Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th October 2007, 03:57 PM   #1
Virga

Default Damaged Kris

I was given a Kris from Java by my parents, but the scabbard is slightly damaged.
Should I bring it to the blacksmith or goldsmith to repair or will it only cause more damage?
If possible, can I find out what the history of this piece is? It has only been in the family since the 60's.
Attached Images

Virga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2007, 09:27 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Welcome to the forum Virga.
Well, i'm don't think that is gold. Maybe gold plate, but i can'y tell from the photo. So i don't think a goldsmith will be much good to you. Is the pendok just crushed a little or is it actually broken open? Your pictures don't tell. Close-ups would help. Is the metalwork all connected or will the pendok slide off the stem? If it does you may be able to tap out the dents with a long stick and a rubber hammer.
Overall the dress doesn't really look like it is in seriously bad condition. Personally i would be more concerned about restoring the blade.
BTW, the blade might be from Jawa, but the dress is not. Sumatra maybe?
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2007, 10:13 PM   #3
Virga

Thank you for your comment.

The pendok is still closed at the bottom, but severely crushed. It is made out of brass and the decoration on the pendok is only on 1 side.
The inner side is covered with wood and the pendok can be separated from the top part containing the wranka.
I have to say that I am not an expert on this subject. I will post some close up pictures tomorrow whit daylight.
The deer like creature is a kantjil, a dwarve deer only found on Java.
On the island there are many fables about this animal outwitting its enemies.
Virga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2007, 12:47 AM   #4
A. G. Maisey

To adequately repair the dents in this pendok, a mandrel is required. Only the maker, or somebody working in this craft would have a suitable mandrel.

A makeshift job could be done by using a long piece of wood with a rounded curve at its tip to just lift the dents a bit from the inside.The dents would be lifted out, or pressed out. It would be worked cold, use of heat would raise the risk of loosening the solder joints.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote