Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 18th April 2006, 02:23 AM   #1
Andrew

Cool Copper Bladed Mak

I recently picked up this mak from eBay. To my suprise and delight, the blade is copper! Quite large, heavy and sharp, too.

To my eye, the wood handle and blade exhibit significant age. The wood is hard, dark and well-seasoned. The patination on the blade is a deep, rich brown, almost black in places. A few, small areas of verdigris are present, and the copper material is most evident at the edge (where sharpened) and in small areas near the handle where cleaning was undertaken. The white metal plate affixed to the base of the blade and the bands seem like more recent additions, as they are more crudely manufactured than the rest of the weapon, and affixed by nails.

The seller provided this information:

Quote:
This sword was found in Bangkok Thailand and is thought to origionate from Burma. It is 26 inches in length and consistant with a style that indicates it is over 100 years of age.
The style is significantly older than 100 years. The copper blade is a puzzle, though.
Attached Images

Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2006, 02:38 AM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

It might be that in Thailand copper is considered an especially deadly or spiritually signifigant metal .

In Toer's Buru Quartet series written about colonial Jawa there is an asassination done with a non ferrous blade because of its supposed superior deadly properties .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2006, 04:30 AM   #3
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Andrew:

Interesting item. Blade decoration looks N. Thai or Lao.

I think copper per se would be too soft to hold any kind of edge. Much more likely to be an alloy of copper, and bronze obviously comes to mind because it can be quite hard and durable (much more so than brass). What chance this may be an old bronze mak? In which case it could be a very old blade.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2006, 04:43 AM   #4
Andrew

Hi Ian. I had similar thoughts on the decorative motifs.

If it's not copper, the blade must be a very high-copper content alloy. In some areas, the metal has a shiny, red appearance. It seems like it's holding a nice edge, but it must be fairly soft as the very distal 0.3 cm of the tip is folded over on itself. It's pretty substantial, enough so that I'd be suprised if this was a purely ceremonial weapon. (Although the extreme rarity of useable copper-bladed weapons in general doesn't really support this. ).

I'll try to get some close-ups posted. The auction photos aren't great.
Old 18th April 2006, 04:46 AM   #5
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
It might be that in Thailand copper is considered an especially deadly or spiritually signifigant metal .

In Toer's Buru Quartet series written about colonial Jawa there is an asassination done with a non ferrous blade because of its supposed superior deadly properties .

Something's definitely "up" with this one, Rick. In my research, I have yet to come accross anything specifically relating to any special properties assigned to copper in Continental SEA. Copper use does have a long history in the region, and it's frequently seen as decoration on weapons, but this is the first such weapon I've personally seen or handled.

Maybe PUFF can help us out here?

EDIT: I do recall reading somewhere (Philip Tom article, perhaps) that some Vietnamese parade weapons were made with copper blades. Non-ancient copper weapons are, in my limited experience, rare, particularly in regions with better weapon-making materials and technology available.
Old 18th April 2006, 05:52 AM   #6
Titus Pullo

It looks as if they might have used it for plowing the land to grow crops.
Titus Pullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2006, 07:08 AM   #7
PUFF

Location: 30 miles north of Bangkok, 20 miles south of Ayuthaya, Thailand

As Rick metioned, there is a believe that copper contains a power of "spell bleaching". So, copper-bearing weapons 's a choice when dealing with a person with spiritual protection (tatoo, amulet etc.). That 's why some blades are decorated with copper plugs. IMHO, a blade made of copper or bronze like this might be used by a law enforcer in a mission against spiritual-protected bandit .

The blade can be harden by work hardening (cold working), which 's enough to make a simple cutting tool.

I have never saw Siamese weapons like this nor heard of Siamese "mak". (I have to check with the museum or other experts) The word could be Burmese, as described by the former owner (Mak in Burmese means army, soldier).

Last edited by PUFF; 18th April 2006 at 07:28 AM.
PUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2006, 10:28 AM   #8
PUFF

Location: 30 miles north of Bangkok, 20 miles south of Ayuthaya, Thailand

I know only this one,

PUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2006, 02:42 PM   #9
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUFF
As Rick metioned, there is a believe that copper contains a power of "spell bleaching". So, copper-bearing weapons 's a choice when dealing with a person with spiritual protection (tatoo, amulet etc.). That 's why some blades are decorated with copper plugs. IMHO, a blade made of copper or bronze like this might be used by a law enforcer in a mission against spiritual-protected bandit .

The blade can be harden by work hardening (cold working), which 's enough to make a simple cutting tool.

I have never saw Siamese weapons like this nor heard of Siamese "mak". (I have to check with the museum or other experts) The word could be Burmese, as described by the former owner (Mak in Burmese means army, soldier).
Thanks for the information, Puff. These aren't particularly common, except, perhaps in more recent, rudimentary forms likely used more as tools. Ian has a nice example we've discussed before:

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=%2Amak
Old 18th April 2006, 02:33 PM   #10
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus Pullo
It looks as if they might have used it for plowing the land to grow crops.
Unlikely, especially with a copper blade.