Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Miscellania
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 7th July 2023, 03:13 AM   #1
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Cool New Treasure Found Off Wellfleet?

Every day I check the beach cams off the backside of Cape Cod just because I'm an old surfer. Yesterday I checked the Beach Comber webcam at Cahoon Hollow in Wellfleet. Usually you just see the ocean, the surf, maybe a few container ships way offshore.
(cam link)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3LjfzI7EIM

It's unusual to see a boat near to shore there. But there it was, a forty foot+ vessel loitering about 200 yards offshore. She's been there for two days now.
Looking closer I noticed that she had 'mailboxes' mounted on her transom; these are used to deflect the propeller wash directly down to the bottom. Barry Clifford used this method to find the pirate galley Whidah which has been the subject of discussion here before.
It seems a vessel (White Squall) with a cargo of tin ingots sank in this area during a storm sometime in the past. Tin is valued currently at $55 hundred+ per metric ton and it doesn't degrade in salt water.
I'll be keeping an eye on the hunt for this treasure via the live webcam.

Last edited by Rick; 7th July 2023 at 03:26 AM.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote