Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th March 2005, 07:54 PM   #1
Federico

Default Now for that other sword, Nimcha?

Ok, I dont specialize in non-Philippine weaponry. Ive tried to keep afloat with threads to broaden my horizons, but there are just so many swords so few brain cells left. Anyways up for comment is a Nimcha? Ok so if its not, let me know what it is. Anyways, it has a very hefty blade made for use. OAL 40" with a thick 1/4" spine at base. Nicely done fuller. When I was first shown a pic to see if I was interested, I thought the hilt was wood. However, it is a horn material of some kind. Very translucent, with a greenish hue. Sorry I tried and tried to get better pics of the hilt, but this was the best I could do with el camera cheapo. But if you can, any guess what kind of horn? If its water buffalo, Ive never seen color like this before.
Attached Images

Federico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2005, 08:01 PM   #2
Federico

Ok one more try at a close up of the hilt.
Attached Images

Old 18th March 2005, 08:25 PM   #3
Conogre

You're right, the camera doesn't cut it for close ups.
Does the hilt feel "grainy" to you?
Mine is rhinocerous horn, which is composed of compressed hair that's quite different from the normal horn more commonly encountered and not "layered" like the karotin based true horn....if those chips show layering, it's deffinitely true horn.
While the nimcha originated in Morocco, from what I've been able to determine it is even more widespread than the kaskara or takouba and widely used throughout the arabic world.
Unless I'm mistaken, those two concrete giant crossed swords that form an arch upon entering the Bagdad airport are nimchas, aren't they?
Mike
Conogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2005, 08:57 PM   #4
Federico

Mike thanks for the reply. I checked the cracks, and if I am understanding right, I think they are showing layering. So would it be water buffulo horn?
Old 18th March 2005, 11:30 PM   #5
tom hyle

It's probably cattle horn; there really aren't any water buffaloes around.
This style, commonly referred to as nimcha, is called saif (sayf) by its users. It is commonly thought of as Moorocan, but if found down the Swahili coast and in Arabia (where it may or may not originate). Based on the handle and especially the guard, this one appears to be from Mooroco or the Magreb. The blade may well be native, and in my limitted experiece, likely to be spring tempered.
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2005, 12:16 AM   #6
Federico

Thanks for the input Tom, would cattle horn be the explanation for the greenish color? I gotta admit, Im used to carabao horn, and not familiar with other types. Do have any more characteristics for what to look for in cattle horn?