudis wearing Moroccan Koummya and the dagger that Omar Sharif had tucked in his belt was something really strange?

http://www.allmoviephoto.com/photo/2...dalgo_005.html

Last edited by Lew; 11th October 2010 at 04:12 PM.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2010, 04:40 PM   #202
kronckew

this one from the same film has a nimcha for a saif. after a bit of searching thru the internet i found that the film was made 'on location' in the USA and, wait for it....Morocco. would have never guessed.

that nimcha reminds me of a photo of one someone posted here recently from an antique store in morocco, silver grip and scabbard....
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 11th October 2010 at 05:09 PM.
Old 23rd December 2011, 02:05 AM   #203
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

THE LATEST REMAKE OF "THE THREE MUSKETEERS" WAS FUN IT WAS CAST WELL AND THE CINIMA AND EFFECTS WERE ON A PAR WITH THE PIRATES OF THE CARABEEN MOVIES EVEN SOME OF THE SAME CAST. LOTS OF ACTION AND SWORD FIGHTING PRETTY MUCH ENTIRELY THEATRICAL BUT A FUN MOVIE THAT KEEPS MOVING. CURRENTLY OUT 2011 NOT SURE IF AVAILABLE ON DVD YET.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2014, 12:26 PM   #204
Bill M

Just saw an interesting movie regarding the Ottoman Turks attempted invasion of Vienna, and got their tushes kicked by the Winged Hussars. As you all may know I am fascinated by the Winged Hussars heavy cavalry.

The Turks decided to attack Vienna and turn the churches into Mosques. If this was successful, they were going to press on to Rome and turn every Cathloic church into a mosque. With 300,000 soldiers against Vienna's 60,000 it looked like a slam dunk until the Winged Hussars charged and in three hours dramatically changed the battle from a rout of the Viennese to a massive retreat of the Turks.

The Turks left in such a hurry, running for their lives, that they left behind EVERYTHING! Weapons, tents, even their coffee beans (not in the movie). The Viennese grabbed up the beans, even opened coffee roasting plant where the Turks dropped them. Vienna is now know for great coffe, and here is where it started.

The battle took place on 9/11 1683.

Well worth a look.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1899285/
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2014, 02:55 PM   #205
Shakethetrees

Everyone seems to have forgotten the 1930's version of the Four Feathers, by the Korda brothers.

I think four versions have been made since the 1920's. I haven't seen the earlier version, but don't waste your time on the 1970's or the 1990's/2000's versions.

The one I recommend was filmed on original locations with either participants or the sons of participants. The technical consultants were accredited participants. The British side used all original uniforms and kit, and the Sudanese were shown as the were, original weapons and colorful clothing and no "costumes" designed by a costume designer. There was no artistic license taken by the director.

It shows the Sudan Campaign of the 1890's. In interviews with the cast, the battle scenes were so ferocious that the Western actors in some cases thought they were going to get torn apart.

In the last five or ten years it's become readily available again.

Lush photography, accuracy in the depiction of large scale attacks pre CG, cast of thousands, literally, and weapons galore!
Shakethetrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2014, 03:23 PM   #206
CharlesS

I have seen the movie Bill is referring to and it is quite fun...though I was pulling for the Turks, even already knowing the outcome!...BUT I did not know the movie by that name, The Day of the Siege. The version I saw was from the UK and was titled Siege Lord II. They are the same movie.

Not many movies done on military...or any other...subjects of this period, so it's a good one to watch. The costumes are a little hokey, especially for the Turks, but don't let that turn you off to an otherwise fun movie!
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2014, 06:37 PM   #207
Norman McCormick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M

The Turks left in such a hurry, running for their lives, that they left behind EVERYTHING! Weapons, tents, even their coffee beans (not in the movie). The Viennese grabbed up the beans, even opened coffee roasting plant where the Turks dropped them. Vienna is now know for great coffe, and here is where it started.

The battle took place on 9/11 1683.

Hi,
This sword of mine has an earlier Ottoman blade mounted with a later 1850 pattern Austrian hilt. I contacted the Army Museum in Vienna and they told me that this was a popular configuration amongst the officer class. Many of these trophy blades are regarded as heirlooms and were handed down through the generations and mounted with the regulation hilt of the day. I like to think that there is the chance that this blade was captured at the Siege of Vienna but of course I have no means to prove the possibility either way. Hope this is of some interest.
Regards,
Norman.
Attached Images

Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2014, 08:10 PM   #208
drac2k

Great movies with great weapons :
Seven Samurai
The Samurai Trilogy...Musashi Miyamoto, The Duel at Ichijaji Temple, and finally The Duel at Ganuzyu Island
Legend of the Tsunami Warrior
Apocalypto
Warriors of the Rainbow
Best movie that I have never seen and should be made(if it has, someone please tell me), the defense of the Island of Malta by the Hospitallers in 1565 against the full might of the Ottoman Empire !
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote