Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 18th December 2021, 11:21 AM   #1
Jack Fletcher

Default Another Kaskara i have

Thought I might aswell post pictures of the other kaskara/sudanese weapons i have on the group.

This one has a 34.5inch blade, the fullers are well formed and the crescent moon markings on the blade are well stamped.
Compared to the other example I posted it has abit more weight to it, blades a little more rigid and has nicks down the length of the blade on both sides. The cross guard again compared to the other is more sturdy in construction especially the langets.

Again unsure of age but it definitely appears older and better quality than the previous example I posted.

All comments welcome and do you think its better me to post the other examples one at a time or all of them instead of making new threads for each?

Jack
Attached Images

Jack Fletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2021, 12:33 PM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Jack,

Another nice kaskara. this one looks older than your previous example and the blade is probably European in manufacture.

As far as posting more of your kaskara, single or multiple threads is fine. Most people post multiple examples of similar swords in the same thread. From an Archive perspective, it is easier to find them when they are in one thread. Try to label your pictures so that we know which sword is being discussed.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2021, 01:47 PM   #3
Edster

Jack,

Nice older kaskara. Blade most likely imported, pre-Mahdiya. Has older style 4-piece welded crossguard. Mahdiya era blades often had roughly engraved characters and text, but many Sudanese tribes, especially the Jaa'lin (sic) from the Nile Valley didn't support the cause. Look under the langets for possible maker's marks.

The paired moon faces don't look to be Kassala maker's marks. Here is a thread on moon faces. Sometimes they can be diagnostic. Jim is very knowledgeable on them among his wide expertise.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=19794

Eager to see your other kaskara and explore what stories they may have to tell.

Best,
Ed
Edster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2021, 01:58 PM   #4
drac2k

Two questions for my own clarification; are the pieces welded together where the 4 triangular pieces intersect on the central dot? Is this a viable way to determine an older four-piece guard and have these markings been falsely imitated by some to make these swords appear older than they are?
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2021, 02:32 PM   #5
Jack Fletcher

Really appreciate the replies and information Ian and Ed and glad my suspicious were correct in it being older and slowly learning from the likes of you both what I need to look for in 19th Century kaskaras.

The collection so far has the 2 kaskaras I've posted, another that has script on the blade and from a translation I was given dated 1239 in Hijri years so around 1823 our calendar.
I also have a full size kaskara with a full juvenile crocodile scabbard, small ceremonial looking sword with brass crossguard and script on the blade with croc skin handle, 2 daggers and a double headed axe with script and what looks like lizard skin handle plus 2 shields. Ive also recently bought a remington rolling block in .43 Egyptian that still hasn't arrived yet.
Old 18th December 2021, 03:33 PM   #6
mariusgmioc

Hello,

I have some doubts pertaining the European origin of the blade, so maybe somebody can provide more explanations as I am quite curious to learn more.

Specifically, I noticed three things that somehow raised my doubts:

1. the two smaller fullers of unequal length (see red arrows);
2. the main fuller not very straight (see green arrow);
3. the scandi grind (see blue arrows).
Attached Images

mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2021, 04:53 PM   #7
Edster

drac2k, The two quillion halves are forge welded via the langets into a unified piece. This crossguard looks to have been made to custom fit the blade rather than just a general piece. I don't know if the "custom" fit was a normal practice although the blade & crossguard were made by different craftsmen, but often nearby. I was told that the X mark had no real significance other than personal preference by the client.

Marius, You have good points, but I'd lay the imprecise fuller work to expediency in making munitions grade blades in Solingen. In my experience locally made blades are sharpened all the way to the grip. The moon faces look to be made with a more complex die than usually seen in local items. But then again I could be wrong.
Edster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2021, 05:18 PM   #8
Jack Fletcher

The fullers are alot straighter on this example to the previous one I posted and the blade definitely is better quality so of its not European its good quality and shows signs of use as it has a number of Nicks in it. The blade i can confirm isnt sharp the whole length and blunt and slightly thicker at the bottom.
Can't find any makers mark behind the langets though.
Old 18th December 2021, 08:57 PM   #9
mariusgmioc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edster View Post
Marius, You have good points, but I'd lay the imprecise fuller work to expediency in making munitions grade blades in Solingen. In my experience locally made blades are sharpened all the way to the grip. The moon faces look to be made with a more complex die than usually seen in local items. But then again I could be wrong.
I don't know...

The blade is also very flat, which suggests rather poor rigidity for the slightest edge miss-alignment...
Attached Images

mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote