Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 2nd December 2005, 12:36 AM   #31
LabanTayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
In addition to the regional/linguistic differences in the names for these swords, I assume there are also differences in the forms? (I imagine nailing this down is what gives you guys the most trouble.)
Amen brother,
You are 100% correct.
Old 2nd December 2005, 01:09 AM   #32
VANDOO
(deceased)

Talking

FROM WHAT LITTLE I COULD GATHER FROM POSTS AND THE SITE LISTED IT WOULD SEEM THAT THE NAME CAME ABOUT IN A CERTAIN PLACE AT A CERTAIN TIME AND WAS USED BY ONE PARTICULAR GROUP OF FIGHTERS IN THAT CONFLICT.
IT IS BASICALY A KLEWANG TYPE BUT DUE TO THE REGION WHERE IT WAS USED AND THE GROUP USING IT NOW IT HAS A DIFFERENT NAME AT LEAST IN THAT REGION. IN ANOTHER PLACE AT ANOTHER TIME IT MAY GAIN A NEW NAME DUE TO THE GROUP USING IT OR THE CONFLICT IT IS USED IN.

NO WONDER ITS SO CONFUSING AS THERE ARE MANY FACTORS INVOLVED IN A NAME SO IT IS NOT UNUSUAL THAT ONE FORM MAY HAVE MANY NAMES. 1. REGION 2. TRIBE OR GROUP 3. TIME PERIOD 4. NAMES APPLIED TO IT BY THE OTHER SIDE IN THE CONFLICT AND PROBABLY A FEW MORE FACTORS I HAVE NOT THOUGHT OF. I HAVE SEVERAL OF THESE ONE EVEN HAS A BUILT IN KNUCKLE DUSTER GAURD SO THERE IS ALSO 5. VARIATION WITHIN THE TYPE.
IF PEOPLE ARE INVOLVED THINGS ARE BOUND TO GET COMPLICATED (MURPHYS LAW #657 )
Old 2nd December 2005, 01:28 AM   #33
BSMStar

As my children would say on any long journey..... are we there yet????
Old 2nd December 2005, 01:36 AM   #34
Robert
EAAF Staff

Well seeing as this thread was started by me, I thought it was time for me to make a few comments.
To my own regret, I said "All comments are welcome" when I should have said all relevant comments.
To all the people that tried to help answer my question, you have my thanks.
To the people that turned this thread into a place to vent their frustration for not bidding high enough
on e-bay to win, all I have to say to you is why don't you go stand in front of a mirror an complain to the
person who is actually the cause of your unhappiness. I bid what the sword was worth to me, not knowing
that it was inappropriate in your eyes to do so for in an open auction like e-bay. When the auction first starts if
I find an item that I am interested in, I put it on my watch list. Then I decide how much I want to bid on said
item. Then when the bidding is coming to a close and if the price on the item is not more than I decided
to bid for it, I place my bid. I've been going to auctions for years and never once has the winning bid been decided
by who bid first but only by who bid the highest. I thought e-bay was the same way, excuse me for having such
a silly idea as that. And as far as doing my own research, that is how I came to ask my question about the swords
to start with. So if anyone wants to hold back information and knowledge because they are having a problem dealing with the reality
of how an auction works, more power to you.
LabanTayo, you were out bid by another before I even bid.
MABAGANI, you didn't bid at all so I don't know what your problem is and if you had a problem with me, why did you e-mail me right after the auction was over to see if I would sell you the sword?
One more thing, I've never noticed that it bothered anyone here to out bid me on something that I was biding on. Again my thanks to the people who tried to help.

Robert
Old 2nd December 2005, 01:56 AM   #35
Andrew

Gentlemen,

Let's please return to discussion of these swords.

Any further public discussion of the specific auction, will result in this thread being locked.

I am saddened. This site has historically been devoid of this type of quarrel. Let's not let something like an eBay auction spoil that.
Old 2nd December 2005, 02:03 AM   #36
LabanTayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
Gentlemen,

Let's please return to discussion of these swords.

Any further public discussion of the specific auction, will result in this thread being locked.

Andrew and the rest of the Moderators, I will respect your wishes.
Robert, good luck finding answers to your future questions. Bahala ka.
Old 2nd December 2005, 05:28 AM   #37
MABAGANI

I was willing to pick it up from you if you didn't like it because my swordbrother lost it in an outbid, even though we thought it was overpriced, its not for me, I have an old one already. I like Moro sundang...
btw I did pass on a few things you bid on because I knew you were from the forum.
I aired my observation of current ebay trends and like I wrote I'd rather go back to dealers and pay top dollar for quality examples rather than take a chance on auction photos.

Last edited by MABAGANI; 2nd December 2005 at 06:22 AM.
Old 2nd December 2005, 05:32 AM   #38
zelbone

...it's a bolo !
Old 2nd December 2005, 05:33 AM   #39
MABAGANI

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelbone
...same as a sword is just a sword.
...unless its a barung.
Old 2nd December 2005, 05:36 AM   #40
MABAGANI

i heard, i have that bolo already.lolz
Old 2nd December 2005, 07:42 AM   #41
Federico

I vote that we as Filipinos,......form a union and declare that from now on, ......all weapons from the Sandata, .....shall for here forth be ever know as, .................."pig-stickers"

Just think about it, no more lost nights and money doing research, or reduced health from breathing in the dust from 100 year old books. We will then all know that there is just one simple answer to all our questions.

Thus the allure of the Sandata will fade for non-Filipinos, and we can go on to horde them all to ourselves Oh wait did I say the quiet part out loud again.
Old 2nd December 2005, 08:12 AM   #42
MABAGANI

...unless its a barung.
No need to reprimand, if you followed the thread for the most part posts were lighthearted. The irony from the beginning was posting photos and asking questions after outbidding the guys who likely had the answers. The answers were not straightforward but if you read closely they were answered.
Old 2nd December 2005, 10:43 AM   #43
Bill

It's the fault of the press, in Negros Oriental I have been told there are only 2 types of swords; Sundang (fighting) and Bolo (work). Now they make it confusing: "hacked him several times with a "pinuti (bolo)" over their personal grudges" http://www.visayandailystar.com/2005.../02/negor2.htm
Old 2nd December 2005, 11:26 AM   #44
Spunjer

monkey wrench, coming up...

http://panaynews.com.ph/archives/0612/news5.htm

...and the pic that came with the news:

Old 2nd December 2005, 12:13 PM   #45
LabanTayo

Spunjer,
We saw the same swords in Negros this year, and guess what.....they had different names than those in the article......arrrggghhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I bought the one they called Binangon in Negros...the article calls it Binakuko....
Damn dialects!!!!
So, we're back to calling it a Bolo or Sundang.
Old 2nd December 2005, 12:22 PM   #46
LabanTayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federico
I vote that we as Filipinos,......form a union and declare that from now on, ......all weapons from the Sandata, .....shall for here forth be ever know as, .................."pig-stickers"

Just think about it, no more lost nights and money doing research, or reduced health from breathing in the dust from 100 year old books. We will then all know that there is just one simple answer to all our questions.

Thus the allure of the Sandata will fade for non-Filipinos, and we can go on to horde them all to ourselves Oh wait did I say the quiet part out loud again.

Federico, good idea, brother.
But, what is "pig-sticker" in Waray-Waray?
Spunjer can say it the Illongo way, Zel will say it the Aklanon/Batangueno way, I'll say it the Tagalog/Kapampangan way, Themorningstar will say the Tausug way, Mabagani will say it his way, Battara his way and so on and so on.
Then we'll have a new list of names to be confused with.
Old 2nd December 2005, 12:51 PM   #47
Robert
EAAF Staff

Well folks, this will be my last post in this forum. As Laban Tayo put it when he said to me "Good luck in finding answers to you future questions". Just to set the record straight before I leave here is a link to the bids on this sword. http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=6580681731 As you will be able to see, Labin Tayo had already been out bid when I placed my bid. I would have thought that he might have been happy to see another forum member get this item but that was NOT the case. He has sense followed it up with seeking out every thing that I have placed bids on and out bid me. This is not a problem as bidding on something because you like it and would like to have it is quite acceptable but bidding on it in a child like way to get revenge on someone is not. My thanks go out to ALL the members of this forum Laban Tayo included for all the help that I have received here. Good by and good luck!!

Robert
Old 2nd December 2005, 01:36 PM   #48
Lee
EAAF Staff

Angry

Ok folks, just so you know, I am fuming about some of what has gone on in this thread.
Old 2nd December 2005, 04:16 PM   #49
Mark

Angry

Let me just add that my feelings are the same, and I can specifically say that in my case I am fuming over the childness, pettiness, vindictiveness and outright hypocrasy shown over what was (a) a completely honest and relevant question, and (b) a completely legitimate win in a public auction that was done in a well-know and accepted manner for on-line auctions, and I dare say one that has probably been used by every one of those who have now complained about it. Hypocracy is a personal sore spot for me.

Mark

PS: Necesh, thank you for taking on the risk of stirring up a hornet's nest in that other thread (and I mean that honestly). While the subject must be considered closed on the public forum, it is refreshing to hear a voice of truth and reason in an emotionally-driven discussion.

PPS: Feel free to be pissed at me for posting on a closed thread. If you have the audacity to try and defend these actions, send me an e-mail or PM. It is a moderator's perrogative to have the final word. Try to remember, membership in this Forum, and all the good things that go with it, are privileges here, not rights.
Closed Thread