Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 1st November 2017, 05:05 PM   #1
Oriental-Arms

Default Kurdish khanjar with important provenance

in 1963 - 1973 Israel was active helping the revolution of the Kurdish people against the Iraqi regimes. The IDF (Israel Defese Forces) set up a field hospital in the Kurdish territories. A young military physician was sent to the area to help in setting up and servicing in the hospital. At the end of his mission and as a token of appreciation he received from Mullah Mustafa Barzani the legendary leader of the revolution a Kurdish khanjar. Later on this physician was appointed a Brigadier General and the Commander of the IDF medical corps, and later as a general manager of one of the biggest hospitals in Israel. In this position and in my previous life in the medical industry I met him, and after months of begging and pleas I got the dagger. I recently found it in the bottom of the drawer and thought to share it with you. Simple but authentic effective and functional.
Attached Images

Oriental-Arms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2017, 05:28 PM   #2
Marcus

Very nice piece and a great story. It reminds me of this Kurdish dagger which was one of the first pieces I purchased from Oriental Arms. The blade on this knife is wootz.
Attached Images

Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2017, 05:47 PM   #3
kronckew

love the thimble chape on yours, OA

mine has a simpler wood grip, but also has a wootz blade. it's of the few jambiyahs i like. a lot.
Attached Images

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2017, 01:31 AM   #4
Battara
EAAF Staff

This is a wonderful story and piece Artzi, thank you for sharing it.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2017, 10:10 AM   #5
Johan van Zyl

Location: I live in Gordon's Bay, a village in the Western Cape Province in South Africa.

Having read this thread and the interesting replies, I thought I could also show my own Kurdish khanjar. I got it many years ago. It came without a scabbard, so I made one for it, following the style of the scabbard it would have come in as exactly as I could. People I have shown the khanjar to, have disagreed amongst themselves about the handle material. I am myself at a loss as to whether it is horn or wood.

I remember when I purchased this khajar, the dealer claimed it was c. 1910 vintage.

Regards
Johan
Attached Images

Johan van Zyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2017, 06:48 PM   #6
kronckew

a nice one too, johan.
nice scabbard too.

mine also came to me without a scabbard.

an esteemed forum member here had a spare one he'd accumulated from somewhere he didn't have any use for, so he very kindly sent it to me. it fits like it was made for it.

i have a bou-saadi khodmi knife with a sewing thimble on the scabbard tip, like the one in post no.1, i guess you use what you have handy. hope their wives didn't beat them too much for raiding the sewing kit.
Attached Images

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2017, 08:42 AM   #7
Johan van Zyl

Location: I live in Gordon's Bay, a village in the Western Cape Province in South Africa.

Very nice indeed, Kronckew, and the others too. I made the tip of the scabbard with a piece of black buffalo horn which I shaped to look like ones I had seen on traditional scabbards. The big challenge with the making of most ethnographic scabbards is proper, sturdy coverage of the knife with the use of minimum material (like in this Kurdish khanjar scabbard, and also with Nepali kukri scabbards! The latter scabbards present additional challenges.

Your thimble tip looks great!

Johan
Johan van Zyl is offline   Reply With Quote