Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 11th October 2006, 12:09 PM   #1
Spunjer

Default Prices on ebay...

funny how prices are structured on ebay. sure, there are no set prices or guidelines to go by on moro weapons, but i wonder how much would these weapons be if it wasn't for newbies and/or unknowledgeable collectors? here's a prime example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

this gunong ended a couple of weeks ago, and meanwhile this ended last night:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

granted, it's relatively still within reach to an average collector, i notice that the average price being paid for these heirlooms are getting rediculous, which in turn, it somehow gives antique sword dealers a reason to start listing moro weapons with unrealistic prices. i really doubt the gas prices has anything to do with prices of sundangs nowadays
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2006, 12:50 PM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Agreed Ron.

I had a little fling on the second one last night and didn't come close. Ebay is always coming up with surprises. Don't know that we are necessarily seeing a big recent shift in prices -- Moro pieces in general have been climbing fairly steadily over the last 5-10 years. Used to see good barung and kris in the $150-200 range, but almost twice that now for similar pieces. No doubt others can go back further and quote even lower prices.

Perhaps this Forum has something to do with the increase in prices of Philippine weapons in general. Certainly it ofers more information than any other single site on the different tribal forms of these weapons, and some of our members have their own informative web sites.

Key sites like Oriental Arms, Ashoka Arts, Lion Gate, etc. have tended to push/reflect the market limits for Philippines weapons. Good stuff, well described and in good condition does command higher prices -- but the high end tends to drag the lower end along as less discerning buyers try to catch up.

The ethnographic edged weapon market has seen many cycles of popularity. Japanese swords are a good example, and more recently Islamic swords. I'm sure Lee could tell us tales about medieval and earlier period swords that have gone through similar inflationary periods.

Personally I'm waiting for the great dha explosion so I can retire.

Ian.

Last edited by Ian; 11th October 2006 at 01:04 PM.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2006, 02:01 PM   #3
Lew
(deceased)

Personally I'm waiting for the great dha explosion so I can retire.

Ian.[/QUOTE]

Ian

Looks like you are going to be working for a long time Unless some rich oil man decides he likes dhas.

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2006, 11:29 PM   #4
Bill M

Sorry and uh oh.....
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote