Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 11th August 2023, 05:00 PM   #1
ASPaulding

Default My clipped-tip Luzon Matulis

This is my very plain Luzon Matulis I thought I would share with everybody. Even though it is very plain it is one of my favorite blades I own. The sheath is engraved with what I believe says W.D. Smith V.I. Cav. (Calvery) I'm assuming it was picked up from the Philippine insurgency. I recently was researching this type of blade and found that some of them have a clipped point like my example. The entire time I thought it was just damaged. I do not know the significance of the clipped point but I find it interesting. For whatever reason I just feel this blade has some history. This is why it quickly became one my favorites in my humble collection.
Attached Images

ASPaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2023, 06:19 PM   #2
chmorshuutz

I'm sorry, but can someone more knowledgeable explain to me what "Luzon matulis" really is?

Based on my fairly limited experience, people in the present-day Tagalog region use a different term for a similar profile, but I never encountered "matulis" used for such even though the word is indeed Tagalog.

Is Luzon matulis an old profile that went extinct, or just an umbrella term?
chmorshuutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2023, 06:32 PM   #3
xasterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASPaulding View Post
This is my very plain Luzon Matulis I thought I would share with everybody. Even though it is very plain it is one of my favorite blades I own. The sheath is engraved with what I believe says W.D. Smith V.I. Cav. (Calvery) I'm assuming it was picked up from the Philippine insurgency. I recently was researching this type of blade and found that some of them have a clipped point like my example. The entire time I thought it was just damaged. I do not know the significance of the clipped point but I find it interesting. For whatever reason I just feel this blade has some history. This is why it quickly became one my favorites in my humble collection.
Hello, the correct term for your blade is "dahong bolo." I'm guessing that your blade was made in Tayabas, Quezon. The clipped points were brought about by various Spanish bando (decrees) regulating bladed weapons.
xasterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2023, 06:34 PM   #4
xasterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmorshuutz View Post
I'm sorry, but can someone more knowledgeable explain to me what "Luzon matulis" really is?

Based on my fairly limited experience, people in the present-day Tagalog region use a different term for a similar profile, but I never encountered "matulis" used for such even though the word is indeed Tagalog.

Is Luzon matulis an old profile that went extinct, or just an umbrella term?
The true Luzon matulis has some resemblance to dahong bolo. It's just that the belly starts sooner, and the blade narrows down drastically towards the tip; hence that's why it was called "matulis." However, the label was mistakenly attributed to other profiles such as dahong bolo and dahong palay, because some versions of these are also narrowing towards a very sharp tip.
Old 11th August 2023, 06:45 PM   #5
chmorshuutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by xasterix View Post
The true Luzon matulis has some resemblance to dahong bolo. It's just that the belly starts sooner, and the blade narrows down drastically towards the tip; hence that's why it was called "matulis." However, the label was mistakenly attributed to other profiles such as dahong bolo and dahong palay, because some versions of these are also narrowing towards a very sharp tip.
Salamat po sa tugon.

How about those traditional blades I've seen from Rizal province, particularly around Binangonan. They also have a similarly shaped profile, pointed and with wide belly, but is called "sungot hipon" (or interchangeably, ulang) instead. Is it the same profile with a different name, or am I missing some subtle differences?
Old 11th August 2023, 06:48 PM   #6
ASPaulding

Quote:
Hello, the correct term for your blade is "dahong bolo." I'm guessing that your blade was made in Tayabas, Quezon. The clipped points were brought about by various Spanish bando (decrees) regulating bladed weapons.
I indeed have limited knowledge, but I'm learning more everyday. I was told by a friend that has a lot of experience with these blades the name. I was also using this as a reference.
Attached Images

Old 11th August 2023, 07:04 PM   #7
ASPaulding

Quote:
Thank you for the information. If I understand you correctly, the Spanish wanted all the blades clipped? I suppose they thought it would make them less dangerous?
Old 11th August 2023, 07:13 PM   #8
chmorshuutz

Quote:
I indeed have limited knowledge, but I'm learning more everyday. I was told by a friend that has a lot of experience with these blades the name. I was also using this as a reference.
This one looks more like a sinampalok from Batangas province. Not sure why is it labelled matulis again.
Old 11th August 2023, 07:20 PM   #9
ASPaulding

Quote:
This one looks more like a sinampalok from Batangas province. Not sure why is it labelled matulis again.
I see the resemblance. Thank you
Old 11th August 2023, 10:48 PM   #10
JeffS

Quote:
I was also using this as a reference.
What reference source is this?
JeffS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2023, 01:01 AM   #11
ASPaulding

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffS View Post
What reference source is this?

https://fmapulse.com/weapons-of-the-philippines-2/
Old 12th August 2023, 01:13 AM   #12
ASPaulding

I believe xasterix is correct.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15148
Old 12th August 2023, 06:13 AM   #13
xasterix

Quote:
Salamat po sa tugon.

How about those traditional blades I've seen from Rizal province, particularly around Binangonan. They also have a similarly shaped profile, pointed and with wide belly, but is called "sungot hipon" (or interchangeably, ulang) instead. Is it the same profile with a different name, or am I missing some subtle differences?
Same profile yes, but different name pagdating sa Rizal province. Also, the antique Rizal versions usually have a false edge and are more needle-like towards the tip.
Old 12th August 2023, 06:57 AM   #14
xasterix

Quote:
Yup, indeed a combat sinampalok, differentiated from the standard/utility sinampalok profile which is short and wide-bladed.
Old 12th August 2023, 03:51 PM   #15
Interested Party

Am I correct in that the example shown has a chisel edge? It appears that holding the blade away from the body by the grip that the right side is flat while the left is beveled? Would this make this a left-handed version, in that it would be easy to flatten and smooth a surface held vertically by the right hand with downward strokes?
Interested Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2023, 04:29 AM   #16
ASPaulding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interested Party View Post
Am I correct in that the example shown has a chisel edge? It appears that holding the blade away from the body by the grip that the right side is flat while the left is beveled? Would this make this a left-handed version, in that it would be easy to flatten and smooth a surface held vertically by the right hand with downward strokes?
No, they are both beveled. I really appreciate everybody's input on this blade. I have learned a lot. Even though I have much nicer examples in my collection it is still one of my favorites.

Last edited by ASPaulding; 13th August 2023 at 04:43 AM.