Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st November 2006, 03:27 AM   #1
RhysMichael

Default Aceh sword hilts

In talking with someone in Indonesia I have heard a new term used for the sword hilts. I am trying to find more information on them if anyone can help

This sword as we have discussed has a hilt called a hulu tumpang beunteung

I also thought the hilt below was a hulu tumpang beunteung but I have in a correspondance about having a contemporary sword like this made the hilt in it was called hulu buaya.

Is anyone familiar with the term hulu buaya ? I know that there is sometimes a difference in Indonesian naming and Aceh naming ( e.g. Hulu Meu Apet vs gagang duan tebu or hulu tumpang beunteung vs tumpang jingki)

As a side note I have been told that in Malasia Buaya means crocodile. ( from the malasian proberb Jangan disangka air yang tenang tiada buaya.
Literal translation: Do not think that placid water is without crocodiles. ) This type of hilt has been translated as hilt like the mouth of a crocodile before
Any help would be appreciated

Last edited by RhysMichael; 21st November 2006 at 04:15 AM.
RhysMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2006, 08:49 AM   #2
VVV

As I understand it from looking in van Zonneveld he describes the lower hilt as a Hulu Peusangan?
The difference is because of the flattened protrusions.
Unfortunately I don't have Kreemer 1922 or Volz 1912 as he quotes from.
Peusangan is a district, as well as a river, in North of Aceh.
So Hulu Peusangan is just a hilt from Peusangan.

The hilt looks like a crocodile so Hulu Buaya seems to be a probable, and fitting, alternative name for this hilt.

Michael
VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2006, 02:24 PM   #3
RhysMichael

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVV
As I understand it from looking in van Zonneveld he describes the lower hilt as a Hulu Peusangan?
The difference is because of the flattened protrusions.
Unfortunately I don't have Kreemer 1922 or Volz 1912 as he quotes from.
Peusangan is a district, as well as a river, in North of Aceh.
So Hulu Peusangan is just a hilt from Peusangan.

The hilt looks like a crocodile so Hulu Buaya seems to be a probable, and fitting, alternative name for this hilt.

Michael

Michael
Thanks for the reply. I could be mistaken but it was my belief that the straight sword like at the top was a panjang and the longer curved sword was a peusangan. So I think that term describes the blade not the hilt. I did get this backin and e-mail from from Indonesia today. This is from someone dealing with contemporary smiths there and it does clear up some of my confusion though I still welcome any and all additional information I hope to update the page on these over the holidays
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOESANTARA
IMHO, 'hulu tumpang beunteung' is widely used in ethnograpics community, AFAIK (as far as i know ) the 'hulu tumpang beunteung' was mention in some book publish by/in dutch periode and base on the research on indonesia traditional weapon.

In present / current days, the blacksmith or acehnese known this 'hulu tumpang beunteung' as 'hulu buaya' ( buaya = crocodile, due to the shape of the hilt look alike a crocodile mouth). As you might know there are 10 subetnic of acehnesse such as Aceh , Gayo, Alas, Aneuk Jamee, Melayu Tamiang, Kluet, Devayan, Sigulai, Haloban dan Julu. The term of 'hulu buaya', I assume came from aceh tribe, and 'hulu tumpang beunteung' came from gayo tribe. Due to the most majority people who live in aceh is aceh tribe, then they become acehnesse. In fact they are other 9 tribe in aceh.

Last edited by RhysMichael; 21st November 2006 at 02:47 PM.
Old 21st November 2006, 02:50 PM   #4
VVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhysMichael
Michael
Thanks for the reply. I could be mistaken but it was my belief that the straight sword like at the top was a panjang and the longer curved sword was a peusangan. So I think that term describes the blade not the hilt...
John
John,

I agree with your sword definition. But there is also a hilt called Peusangan.
Panjang is long and Peusangan is, as I understand it, a regional name?
All of the Sikin Peusangan found in van Zonneveld happens to also have the Hulu Peusangan.

Michael
Old 21st November 2006, 03:09 PM   #5
RhysMichael

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVV
John,

I agree with your sword definition. But there is also a hilt called Peusangan.
Panjang is long and Peusangan is, as I understand it, a regional name?
All of the Sikin Peusangan found in van Zonneveld happens to also have the Hulu Peusangan.

Michael
Thanks I'll have to look into the hilt named for this. Your comments did get me to find that Peusangan is in the district of Bireuen on east coast of Aceh
Old 21st November 2006, 03:18 PM   #6
VVV

Yes,

I just noticed that my answer was a bit confusing.
Instead of regional name I meant the name of a region.
Sometimes it's hard to switch between different languages all the time when communicating...

Michael
Old 22nd November 2006, 06:36 AM   #7
Dajak

Here are some pics off different handle s some with gold and inlay

Ben
Attached Images

Dajak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2006, 10:24 PM   #8
RhysMichael

Some excellent examples thank you for posting them