Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 26th September 2005, 11:28 PM   #1
VVV

Default Balinese Wedung

What's the forumites opinion about this Balinese Wedung that just ended at eBay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Michael
VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2005, 11:34 PM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

A most unusual looking Wedung , if that's what it really is .
Looks like a mismatch between blade hilt and sheath .
Composite piece maybe ?
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2005, 11:51 PM   #3
Justin

I saw this one as well,passed on it though,seller wanted crazy shipping,like $44 for the keris he had.

I think this may be more of a golok than a wedung,and Rick may be right about it being mismatched.However it did seem fairly old,maybe its a odd/rare variant.....
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2005, 02:46 AM   #4
nechesh

Personally, i don't think it would be too easy to determine much of anything from these photographs.
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2005, 09:07 AM   #5
VVV

Wedung is not the correct term but I have seen it being used in the forum before, as well as the term is used by Holstein, so that's why I used it. Maybe the proper Balinese term is Madik?

In van Z there is a ceremonial knife as reference. Oriental Arms has one as well in their Gallery.

http://www.oriental-arms.com/item.php?id=1812

I have also seen two other knives like this when visiting European collectors.

The reason I asked was to see if anybody else was puzzled by the simple look of it. The carvings seems correct but the sheath and hilt is not painted and the blade seems to be of less quality than the documented ones.
Could it be a Balinese tourist version???

Michael
VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2005, 09:46 AM   #6
marto suwignyo

The names I have been given by Balinese people in possession of, and using this type of knife are :- blakas pengentas, caluk, madik, and arug.

A number of differently shaped knives are used for the same and similar purposes, and I have not been able to get anybody to differentiate in the name used for any of them. Some people will use pengentas, others blakas pengentas, others blakas,others madik, others caluk, others madik, all for the same knife, and for different knives.

Do the dictionary exercise and you`ll find that they have similar meanings in different language levels.

Possibly the "correct" name varies according to current use of the knife and the hierarchical levels of the persons involved in using it and whether they are speaking, being spoken about, or being spoken to.

When we try to give a "correct" name for any Balinese or Javanese item, be it weapon or other than a weapon, we are really attempting to do something that is often almost un-do-able.

I suggest that the use of a term understood by all participants in a discussion is adequate.Wedung if you wish, but my preference would be "Balinese knife".

Incidentally, in my opinion this is a very good example of this type of knife, certainly it is a little more utilitarian than the highly decorated published examples, but these published examples hardly exist outside the covers of books, and they certainly are not common in Bali.
marto suwignyo is offline   Reply With Quote