Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th May 2006, 03:49 AM   #31
Andrew

Thumbs up

I am so proud to be a part of this important exhibition, Antonio. Thank you for your vision and perserverence.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2006, 11:16 AM   #32
Antonio Cejunior

Hello Andrew,

The pleasure and honor is all mine Andrew.
Thank you for the trust and about perseverence... well, my wife would tell you that whenever I get into something, I'll be nagging and nagging until I achieve
it .

Seriously, all I did was to convince the knowledgeble ones to participate and that was not difficult. You and everyone else has bestowed in me your trust for which I am really honored.

Very best,

Antonio
Antonio Cejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2006, 10:56 PM   #33
ariel

Any idea when the catalogue will become available for purchase?
I REALLY!!! want it!
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2006, 12:26 AM   #34
Antonio Cejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Any idea when the catalogue will become available for purchase?
I REALLY!!! want it!
I cannot tell you right now.
There are almost 300 pictures whose background must be treated one by one in order to present a great photograph.
All the texts are translated and ready. Then it is importing the text and photos and organizing it all.
I hope that the more interest is shown directly to the museum, the more it will help to understand that this exhibition's catalogue is strongly sought after internationally.
It all has to do with the number of people deployed to retouch the photographs which is not an easy task...
Old 2nd June 2006, 11:31 PM   #35
ariel

Antonio,
I can only imagine the amount of work!
People told you many times already how much they admired your perseverance and enthusiasm; always, you managed to sound gracious and self-deprecating and to deflect the compliments to others. No doubt, their contribution was of immense value and should be appreciated.
But nobody deserves higher praise than you.
So, for once, keep quiet, do not respond, pour youself a glass of something good and drink it.
This is my toast to you!
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2006, 02:16 AM   #36
Antonio Cejunior

Smile TOAST? BREAD!

Ariel,

Yes, they work very very hard.
Interesting enough it may be called or perceived perseverance and enthusiasm, yet I see it as doing what I believe is right. I know well that I don't possess the truth, so I just do what I believe after a long time of maturation.
It is morning here, so before I continue, a toast back with my second cup of coffee
It is strange that I avoid praise. It is not because I am better than others. It is the fact that - while I thank you for your kind words - I think that I am just in transit, like we all are, in this life. For this reason, it is not of any use for me to be full of myself.
If it were not for all the generous people from this Forum who so generously shared their possessions, sending them halfway around the world, trusting (and this is a sublime act) my word, the exhibition would have not happened.

Now, when the catalogue is carefully proof-read in its final stages, when all photographs are imported into the design programme, a unique publication will be born that will last for as long as people want it, proving that weapons can be a source of Peace, of Generosity, of Globalized Cooperation, and of shared knowledge. I never procclaim anything. I have always put my work where my mouth is, also because I don't believe in Educating and Enlightening anyone, because only a pityful ignorant can think of such a task can be done by others.
It reminds me of anyone liberating someone else. One Educates oneself and that is already an enormous task. How can anyone liberate me from my own faults? Buddha attained Enlightment through his own means.

Since I dare to consider myself just half ignorant, I dare not take praise, because that would make me run the risk of falling into the sin of thinking I am somebody, when my aim is to one day reach the end of the journey in simplicity.
That's why you shouldn't praise me. You'll end up with a rant and a half for free
Bless you
Old 29th July 2006, 04:11 AM   #37
wilked aka Khun Deng

Talking What a visit!

Just back from vacation and I had to let you all know what a phenominal job Antonio did with the exihibit. One afternoon was definately not enough. The way he grouped and displayed the swords was all you could ask for. From the lighting to the sequencing and even the informatiojn supplied the focus remained on the skill, craftsmanship and historical value of these wonderful pieces.

And this post would not be complete without mention of what an incredible host Antonio was. Even though he arrived home from an unschedlued business trip two hours after I arrived in town and with his wife not feeling well, he still made it a point to meet us and give us a personally guided tour of the exihibit (of course he made me wait till the end to view the Dha exihibit- crafty way of building the suspense Antonio). Not only delightful company, but very educational as well. My first time in Macau and it was clear throughout the visit the love Antonio has for his home country, Macau, and his work of preserving and educating those everywhere of their history and especially his love of swords. My wife and I thank you for a wonderful day.

To those of you who donated pieces to this exihibit I thank you. They are in good hands and expertly displayed to catch all the nuances of each piece.

The trip has put me in a quandry though - I only collect from places I have been. Now that I have been to China even for a weekend does that qualify as long enough to collect pieces from there? ----well maybe just one Jian or Dao....
wilked aka Khun Deng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2006, 06:22 AM   #38
Antonio Cejunior

Smile Too exagerated

Hi Dan and everyone else,

Dan is terribly exagerating in his kind eyes.
I did what anyone would have done considering the effort Dan made.

Here you can see Dan looking at the Dha's display and saying, aha, I know that one

and here is Dan and his lovely wife Jenny

I was just sorry that I had to leave them too soon and our car was not working
Thank you for coming Dan and Jenny. It was great to have met you and by the way, can anyone point me out the Serge's website at Aranyick?
I misjudged his website and his emails and I would like to apologize.

Again, it was a pleasure and here is the two of us on the wind of the Museum.

Very best Dan and Jenny
Old 31st July 2006, 03:56 AM   #39
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilked aka Khun Deng
----well maybe just one Jian or Dao....
No question. Do it. Send me all your dha, though. I'll give them a good home.

Looks like you had a great time, Dan.
Old 5th August 2006, 12:58 PM   #40
wilked aka Khun Deng

Not likely to happen Andrew - but you can keep on dreaming

Actually Antonio got quite a few Korean swords donated from their National museum, another place I've spent an inordinate amount of time in (actually just returned from there), and have yet to get an example of. Truth be told these were the first authenticated Korean swords I'd ever seen. More of downed -sized version of a Japanese sword. I would have thought that there would have been more of a Chinese influence.

Told you it was educational!

Antonio, you can reach Serge through his website www.cozun.com

Dan
wilked aka Khun Deng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2006, 03:39 PM   #41
Antonio Cejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilked aka Khun Deng
Antonio, you can reach Serge through his website www.cozun.com
Dan
Hi Dan,

Thanks very much
Very best
Old 17th August 2006, 04:50 PM   #42
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up Home Again !

My three containers arrived safely today; all the pieces were fine even though the snoops at customs opened one of them .

Good packing by the museum; kudos !
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2006, 05:03 PM   #43
Antonio Cejunior

Great to hear that Rick,

Thank you. It is the staff that deserves the kuddos. They are fantastic.
I would appreciate if everyone would post or email me confirming their shipment being received.
Thanks
Old 21st August 2006, 09:06 PM   #44
Spunjer

recieved the swords. my tenegre and visayan sundang became dhas. i didn't open the bubble wraps on those, but one has a jade like stone on the pommel. the barung scabbard was crushed. kris and kampilan are ok.

ron
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2006, 09:35 PM   #45
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Quite a mix up ...

I have some of Mark's dha and someone else's swords too. Still trying to work out what I have that's not mine.

BTW the jade hilted dha will be mine, Ron.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2006, 09:35 PM   #46
Andrew

Got my boxes. I'll open them up tonight.
Old 22nd August 2006, 03:08 AM   #47
ibeam

Thumbs up All back

I received my swords back last week and all acounted for.

Many thanks for their safe return.
ibeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2006, 12:21 PM   #48
Antonio Cejunior

Default Checking in away from Macau

Hi all gentlemen,

I am ina field trip for another entirely different exhibition. Please check at my www.bladesignforum.com

At first when I received this link as I logged in, I thought you were all pulling each other's leg. But unfortunately it is not the case.

Prior to my departure I sent a group email to everyone about my field trip and I must say I am entirely puzzled with what I read here because all boxes received the sword numbers and everything was organized with photographs and so forth.

Miss Victoria has been handling exhibitions for seven years, since the Museum was inaugurated and I can testify of her full qualifications, competence and care. How it happened I cannot explain for she is also right now in a field trip.

I would like to say that due to my son 9 days hospitalization following his operation, I was unable to be at the packaging but it would have not changed anything because Victoria's method at arrival was extremely careful in identigying each tube and each sword to each tube.

I would also like to add that no one has slammed any sword in the scabbard or anything close to this. Care was absolute, but we cannot be responsible for tubes being thrown to the floor by the cargo people, if that happened, because we had requested special care instructions to fantastic Macau FedEx people.

Nonetheless is my duty to apologize for these events to everyone, and since I am away until the very end of the month and have suffered a punctured right foot, almost impalled, my movements are extremely limited as well as my access to the internet.

Again my humble apologies and hope everyone comes out saying what the've got so I can track the mistakes, but presently I cannot do nothing.
As in the beginning, my appreciation and admiration for all of you folks' generosity is the same. I am not the kind who uses people and then forget about them.

I wish to formally express my apologies for any mistakes, but I have no explanation.

Kindest regards to everyone,
Old 28th August 2006, 03:15 PM   #49
Mark

Having seen the Museum operations first hand, and met the staff, the mix-up is a bit of a mystery. Mine all arrived safely, by the way, though one package went to someone who is taking good care of them until they can get home.

In my case, what clearly happened was that the shipping invoices got switched between two packages. The package of Ian's swords I got was correctly labelled on the outside with the codes for the swords inside, and the shipping invoice in the plastic envelope stuck to it correctly listed the swords of mine that were mistakingly sent to Ian (in other words, the swords in the box that should have had the invoice). My suspicion, frankly, is that someone at Federal Express mixed up the invoices after accepting the packages from the Museum staff. They have to be taken in and out of the envelopes several times during transit, which is stupid because just this kind of thing can happen (I don't see why they can't put a bar-code sticker on the box itself).

I can't imagine that the Museum staff could have made such a mistake, and more than once, apparently. They even put my swords back in the exact same boxes in which I had shipped them (though most were identical in size and shape). Fed Ex, on the other hand .... In the course of my work I often ship many boxes of documents at once to different parts of the country or the world, and more than once things went wrong. Once one box in a set of five or six ended up in a different country somehow, and another time a box of documents was delivered to the office split open, with footprints on the paper! The courier said he'd gotten it that way (yeah, right).

As many boxes as there were, who do you think is going to mix up and/or damage a box, the guys handling 20 or 30 who knew the contents were precious and fragile, or the guys handling 2,000,000 or 3,000,000 who didn't know and didn't care what the contents were? I just hate the see the Museum staff, who are so conscientious and careful, get the bad rap for how the shipment was handled after they sent it.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2006, 06:45 PM   #50
wolviex

And I remember how someone of you here in Forum repremended me about writing on the weapon. It's not beautiful (however you can always wash it out in need) but thank's to inventory numbers on the piece you never get wrong with anything.

PS. Of course I don't want to sound sapiently - no way - it's just practical thought .

Last edited by wolviex; 28th August 2006 at 09:07 PM.
wolviex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2006, 12:36 AM   #51
Spunjer

since i'm not getting any response on my email, i would like to know who recieved my visayan sundang and tenegre. as for the damaged scabbard, will fedex pay for it then?
Old 29th August 2006, 12:39 AM   #52
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunjer
since i'm not getting any response on my email, i would like to know who recieved my visayan sundang and tenegre. as for the damaged scabbard, will fedex pay for it then?
Ron, it may be me. I've been preparing for trial and, now, for another hurricane. I'll open my boxes up tonight and let you know if I've got your stuff.
Old 29th August 2006, 04:33 AM   #53
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Ron:

Could be me too. I still have not opened mine -- too much work stuff and family business.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2006, 04:05 PM   #54
Antonio Cejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunjer
Hi Ron,
Just arrived back in Macau 2 hours ago and allow me clarify one thing
I received your email just about the time I was leaving, so had no time to reply.
So later I made a general post above, apologizing.

Second, one of the most important practices is to immediately show a picture or a set of pictures of the damage caused.

I made sure I left after a period long enough for everyone to receive the pieces.

Pardon me, but we have at least two lawyers here and you all know that you cannot place a claim in a forum or by email by just stating it. You have to prove it, show the damage, the before and the after.
Then insurance prescribes. It does not last forever.

I am very sorry for what happened to you, and am thankful that Mark spoke from his first hand experience. Like what Mark describes, I am absolutely sure that the staff had everything under full control and the boxes and the references and all that.
No Museum staff wants to get problems, and here we do want to take pride in what we do

My suggestion is that Mark and Andrew as lawyers, will possibly confirm that without photographic evidence, formal information, there will be no FedEx or Insurance that will accept any claim, specially when the insurance prescribed.

You see, we do our very best, but the moment you receive the boxes and don't verify the contents, then technically it is impossible to place a claim, and the longer the time, the more impossible.

Far from trying to wash my/our hands I am trying to explain in here so everyone understands. I am most grateful and just because the exhibition has ended does not mean I wash my hands. Not the kind of thing I do.

What I want to say is please post detailed pictures of the damage and the only thing I can offer you, is an attempt of reconstruction from our restoration department after talking to the Museum Director.

Best,
Old 29th August 2006, 04:54 PM   #55
Mark

Posting photos and such here isn't really going to do the job.

I think the best way to handle damage is, as Antonio has suggested, taking detailed photos of the damage. You have the "before" photos available, of course, in the form of the Museum catalogue photos.

Then, you should write a letter to the Museum explaining and describing the damage, and including the photographs, so that the Museum (which bought the insurance) can file a claim. They will also need an estimation of the damage value. Since the item was not completely destroyed or lost, this would be the loss of market value due to the damage. Often insurance companies require additional evidence or explanation, but those basics should get the ball rolling.

While this forum is a convenient place in which to communicate quickly, it really isn't the place to resolve this issue, so I urge everyone to shift to direct communication for these "business" matters.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2006, 02:42 AM   #56
Spunjer

Quote:
"Second, one of the most important practices is to immediately show a picture or a set of pictures of the damage caused.

I made sure I left after a period long enough for everyone to receive the pieces.

Pardon me, but we have at least two lawyers here and you all know that you cannot place a claim in a forum or by email by just stating it. You have to prove it, show the damage, the before and the after.
Then insurance prescribes. It does not last forever.
that is why i emailed you directly, antonio. i even mention to you that pictures will be provided, but i did not get any response from you. i'm not a lawyer and i do not know what do do and steps to take. and you also said:

Quote:
You see, we do our very best, but the moment you receive the boxes and don't verify the contents, then technically it is impossible to place a claim, and the longer the time, the more impossible.

you see, i did not know that because i did not get any response from you. maybe if you could've given me an address right away, or who to talk to, or who to email to, i would have done that ASAP (as soon as possible), with the pictures provided.

so:

1) i have the pictures
2) who can i email to
3) what do i need to do, or is it too late

i understand that you have an impeccable crew, but somewhere down the line, the scabbard was saran wrapped tightly causing the sampil, or throat of the scabbard to crush, and the side of the scabbard to splinter. the bottom line is, the scabbard is SNAFU. i just wanna know what do i need to do, or do i just take this as a loss.
ron
Old 30th August 2006, 04:45 AM   #57
Antonio Cejunior

Hi Ron,

As suggested by Mark I am replying to you in private.
Thank you
Old 1st September 2006, 03:37 PM   #58
Andrew

I finally had a chance to open up my boxes. Everything present and accounted for, and in perfect condition.

Ron, I didn't get any of your stuff.
Old 4th September 2006, 02:20 AM   #59
Spunjer

thanks for looking, andrew..
Old 3rd October 2006, 08:59 PM   #60
ibeam

Default Catalog

Hello,

I am just checking in to see when the catalogs will be ready. Is there any updates?
ibeam is offline   Reply With Quote