Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 2nd July 2019, 12:48 AM   #1
bvieira

Default original or copy ?

Hello,

Got this today, sec xix original or copy ? what do you guys think ?

Tks!

Best Regards,

Bruno Vieira
Attached Images

bvieira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2019, 06:17 AM   #2
mariusgmioc

Copy.
But I guess you already knew the second you had it.
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2019, 11:23 AM   #3
bvieira

Hello,

Sincerely i'am confuse because a well known international auction company classified this as sec XIX hunting crossbow, incomplete with changes and faults!

I have no real knowledge to identify if this item would have possibility to shot or it's a replica! you are saying there's no way this thing would have possibility to shot right ?

Tks.

BV
Old 2nd July 2019, 12:28 PM   #4
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Bruno, mariusgmioc is not saying that this device can not shoot, but that it is a replica, when you think of the period (age) they pretend to be. Replicas can be fully functional.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2019, 12:37 PM   #5
bvieira

Hello Fernando how are you ?

Yes i understand! but the auction company says it's original! Original German 19 century children crossbow with original tendon, changes and faults! are they wrong ? i'am talking about well known german action house named Herman Historica, where a person we both know (RD) sometimes was called as expert in old arms... is not a litle auction company

Regards,

BV

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Bruno, mariusgmioc is not saying that this device can not shoot, but that it is a replica, when you think of the period (age) they pretend to be. Replicas can be fully functional.
Old 2nd July 2019, 03:20 PM   #6
fernando

Perhaps we are thinking in different frequencies Bruno, when we consider the crossbow an early hunting and war weapon, as seen HERE, or those used by the Portuguese in the Battle of Aljubarrota (1385) or even those used by King Dom Sebastião personal guard (XVI century).
On the other hand, crossbows are still being made today, basically for sports. Whether we wish to call them copies, replicas or examples inspired in early versions, is a matter of approach, depending on each one's perspective.
Therefore, your crossbow is so good as any other.

Attached Images

Old 2nd July 2019, 03:51 PM   #7
corrado26

I think this is a crossbow made at the end of the 19th or at the beginning of the 20th century. Don't forget, that such crossbows have been made during all times for sport purposes or for children and that these items had nothing to do with the crossbows of the 16th or 17th century. These have been made fpr military and hunting purposes.
So the crossbow in question is certainly not a replica but just a piece made around 100 years ago for having fun with shooting. That's all
corrado26
corrado26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2019, 04:19 PM   #8
bvieira

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrado26
I think this is a crossbow made at the end of the 19th or at the beginning of the 20th century. Don't forget, that such crossbows have been made during all times for sport purposes or for children and that these items had nothing to do with the crossbows of the 16th or 17th century. These have been made fpr military and hunting purposes.
So the crossbow in question is certainly not a replica but just a piece made around 100 years ago for having fun with shooting. That's all
corrado26
That's what's the auction company says! i never said it was a 16th or 17th century! personaly i bought because it's a children's version and i don't had any! so it will complete my colection!o try to have items from bronze age to ww2!

Thanks all for the opinions.

Regards,

BV
Old 2nd July 2019, 05:07 PM   #9
CSinTX

I do not know much about crossbows but can see that it could be 19th C just based off materials, patina, and craftmanship.

With that said, please do not put much faith in what ANY auction company says. They ALL have bad descriptions and bad items at times. Some more so than others. Some on accident. Some so obvious that it really makes you scratch your head. HH seems to always have high end swords that appear to be modern Fricker fakes. Do your own research before buying and unfortunately buyer beware.
CSinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2019, 05:15 PM   #10
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrado26
I think this is a crossbow made at the end of the 19th or at the beginning of the 20th century. Don't forget, that such crossbows have been made during all times for sport purposes or for children and that these items had nothing to do with the crossbows of the 16th or 17th century. These have been made for military and hunting purposes.
So the crossbow in question is certainly not a replica but just a piece made around 100 years ago for having fun with shooting...
Udo, as i also said in my post #6: crossbows are still being made today, basically for sports.
Whether Bruno's example is for hunting, as he first said, or for sports, and whether it is a playing device for children (kinder) or a functional piece for youngsters (Jugendlicher), is something he can check himself ... mechanism, length and all; better than whatever HH has described.

Last edited by fernando; 2nd July 2019 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Translation attempt