Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 25th March 2018, 08:16 PM   #1
Edward F

Default weapon i needed to see for my self jaipur

Took a short trip to Jaipur albert hall museum just to see one weapon on display its been called several different names I'm going to call it a war pick any other term I think is wrong. Heavy item weapons grade not ceremonial.the one war pic is at the museum the other 2 in my collection.
Attached Images

Edward F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2018, 07:58 PM   #2
Mercenary

I would like to be wrong, but such items were made in great numbers in 19-20th century for sale to Europeans... They are not weapons.
Mercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2018, 08:47 PM   #3
Victrix

In Europe similar weapons were used in medieaval times. It’s a form of war hammer with an armour piercing pick. In German the ”fist” ones are called Dolchstreitkolben or daggermace literally translated into the English language.

See this link with a discussion: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15532
Victrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2018, 08:54 PM   #4
Treeslicer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary
I would like to be wrong, but such items were made in great numbers in 19-20th century for sale to Europeans... They are not weapons.
Interesting. Make a nice addition to the under-the-seat-collection in my pickup anyway. What's a more common name for them that one can Google? What are they called in India (yes, I read the card in photo, but "pharsa" is just "axe")?

Edit-- Ahhh, thanks, Victrix.

Last edited by Treeslicer; 26th March 2018 at 09:09 PM.
Treeslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2018, 01:09 AM   #5
Edward F

Attached Images

Old 27th March 2018, 03:05 AM   #6
shayde78

Are the fists threaded onto the shafts?
I had occasion to pick one up, but the threaded head made me think it to be modern... I could well have been wrong.
shayde78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2018, 12:28 PM   #7
Mercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeslicer
Interesting. Make a nice addition to the under-the-seat-collection in my pickup anyway. What's a more common name for them that one can Google? What are they called in India (yes, I read the card in photo, but "pharsa" is just "axe")?

Edit-- Ahhh, thanks, Victrix.
There are not original hindu names as well as historical images. Indian ascetics did not use such tool too, not as a weapon and not as a crutch.
Mercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2018, 04:09 PM   #8
BBJW

These are decorative pieces. When they were actually weapons they were called a 'zagnal' or 'zaghnal'. -bbjw
BBJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2018, 04:28 PM   #9
Treeslicer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBJW
These are decorative pieces. When they were actually weapons they were called a 'zagnal' or 'zaghnal'. -bbjw
"Zaghnal" pulls up a number of examples. Thanks.
Treeslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2018, 09:48 PM   #10
Edward F

Pics just posted I consider to be Zaghnol'sthe 2nd is a crutch I don't consider the war pick either zaghnol or crutch.Are the war picks weapons that were used I don't know all I'm saying they are heavy somewhat well balanced and would give a devastating blow,just in the way the haft ends with the bulbus bottom you could give a great blow without it slipping,sorry but I'm not willing to test my thoughts on a piece of wood.the first war pick does unscrew at fist to reveal a hidden spike the other does not.You cant go by museum card I have been told by museum curators in india they just display the items they don't know much and rarely can answer questions.and yes it does resemble the german one.im not sure how common these war picks are if they were sold to Europeans I have not seen many.
Attached Images