Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th October 2009, 06:58 PM   #1
Devadatta

Default Introducing myself and my small collection

Dear Community,

I'm from Moscow, Russia. Mainly my interest in edged weapons lie in the area of officer dress-daggers and Russian military sabres/dirks/cutlasses etc.

But some time ago I felt some passion to ethnical edged weapons of Asian region. The top interest I discovered towards Indonesian and Arab culture. Thus, I started a small collection of keris and jambia. Maybe my items could seem too simple for you - please, don't judge too strong.

So here is my keris part - and it will be growing in future.

The first aqcuired item - the clothes are new, seem to be from Sumatra, Palembang type scabbard, the blade was attributed as late Majapahit period.

The forum doesn't allow to place all images in one post, so I will add the other keris after the moderator check!
Devadatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 03:16 AM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Welcome Devadatta. Personally i think simplicity can be most beautiful. This is a nice old soldier. I also like the new dress.
Btw, you can (or should be able to) indeed upload more images onto one post, but i look forward to seeing you other keris soon.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 05:22 AM   #3
Devadatta

Thanks for your comment, so here is the rest

The second one came from Jawa, Gayaman kidney-shaped scabbard, the blade was attributed as tangguh Madiun, estimated the dapur Sempana

The blade keeps a really nice smell

The other jawanese keris probably belonged to a Dukun as he has double Combong, dapur Cherita

...again - "too many images", so to be continued...
Old 5th October 2009, 10:47 AM   #4
drdavid

Welcome to the warung Devadatta. I enjoy the Palembang dress form and agree with David, simplicity has great merit
drd
drdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 02:11 PM   #5
Sajen

Welcome to the forum Devadatta. I like at most the keris in the east javanese dress.

sajen
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 02:20 PM   #6
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devadatta
The blade keeps a really nice smell
I find the best way to keep a nice scent on your blade is to continue to oil it. The keris will like this. I use a mixture of sandalwood, kananga and mineral oil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devadatta
The other jawanese keris probably belonged to a Dukun as he has double Combong, dapur Cherita
Combong like this is a result of years of acid washes. It really isn't a sign that the keris was owned by a Dukun. It is just an inevitable result of the process.

Are you using the "attach files" section in "Additional Options" in the box directly below your reply box when you post photos? Where are you uploading your photos from, your desktop, somewhere else on the net? You really should be able to post more photos per post if you want.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 04:22 PM   #7
Devadatta

Sorry, currently I use a local analog of imageshack and "insert image" option, but in future I will attach files.

So another piece from my collection

And my favorite - and the smallest one - with a single Combong, dapur Hanuman (?)

So far...

Thank you for you comments. I will be glad to share the pictures of my new items at this forum

Best Regards,

D.

Last edited by Devadatta; 5th October 2009 at 04:34 PM.