Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th June 2012, 05:01 AM   #1
christek

Default Vanuatu mace/club?

Hi all,
I have had this club for a long time now, and before that, it was my Grandfathers. It is quite hard to find out much about this weapon. I think it’s an African club, but I am unsure. It seems quite old, but I do not know its origins. I do know it is at least 50 years old. I do love this club either way, but is there any way to distinguish between a 'tourist piece' or a genuine war club? One would assume that’s a difficult task. Regards.

Note: After some helpful advice it appears that this may be a Vanuatu War Club.
Attached Images

Last edited by christek; 12th June 2012 at 01:27 PM.
christek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 12:19 PM   #2
KuKulzA28

Absolute garbage... but it's ok, I like rubbish, mail it to me, and I'll save you from the embarassement of owning such a... thing.

Actually...

I think it's a Vanuata warclub, but aside from that I don't know much else.

I think you should definitely hold onto it.
KuKulzA28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 01:11 PM   #3
Tim Simmons

Yes, New Hebrides. A very nice club indeed but a common form, not taking any thing away because of that. It seems to be a form found on many of the Islands that make up present day Vanuatu. In "Ethnology Of Vanuatu, An early twentieth century study, Felix Speiser, Hawaii University Press" there are illustrated similar clubs that are recorded as being fron Malakula Island and Efate. Your club looks very much as if it is also from the very early part of the 20th century. Nice thing to have. If you cannot find room for????

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 12th June 2012 at 01:23 PM.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 01:47 PM   #4
christek

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuKulzA28
Absolute garbage... but it's ok, I like rubbish, mail it to me, and I'll save you from the embarassement of owning such a... thing.
Haha thankyou for the kind offer

Thank you KuKulz for the helpful advice. I have now been researching this as a Vanuatu war club, and it really matches some other Vanuatu clubs I have found on the net. I will post the pics for you to see. I also called up my father and he clearly remembers it was in their house when he was a boy, so now we know it was defiantly around in the late 1940-50's. I am also frantically searching for a hard-wood carved mask that I can remember receiving with the club (I think they are closely linked) - it may help with a better ID of this piece. I will post up pics, if i find it
Attached Images

Old 12th June 2012, 02:16 PM   #5
christek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons
Yes, New Hebrides. A very nice club indeed but a common form, not taking any thing away because of that. It seems to be a form found on many of the Islands that make up present day Vanuatu. In "Ethnology Of Vanuatu, An early twentieth century study, Felix Speiser, Hawaii University Press" there are illustrated similar clubs that are recorded as being fron Malakula Island and Efate. Your club looks very much as if it is also from the very early part of the 20th century. Nice thing to have. If you cannot find room for????
Hi Tim,
Very interesting! Thank you for your reply. I now have even more information for the continued research of this piece. I think your opinion is almost spot on. As stated above, I know this club was owned by my family in the late 1940's, and when I was a kid (1980's) my grandfather told me it was very old and to look after it! It has been a dust collector in the attic for many years. Even though I have recently been only collecting swords, I thought it would be a nice addition to the collection.
Regards
Old 12th June 2012, 04:02 PM   #6
Sajen

Hello Christek,

agree with the others that this is a Vanuatu club, at the first glance they all in the same style but when you look close there are many different styles.

This one was in my collection and now in the collection of a other member.

Regards,

Detlef
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 05:29 PM   #7
Tim Simmons

It would be nice to see the mask. There is a masking culture in the New Hebrides they tend to be small and often modelled. Here are my New Hebridean clubs. I have a very interesting one still to arrive that I believe is not at all common.
Attached Images

Old 13th June 2012, 02:11 PM   #8
christek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons
It would be nice to see the mask. There is a masking culture in the New Hebrides they tend to be small and often modelled. Here are my New Hebridean clubs. I have a very interesting one still to arrive that I believe is not at all common.

Still looking for the mask Will try parents’ house next.

There are some fantastic examples posted! I sense a new found passion for collecting Oceanic war clubs Thank you all for your comments and sharing these great works of art.

Tim, would be great to see your new piece when it arrives.
Regards.
Old 13th June 2012, 05:54 PM   #9
Tim Simmons

Just thought I should add this here too.
Attached Images

Old 17th June 2012, 12:08 PM   #10
christek

Default Found... um mask??

Well here it is,

It’s not really a mask as I recalled, I am not even sure it complements the club, although I know it has to be quite old as it's story is similar to the clubs. It appears to be a carved piece designed for hanging on the wall. It is broken unfortunately.

A kind thank you to all who have commented and shared their wonderful pieces of art.

Regards.
Attached Images