Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th November 2013, 08:52 PM   #1
jwkiernan

Default Interesting Kampilan for comment

I didn't see anything in the original pictures to make me think this was going to be anything but a nice, older kampilan...then it arrived (first picture).

This is a nice older kampilan but...I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. Let me know if you want to see anything in particular.

It has lots of use wear/polish in the grip area...for scale I included a standard photo scale but for an easier perspective, the "normal" kampilan is 40" total length, the smaller is 34 1/2". Also interesting to note is the addition of 5 -7 "tally marks" forward of the guard on the top side just forward of the guard discovered when de-rusting/cleaning the blade. Any speculation on the hole where the "eye" normally is located? Thank you all as always!

Respectfully,

John
Attached Images

jwkiernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2013, 11:29 PM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

Often this hole is for stringing rattan through for anchoring. It is from here that the rattan is then wrapped around the hilt.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2013, 11:37 PM   #3
jwkiernan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
Often this hole is for stringing rattan through for anchoring. It is from here that the rattan is then wrapped around the hilt.
That makes perfect sense...why is that feature not on most "normal" sized kampilans? Thanks for the reply.

Respectfully,

John
Old 15th November 2013, 01:23 AM   #4
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

A NICE EXAMPLE WITH UNUSUAL CARVEING. THE HANDLE FORM MORE CLOSELY RESEMBLES THE FORM REFERED TO AS THE SWALLOWTAIL THAN THE CROCODILE FORM. THE CROCODILE HAVING AN EYE AND WHAT CAN BE CONSIDERED TEETH IN THE JAW WITH A BROADER MORE SQUARE LOWER JAW.
THE LOWER JAW ON YOURS IS OF THE LESS SEEN MORE CURVED AND SHARP POINTED FORM. THE CARVED DESIGNS APPEAR FLORAL TO ME WITH NO EYE AND DIFFERENT FROM THE NORMAL SWALLOW TAIL. THE HOLE IN YOURS MAY BE FOR A TUFT OF HAIR OR CLOTH. THE HOLE FOR ATTACHING THE GRIP WRAP IS USUALLY LOCATED CLOSER TO THE GRIP. THIS PICTURE SHOWS TWO HOLES ONE PLACED WHERE YOURS IS ( THIS HOLE APPEARS TO BE MORE DECORATIVE THAN FUNCTIONAL) AND THE OTHER AT THE BOTTOM AND NEAR THE GRIP OFTEN USED FOR ANCHORING THE BINDING. I AGREE WITH JOSE THE MAJORITY OF KAMPILIANS I HAVE SEEN DID NOT HAVE OR USE THESE HOLES FOR ATTACHING BINDINGS BUT SOME MAY HAVE DONE.
Attached Images

Last edited by VANDOO; 15th November 2013 at 04:49 AM.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 04:23 AM   #5
Battara
EAAF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkiernan
That makes perfect sense...why is that feature not on most "normal" sized kampilans? Thanks for the reply.

Respectfully,

John
Some kamps do not have rattan binding done in the same fashion or style. Thus they don't have the need to be anchored.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 06:45 AM   #6
VVV

Nice and old version.
Some of the really old ones had a disc with tassels (instead of an eye?) attached to the hilt (which would explain your hole).

Michael
Attached Images

VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 06:59 AM   #7
jwkiernan

Beautiful examples Vandoo and Michael! Thanks for sharing!

Respectfully,

John