Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th July 2011, 03:27 PM   #1
CharlesS

Default A Lovely Old Khyber Knife/Salawar Yataghan...but where from???

I was fortunate enough to just pick up this example of what we generally call a "Khyber Knife", but also known as a Salawar yataghan. I have known of its existence for some time and have always been curious about some of its unique features, such as the extraordinary quality of the wootz and koftgari. Also note the slightly upturned tip and reinforced edge. This is certainly better than normal quality and makes me wonder if it is, indeed, Afghan?? The wootz certainly speaks to Persian quality. I think there could also be an argument made for North Indian origins. The hilt scales are dark horn with a slightly greenish tint. The scabbard here is a replacement and has been done in a traditionally Afghan style.

I welcome and would enjoy any input. Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 04:03 PM   #2
AJ1356

That is one beautiful Seylaawa (that is what we call them). The hilt does not follow the normal hilt style of a seylaawa, the blade follows the norm all the way to the tip and then it becomes a bit unortodox. The wootz pattern is great and the gold inlaid kandankaari seems to be Kabuli. The hilt design looks suspeciously Bukharan, and the quality of work IMHO moves it far away from Khayber area and closer to Kabul. I'd say mostlikely it was made in Kabul by a migerant smith from North of Amu River.
AJ1356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 05:08 PM   #3
Lew
(deceased)

Charles

That is a real gem Congrats. (Drooling)
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 06:22 PM   #4
CharlesS

Thanks for the input. I had a discussion with another member (Rsword) about it and we had discussed its central Asian possibilities, even Bukhara, so really nice to get even more of the same thoughts...
Old 28th July 2011, 09:58 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1356
That is one beautiful Seylaawa (that is what we call them). The hilt does not follow the normal hilt style of a seylaawa, the blade follows the norm all the way to the tip and then it becomes a bit unortodox. The wootz pattern is great and the gold inlaid kandankaari seems to be Kabuli. The hilt design looks suspeciously Bukharan, and the quality of work IMHO moves it far away from Khayber area and closer to Kabul. I'd say mostlikely it was made in Kabul by a migerant smith from North of Amu River.

Excellent assessment AJ!! and I am inclined to go with what you're saying.
The spines on the back of the blade remind me of shamshirs I have seen from Turkmenistan, and the Persian influence goes hand in hand with Bukhara. Gorgeous wootz!!!

All best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2011, 03:02 AM   #6
AJ1356

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Excellent assessment AJ!! and I am inclined to go with what you're saying.
The spines on the back of the blade remind me of shamshirs I have seen from Turkmenistan, and the Persian influence goes hand in hand with Bukhara. Gorgeous wootz!!!

All best,
Jim

I was thinking the same of the ribbed spine, with the Persian influence. You see that in the higher qaulity shamshirs here the style wrongly called palowars.
Old 29th July 2011, 03:09 AM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
I was thinking the same of the ribbed spine, with the Persian influence. You see that in the higher qaulity shamshirs here the style wrongly called palowars.
AJ, I'm curious where 'here' is as it is interesting to see the perspective on these terms. Naturally very curious about 'paluoar' and exactly which sword referred to, the cup shaped pommel and downturned quillons?
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2011, 03:44 AM   #8
AJ1356

I should have been more clear, here is Afghanistan, and that is correct the cup shaped pommel and the downward quillion (that style is actually known here as a Shmashir e Safawi) . One of these days I'll do a post and try to show the actual locals names.
Old 29th July 2011, 05:32 AM   #9
Nathaniel

Wow, another stunning piece from Charle's time machine collection trips! Beautiful!
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2011, 06:39 AM   #10
Gavin Nugent

Default Great piece

A great looker Charles, in with the new, out with the old.

My thoughts on origins do differ though.

To my eye there are many Turkish/Ottoman aspects to the designs, shapes of parts and fullers on the spine...many similarities to a number of Yataghans found too...

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 03:52 PM   #11
CharlesS

Thanks for your insights and comments guys!
Old 18th September 2011, 07:10 AM   #12
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Salaams, If you give send an e mail as I think I know the koftgari workshop this came out of ...in Kabul. I was there earlier in the year and discovered it. Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote