Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st April 2023, 01:52 PM   #1
tanaruz

Default 2 KRIS SWORDS-OPINION

Hl,

two krisses being offered to us. In our opinion, one is Maguindanaoan, the other one Tausug.

The Maguindanaon- 1930s?
The Tausug - pre ww2?

We're hesitant on the Tausug because it seems that the rust has already eaten some metal parts on the blade.

The Maguindanaoan piece has a lovely blade.

Your opinions/suggestions are highly appreciated.

Saludos,

Yves
Attached Images

tanaruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2023, 04:42 PM   #2
chmorshuutz

Interesting to see that the Tausug has a Tagalog-style hilt from Rizal, I've seen a similar hilt before by a certain blacksmith from Binangonan.
chmorshuutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2023, 05:24 AM   #3
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanaruz View Post
Hl,

two krisses being offered to us. In our opinion, one is Maguindanaoan, the other one Tausug.

The Maguindanaon- 1930s?
The Tausug - pre ww2?

We're hesitant on the Tausug because it seems that the rust has already eaten some metal parts on the blade.

The Maguindanaoan piece has a lovely blade.

Your opinions/suggestions are highly appreciated.

Saludos,

Yves
The last blade seems to have some very interesting features at the base and engravings too.
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2023, 08:32 AM   #4
milandro

Both very nice, but the second is actually much better a blade it will restore

However you should consider whether you have access to anyone who can do the work
milandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2023, 09:27 PM   #5
Battara
EAAF Staff

Early on during the PI Revolution some of the fighters of the 1st Philippine Republic tried to show solidarity with the Moros in their fight against the US. Even some officers took Moro blades and placed Luzon hilts on top of them.

I would agree that the 2nd blade does have some Sulu traits to it, but it is a little later than the 1st one, which does look Maguindanao, and IMHO, the better blade.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2023, 02:51 PM   #6
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Yves,

The second blade is hard to assess because of its condition. I notice some deeply corroded "dots" down the midline ridge of the blade that might be inlays with a different metal (and hence enhanced corrosion). The engravings are faint and might be at risk with cleaning of the blade. The gangya area is hard to assess. Personally, I would not pay a high price for this one. While it may be the more interesting of the two, it needs a lot of work on the blade and you might be disappointed with the end result. On the other hand, you might get lucky.

The Maguindanao kris has a nice clean blade. Nothing fancy, but it looks well forged and very functional. It would be my preference to restore this one. Not much mystery to it. Do you think the blade is laminated? Hard to say from the picture.

Cheers,

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2023, 06:44 AM   #7
tanaruz

Default 2 kris swords-opinion

Hello,

Thank you all for your insights.

As of now I still have not seen these two personally. Will do so when I (and my father) would visit the seller after the Holy Week.

But we are more inclined to get the Maguindanao one. It will be restored by an artisan in Maguindanao.

Saludos.

Yves
tanaruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2023, 02:33 PM   #8
milandro

restoration will be rather radical in any case and I am not sure that it will cost less than buying a sword with all it needs to be restored already in place.

You need a new hilt, and new sheath, two new baca-baca and all this for a sword that is certainly not as old as many others. On the other hand I have been told by someone whom bought a kris from me that he found it difficult to find such blades in the Philippines too, and that's why he was so eager to buy my blade which was in working order and had nothing missing.
milandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2023, 05:40 PM   #9
Sajen

Hi Yves,

From the pictures only would be my favorite the Maguindanao blade.

A restoration in the Philippines will be much cheaper as in Europe or the States!
And Milandro is correct, it's easier to find an antique Moro weapon in the States than in the Philippines.
It's in the meanwhile the same with Indonesian blades, you find more in Europe as in Indonesia.
And for sure a restoration is a good investment, look how good examples in this time frame got sold by auctions as well by epray.
When the blade is good like my one from this time it is worth given it clothings.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2023, 05:43 PM   #10
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by milandro View Post

You need a new hilt, and new sheath, two new baca-baca and all this for a sword that is certainly not as old as many others.
The scabbard is present and I would restore it to keep much as possible from the old ensemble.
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote