Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 15th February 2012, 10:26 AM   #1
Tim Simmons

Default Sepik region sword stick.

Another new arrival. Palmwood sword 48 inches long. It is a light weight thin but strong thrusting weapon. Thrust into an enemies face or body would be quite unpleasant a crack edge on to the head would not be that nice either. Perfect condition nearly as nice as the three example taken from "Art of the Boiken, Micheal Hamson, Los Angeles" Here they are discribed as Yangoru Boiken fighting swords "Pongga" 49 " 63" 57"
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012, 06:27 PM   #2
Atlantia

Hi Tim,

Another nice piece of 'treen' to the collection
I really like this one, lots of work and a great shape!

Does the design of these emulate metal blades of other cultures in some way or does it predate contact with 'outsiders'?

Best
Gene
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 07:04 AM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

VERY SIMULAR IN FORM AND FUNCTION AS YOUR OTHER RECENT NEW GUINEA CLUB EXCEPT THIS IS DESIGBED FOR FIGHTING WITH BOTH ENDS IF NEED BE. ANOTHER NICE ONE YOU DA MAN!!
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 12:53 PM   #4
katana

Tim,
another interesting piece, my only concern is that the carved designs are on one side only ....is this usual ? If not, it does suggest this is for 'display '

Kind Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 05:27 PM   #5
VANDOO
(deceased)

IF THIS IS MADE OF THE OFTEN USED BLACK PALM WOOD THE OUTSIDE IS CONVEX AND IS USED FOR THE CARVING AS THE INSIDE IS MORE PORUS AND OFTEN CONCAVE. I HAVE SEEN THIS ON QUITE A FEW CLUBS FROM THE REGION USING THAT SORT OF WOOD AND CAME UP WITH THIS CONCLUSION FROM THE STANDPOINT OF WOODWORKING.

HERE IS AN EXAMPLE THAT I HOPE WILL ILLISTRATE WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT. THE OUTER CONVEX SIDE OF THE WOOD IS MORE DENSE AND WILL CARVE WELL. THE INNER PART IS MORE FIBEROUS AND CONVEX AND WILL NOT CARVE WELL. THIS PARTTICULAR CLUB IS A BOIKEN CLUB 51.5 IN. LONG FROM THE YANGORU TRIBE, NEW GUINEA.
Attached Images

Last edited by VANDOO; 17th February 2012 at 05:40 PM.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2012, 12:18 AM   #6
katana

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
IF THIS IS MADE OF THE OFTEN USED BLACK PALM WOOD THE OUTSIDE IS CONVEX AND IS USED FOR THE CARVING AS THE INSIDE IS MORE PORUS AND OFTEN CONCAVE. I HAVE SEEN THIS ON QUITE A FEW CLUBS FROM THE REGION USING THAT SORT OF WOOD AND CAME UP WITH THIS CONCLUSION FROM THE STANDPOINT OF WOODWORKING.

HERE IS AN EXAMPLE THAT I HOPE WILL ILLISTRATE WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT. THE OUTER CONVEX SIDE OF THE WOOD IS MORE DENSE AND WILL CARVE WELL. THE INNER PART IS MORE FIBEROUS AND CONVEX AND WILL NOT CARVE WELL. THIS PARTTICULAR CLUB IS A BOIKEN CLUB 51.5 IN. LONG FROM THE YANGORU TRIBE, NEW GUINEA.

Thanks Barry, that definately makes sense

Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote