Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th February 2024, 01:47 PM   #1
David R

Default New bought Pedang for comment and opinions.

Back from the weekends antics and came away from a local collectors fair with this one. I am still a little ambivalent about it, but the price was right and I like the blade, not so sure about the mounts. Blade length dead on 19 inches, or 482 mm..... And yes, I think the blade has been over-cleaned as well!
Attached Images

David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2024, 05:57 PM   #2
Rafngard

I'm pretty sure the blade is a cundrik from Lombok.
The mountings are unusual, but definitely fit for Lombok.

Here's my example.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=23648

Have fun,
Leif
Rafngard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2024, 06:37 PM   #3
David R

I am in agreement with you there, in fact I saw your blade while digging around for info on mine.
I have little doubt that blade and scabbard match, but I would not be at all surprised if the hilt is a later replacement.
Old 12th February 2024, 09:45 PM   #4
kai

Hello David & Leif,

The typical cundrik has a straight blade (e.g. Leif's example linked above). This variant blade type is slightly curved and often comes with this specific hilt (makara morphing into a rooster); I assume, the origins of both types lies with Bali and those many examples from Lombok seem to be exclusively from those regions colonised by Balinese rulers. Thus, the polished blade just needs a fresh stain to be in line with Bali aesthetics.

I believe that the blade and pommel are old (19th c.) and of good quality while the metal sheet fittings are later replacements (the ferrule third might well be original though - should be real silver); this late and low-level decor (mamas or some other whitish brass alloy) is typically found on pieces collected from Lombok, indeed.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2024, 10:20 PM   #5
David R

Thank you for that information, what would you suggest for a stain, I would prefer to avoid toxic chemicals for obvious reasons.
Just to say, I really like and appreciate the expertise on this site.... I would be lost without it, especially when it comes to pieces from this part of the world.
Old 13th February 2024, 03:06 PM   #6
Sajen

Hello David,

I agree nearly with everything Kai has stated. It's a pedang most probably from Lombok. The fittings are like Kai stated from mamas but I guess that the handle fittings are all from mamas and from the same age since the engraved flowers are very similar.
The blade isn't overcleaned IMVHO but can need further polish before you try an etch. When you don't want to use a chemical etch try to etch it with instant coffee, with a little luck it will work. It's a very nice blade!

Attached are my own pedang collection from Lombok, only the second one from up is a pedang from Sumatra. The two in down and the third from up have as well fittings from mamas, the others have silver fittings at the handles.

Regards,
Detlef
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2024, 03:24 PM   #7
Sajen

And here an interesting thread regarding staining a pedang: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=pedang
Old 18th February 2024, 01:35 AM   #8
kai

Hello Detlef,

Quote:
I agree nearly with everything Kai has stated. It's a pedang most probably from Lombok. The fittings are like Kai stated from mamas but I guess that the handle fittings are all from mamas and from the same age since the engraved flowers are very similar.
Yes, that's the lower quality I was referring to; only the basal third (the broadened part next to the blade) might be older (if the material is actually different).

Quote:
The blade isn't overcleaned IMVHO but can need further polish before you try an etch. When you don't want to use a chemical etch try to etch it with instant coffee, with a little luck it will work. It's a very nice blade!
This or tannic acid might be worth a try; phosphoric acid might also work to bring laminations out. If nice pamor/laminations are showing up, only etching with arsenic will bring them out as needed from a traditional point of view.

Quote:
Attached are my own pedang collection from Lombok, only the second one from up is a pedang from Sumatra. The two in down and the third from up have as well fittings from mamas, the others have silver fittings at the handles.
I actually wasn't referring to the common pedang (or kelewang according to Djelenga) which is basically single-edged.

This is actually another type of blade that is based on the typical straight, double-edged cundrik blade - just curved and usually a bit longer...

Here are 3 more examples of this specific pattern/type.

Regards,
Kai
Attached Images

kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2024, 11:05 AM   #9
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai View Post
Yes, that's the lower quality I was referring to; only the basal third (the broadened part next to the blade) might be older (if the material is actually different).
Yep, I understand you wrong, sorry! But I still think that all is original since the fittings on the scabbard are also from mamas.

Quote:
This or tannic acid might be worth a try; phosphoric acid might also work to bring laminations out. If nice pamor/laminations are showing up, only etching with arsenic will bring them out as needed from a traditional point of view.
Jep, agree with you. But since David won't use strong chemicals, instant coffee would be an alternative to show the pattern. But I would recommend further polish.

Quote:
I actually wasn't referring to the common pedang (or kelewang according to Djelenga) which is basically single-edged.

This is actually another type of blade that is based on the typical straight, double-edged cundrik blade - just curved and usually a bit longer...

Here are 3 more examples of this specific pattern/type.
Yes, you are correct, you should have a X-ray vision, all shown examples are single edged. I've shown them regarding mamas/silver fittings.

Best,
Detlef