Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 7th July 2006, 09:15 PM   #1
erlikhan

Default Interesting short sword

What do you think this is?Turkish or Arabian with European blade? Military?What can be the reason for it to carry western looking royal signs on its scabbard mountings then? Perhaps could be from kingdom period Egypt?Authentic or a later composition/decoration?

regards
Attached Images

Last edited by erlikhan; 7th July 2006 at 09:42 PM.
erlikhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2006, 10:33 PM   #2
not2sharp

Eickhorn use to make a very similar sword. Probably European made and then locally decorated. Are there any manufacturing marks/military marks on this?

n2s
not2sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2006, 12:17 AM   #3
TVV

This one creates an uneasy feeling because it looks like a parade weapon, and parade and award weapons are usually of much better workmanship, especially when it comes to fittings. However, if it is authentic, one needs to ask the question which Middle Eastern Monarchy would use a lion as a symbol or on its crest. Perhaps this comes from Pahlavi Persia, as most other nations would have eagle hilted swords?
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2006, 08:22 AM   #4
Tim Simmons

Strange mixed bag of styles and influences. The engraving is a little poor.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2006, 08:41 AM   #5
erlikhan

n2s,there is no maker's sign anywhere. TVV,the lion on crest doesnt give much clue, cause Ottomans who traditionally doesnt any lion symbol used the same lionhead too - on admirals' swords from late 19th c. to 20th c. -. Tim,I completely agree the engravings are quiet poor for such a military item.So poor that they don't add any to the sword's overall looking but takes from it.But,if they are all later to the sword,why did it not have any sign or stamp in the place of the engravings on the blade, and were its scabbard fittings original completely empty,with no decoration? The scabbard leather looks old and worn. (From the pictures.I havent seen it in real, just the pictures sent by a seller)

regards
erlikhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2006, 10:34 PM   #6
not2sharp

Quote:
But,if they are all later to the sword,why did it not have any sign or stamp in the place of the engravings on the blade, and were its scabbard fittings original completely empty,with no decoration?
By the later half of the 19th century the sword makers knew that the military was no longer interested in their products. So they started marketing to the civilian market. This led to the production of a wide variety of society swords; which would have been used as part of the social/parade regalia, given away as trophies and awards, or presented to members of various services upon their separation. These were not military issue, they would have no unit or acceptance marks, and may not have even had a manufacturer's stamp. This was likely a privately purchased sword which somehow found its way to a bazar, and was decorated to spark tourist interest. I suspect the story they peddled with the sword would have been much better then the quality of decoration.

n2s
Old 12th July 2006, 02:32 AM   #7
Raja Muda

Default Iranian Parade Sword

Dear Forumites

Just my two cents. I would vote Iranian for a number of reasons. The first is the crown emblem engraved on several parts of the sword resembles the Qajar and Pahlavi state crown. I've seen it in books but I don't know if anyone on the forum has pictures of it. I can't seem to locate mine

Interestingly enough, the words engraved on both sides of the blade is Arabic letters are 'Watan' which is Arabic for Nation or Land of Origin (denotes nationalist sentiments?) and Badshah or I think the Turkish equivalent is Padishah, which is a sultanate and imperial title I think.

Anyway, I hope this helps.
Raja Muda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2006, 04:11 AM   #8
not2sharp

http://www.michaeldlong.net/data/Sto...s/103891-2.jpg

Here is a similar Solingen sword.

n2s
Old 14th July 2006, 07:35 AM   #9
Valjhun

That sword is german made and that is a Pahlavi Crown, and the Lion is the symbol of Persia. The sword has poor engravings ecc. but suitable for a civil officer of some type I would guess.
Attached Images

Valjhun is offline   Reply With Quote