Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th November 2011, 01:02 AM   #1
Maria L

Default Arrow from Santa Cruz, Melanesia

Hello,

I am a postgraduate Objects Conservation student currently working on this arrow from Santa Cruz. I am trying to gather more information on it (it isn't easy!), which will help me decide on any treatment options. If anyone here has come accross similar items and could share their knowledge regarding history, materials, manufacture, etc. it would be very much appreciated.

The arrow is 120.8cm long, and has a diameter of 1cm at its widest point. The shaft consists of two different types of wood: a hardwood (palm wood?) foreshaft, and bamboo/reed. The join between the two woods is bound with what I think is hardened gummed vegetable fibre. The arrowhead has two small barbs of what looks like bone, and originally would have had a bone tip, which has been snapped off. I'm guessing the arrowhead has been made by attaching the bone barbs and tip to the sharpened end of the foreshaft and wrapping it with the same gummed vegetable fibre. The foreshaft and arrowhead have been painted with a thick reddish-brown pigment. The reed shaft has a small nock.

So far, my research suggests that long, barbed arrows like this have been used for warfare, rather than hunting. However, a lot of the literature states that war arrows were often decorated, and mine is quite plain. If it is a war arrow, is it likely to have been poisoned? The pigment at the "business end" of the foreshaft appears gradually worn off (rather than just scratched, as is the case with the rest of the foreshaft), so perhaps poison has eaten into it. Curiously, there are also little tufts of branched moss or fungus-like material lodged behind the barbs. Is this something that would've been used to clean the arrowhead? I have also found tiny, spherical, transluscent insect egg casings behind the barbs and in the joints of the reed, which appear to be from the province of origin.

If you can think of any relevant literature I can have a look at, please let me know. I'm also trying to track down an article by David Skinner called Arrows of Melanesia: A Neglected Art Form, which was published in Tribal Art (Summer 2000), but is no longer availiable online or in any UK university libraries... I would be very grateful to anyone who has a copy and wouldn't mind sharing it.

Many thanks in advance,
Maria
Attached Images

Maria L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 10:23 PM   #2
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria L
I am a postgraduate Objects Conservation student currently working on this arrow from Santa Cruz. I am trying to gather more information on it (it isn't easy!),
Hi Maria
I want to believe that it's not an easy subject

but, overall, allow me to welcome you, here

as we are very eclectic guys, might be some one
(not me, too, too far from my area of interest),
will have matter to exchange comments, bring; ideas, suggestions
sincerely I hope so, for you
we are a very friendly fraternity, and sure,
everybody according his capacities, gonna to help you

all the best

à +

Dom
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 01:01 AM   #3
Maria L

Thanks, Dom! The forum certainly looks really interesting... Hopefully someone here can devulge the mysteries of the arrow
Old 2nd December 2011, 03:31 AM   #4
Edster

Maria,

Welcome to the forum. I may be able to contribute a small bit to your understanding.

The arrow looks like the type used in Papua New Guinea. I was there for a few months a couple of years ago, and the unfletched arrows are still in common use. They are used for hunting small game, mainly birds and as a general weapon. In Port Morsby I met a man who was the night guard at a expat club who used bow and arrow as his arms. He mentioned one recent night that he had shot and wounded a man who was attempting a to hijack a car near the club. I'm sure his aim would have been fatal had he so chosen.A night shot just to wound at 50-m is impressive. He was of an ethnic group noted for their skill.

See this link for a recent news item.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10735245

This link is more ethnically related as to the various typesof arrow points.
http://www.art-pacific.com/artifacts...s/bowarrow.htm

There are several native art shops in Port Morsby where you can possible mail order other examples. Also the national museum there may be able to help.

The bow uses a flat piece of bark about 3/8 in. wide, I think, as a bow string to fit to the arrow that has no nock.

Good luck with your research.

Regards,
Ed
Edster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 08:14 AM   #5
Tim Simmons

Maria,

Your arrow does appear to be from Santa Cruz Islands. I think you will have great difficulty finding good enough pictures to work from in most available publications on the Solomon Islands. I have often asked at this forum about working with and finding organic materials for restoration projects like this, I fear most contributors here are METAL HEADS. These picture and the text from "Melanesia A Short Ethnolgraphy, British Museum" will help slightly, arrow "e". I think the only way to work on an object like this is to see a near as perfect example and better still get the chance to have it in your hands. The problems I see are getting the rattan like materials and in small quantities. Then is the material worked after soaking? you can experiment. You might have to get heavier materials and work them down. I needed to do some rescue work on an Amazon club. After reshearch I found all the correct materials were availabe in a local garden centre, the sisal needed soaking to take out the coils. If you are in the UK you coulld go to the Pit Rivers Museum Oxford where there will probably be arrows on display. The British Museum will have what you need but not on display. It is possible to arrange a visit to the store where samples will be layed out for your inspection. I do not know if this service is free or not. Lastly perhaps your arrow may have always been plain?
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2011, 01:02 AM   #6
Maria L

Ed and Tim, thank you very much for your contributions! I haven't been able to get in touch with the PNG Museum, but wrote to heritage organisations in Fiji and Vanuatu, so hopefully they may take an interest in this and put me in touch with the right person. I've also appealed for help at the BM and Pitt Rivers. Tim, thanks for posting this article, it has been most useful. The bit about Solomon Islands arrows with undercut barbs designed to snap off in the wound seems to fit, as the wood directly behind the barbs on my arrow has been carefully undercut, and they would snap off easily under the slightest pressure. Elsewhere on this forum I have seen some discussion about the practce of wrapping plant material around arrowheads to cause infection in the wound. Could this be the purpose of the moss-like fibres stuffed behind the barbs on mine?
Old 4th December 2011, 03:32 AM   #7
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

A DIFFICULT SUBJECT AND FEW REFRENCES AVAILABLE. I HAD MENTIONED THE BRIGHT YELLOW FIBER BEING FROM A TYPE OR ORCHID FIBER USED TO WRAP THE POINTS AND WOULD SOFTEN AND FALL APART IN THE WARM BLOOD ESPECIALLY IF THE VICTUM MOVES MUCH. THIS WOULD REMAIN IN THE WOUND WHEN THE ARROW WAS REMOVED CAUSING INFECTION. ITS POSSIBLE IT MAY HAVE BEEN SOAKED IN SOMETHING NASTY OR POSIONOUS BUT I HAVEN'T READ IT STATED AS FACT. ONE TYPE OF PALM WOOD USED FOR POINTS SEPARATES INTO SLIVERS IN THE WOUND DUE TO THE WARM BLOOD ALSO LEAVING MATERIAL DIFFICULT TO REMOVE.SOMETIMES ANIMAL SKIN OR TISSUE IS USED TO BIND ON POINTS OR BARBS BUT IT IS USUALLY PLANT FIBER AND RESINS.
VARIOUS THINGS USED FOR BARBS FROM THORNS TO FISH BONES AND SPINES TO HUMAN BONE SLIVERS TO CRITTER TEETH FISH, SNAKE, ECT. HERE ARE A FEW PICTURES.
1 PICTURE SEVERAL ARROWS THE ONE TO THE FAR LEFT THE MOST SIMULAR TO YOUR EXAMPLE, BARBS APPEAR MISSING AND CARVED SHAFT, INFO WAS NEW GUINEA ARROWS. NOT MUCH HELP.
2. FLY RIVER AREA NEW GUINEA 1920'S ARROWS. ONE EXAMPLE WITH SINGLE BONE BARB.
3. NEDO IS. SANTA CRUZ IS. LOOKS LIKE A RABBIT
4. FEATHER MONEY TRIBAL FORTUNE SANTA CRUZ IS. 1930

I HAVE SOME PICTURES FROM BOGANVILLE ISLAND WITH MULTIPLE BARBS BUT THEY ARE TOO LARGE TO POST HERE. I SEE I CAN'T SEND YOU AN EMAIL VIA THE FORUM BUT SEND ME AN EMAIL VIA MY FORUM INFO AND I WILL TRY AND SEND THEM TO YOU IN A EMAIL.
Attached Images

Last edited by VANDOO; 4th December 2011 at 03:50 AM.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2011, 11:32 PM   #8
Maria L

Vandoo, it looks like I can't email you via the forum as I'm new and don't have sufficient user priviledges yet But thanks for the photos and information regarding the use of friable plant materials on arrowheads. Do you have references for this? Please let me know if you do, it may go some way towards explaining the conspicuous moss-like fibres...
Old 6th December 2011, 01:40 PM   #9
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
A DIFFICULT SUBJECT AND FEW REFRENCES AVAILABLE. I HAD MENTIONED THE BRIGHT YELLOW FIBER BEING FROM A TYPE OR ORCHID FIBER USED TO WRAP THE POINTS AND WOULD SOFTEN AND FALL APART IN THE WARM BLOOD ESPECIALLY IF THE VICTUM MOVES MUCH. THIS WOULD REMAIN IN THE WOUND WHEN THE ARROW WAS REMOVED CAUSING INFECTION. ITS POSSIBLE IT MAY HAVE BEEN SOAKED IN SOMETHING NASTY OR POSIONOUS BUT I HAVEN'T READ IT STATED AS FACT. ONE TYPE OF PALM WOOD USED FOR POINTS SEPARATES INTO SLIVERS IN THE WOUND DUE TO THE WARM BLOOD ALSO LEAVING MATERIAL DIFFICULT TO REMOVE.SOMETIMES ANIMAL SKIN OR TISSUE IS USED TO BIND ON POINTS OR BARBS BUT IT IS USUALLY PLANT FIBER AND RESINS.
VARIOUS THINGS USED FOR BARBS FROM THORNS TO FISH BONES AND SPINES TO HUMAN BONE SLIVERS TO CRITTER TEETH FISH, SNAKE, ECT. HERE ARE A FEW PICTURES.
1 PICTURE SEVERAL ARROWS THE ONE TO THE FAR LEFT THE MOST SIMULAR TO YOUR EXAMPLE, BARBS APPEAR MISSING AND CARVED SHAFT, INFO WAS NEW GUINEA ARROWS. NOT MUCH HELP.
2. FLY RIVER AREA NEW GUINEA 1920'S ARROWS. ONE EXAMPLE WITH SINGLE BONE BARB.
3. NEDO IS. SANTA CRUZ IS. LOOKS LIKE A RABBIT
4. FEATHER MONEY TRIBAL FORTUNE SANTA CRUZ IS. 1930

I HAVE SOME PICTURES FROM BOGANVILLE ISLAND WITH MULTIPLE BARBS BUT THEY ARE TOO LARGE TO POST HERE. I SEE I CAN'T SEND YOU AN EMAIL VIA THE FORUM BUT SEND ME AN EMAIL VIA MY FORUM INFO AND I WILL TRY AND SEND THEM TO YOU IN A EMAIL.

Salaams Maria and VANDOO et al ~ Rumaging through my library I dug up a book in German called Mythos und Kunst based on the Papua New Guinea region full of pictures of artefacts like arrows and spears etc If needed I can shoot some pictures. Regards Ibrahiim
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2011, 12:30 PM   #10
Maria L

Hi Ibrahiim,

Yes, it would be great to see the pictures from your book, especially if there's anything resembling the arrow I'm working on. Unfortunately I don't speak German, so if there's any information in the book that you think is relevant, could you possibly summarise for me? Your help is much appreciated

Maria
Old 7th December 2011, 03:47 PM   #11
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria L
Vandoo, it looks like I can't email you via the forum as I'm new and don't have sufficient user priviledges yet ...
Problem solved .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2012, 04:51 AM   #12
VANDOO
(deceased)

A FEW MORE PICTURES OF SANTA CRUZ IS. BOW AND ARROWS AND LOCAL VILLAGERS.
Attached Images

VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2012, 01:23 AM   #13
Maria L

Thanks
Old 26th January 2012, 02:18 AM   #14
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Maria, I recall the article you're looking for "Arrows of Melanesia" by David Skinner, and actually am surprised, it doesn;t seem that long ago
I recall it was an incredible article, virtually a book within a magnificently published magazine, I used to subscribe to it it seems lifetimes ago.
Online you can find "Tribal Arts" magazine and you can order back issues, I checked and it is available, Summer 2000, #23 @25.00 and apparantly in stock.
Out of all the issues I had, that one impressed me the most for the incredible detail and volume, and I honestly never realized arrows were this long!

I would gladly help with my copy but as I am on the road wont be able to access for some time. Hope this info will help.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote