Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 17th July 2019, 01:34 PM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Thumbs up At last ... a blunderbuss with a bronze barrel

Now, what do we have here ?
The barrel could (could) be a typical British one; that mark on the top could be an erased proof mark ... although being British, should have a set of marks, note an isolated one.
The lock, Portuguese no doubt, with that frizzen spring ... and no only. Front and side plates 'unusually' in brass.
One (important) detail to digest; the name "VIANNA" engraved in the side plate. The fact that it is placed on such place, and with that 'stylized' font, could (could) make us think it is the name of the owner and not of the smith. But this is no more than an easy conclusion. In my Viterbo work, comes listed a Vianna, active in Oporto 1822, well known for having invented a musket lock 'not of flint nor of percussion caps' and a rest for the dog. Could he be the same one ?
You will notice that, the stock is in the British style, bit its elaborate carving work is one practiced by Portuguese smiths.
Noticeable also are the (apparently) stock offset alignment and the provided suspension ring.
The bayonet is gone; in my judgement, deliberately extracted by the owner, due to these things lack of practicability; not so worried about this, though.
Amazing that, the name Viana is also my family one; reason why my local fellow collector, who first saw this piece in an auction, declined its acquisition in my favor.
Any comments, Gentlemen ?

Attached Images

Last edited by fernando; 17th July 2019 at 06:57 PM.
fernando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2019, 05:11 PM   #2
corrado26

In the "Neue Stöckel" there is listed a VIANNA at Oporto (Porto) ca. 1820-1860. In my foto archive I found these fotos of locks made in Portugal too.
cortrado26
Attached Images

corrado26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2019, 07:48 PM   #3
fernando

Thank you Udo; that must be the VIANNA that came listed in Sousa Viterbo's work (dated 1908); although we can only guess that he is the one whom made this lock. If so, it must have been in his early active days, judging by the type of (flint lock). Viterbo mentions in his work that he includes A.J.P. VIANNA in an opuscule dedicated to Portuguese inventors (INVENTORES PORTUGUESES - 1902). I will try and acquire a copy, to dig into this Vianna's activities.
I am amazed with pictures you post; they were released out there by myself . The first is a somehow rare lock posted HERE-
The other one was posted HERE.., a page edited and copied from ESPINGARDA PERFEYTA.
I am glad that you archive such interesting material .
Old 19th July 2019, 05:57 AM   #4
Philip

Default Interesting locks

Nando: Congratulations on a very interesting blunderbuss! First Portuguese lock I've seen with a brass lockplate.

For the benefit of forum readers at-large, it's the type called pé de cabra or goat's foot, for the projecting "hoof" at the base of the cock which engages the half- and full-cock sear studs. The foot appears to be an adaptation of the Spanish patilla as seen on the common miquelet lock originating in that country, here incorporated in a mechanism that uses an internal mainspring as on other flintlocks.

Goat's foot locks, which are generally seen on guns dated to the first quarter of the 19th cent., appear to be an offshoot of the Portuguese fecho de nó or "knot" lock, originating in the late 17th cent. The knot lock has a similar exterior appearance but lacks the "foot"; an internal tumbler with half- and full-cock detents in the French style provides the sear engagement (see Daehnhardt, Espingarda Perfeyta , photoplates Figs. 19, 20 for an example).

These goat locks usually have lockplates shaped in the French style, as seen on this example. Daehnhardt / Gaier, Espingardaria Portuguesa, Armurerie Liègeoise has two analogous goat's foot locks mounted on pistols, in plate 11.

Udo: Thanks for posting your example of a goa'ts foot lock, whose uniquely shaped and curved lockplate revives that on the earlier and iconic Portuguese fecho de molinhas or "spring lock" (which you also illustrate in your post). A typical case of the Portuguese love of hybridization, and the strength of tradition.

This peculiar style of lockplate illustrates the persistence of the external styling of the molinhas type which is also retained in an outwardly similar and later hybrid called fecho de três parafusos (three-screw lock, from its method of mounting to the stock). But in this instance, the more complex and expensive-to-produce sear mechanism of the original molinhas design is replaced by the simpler "guts" of the typical "French" flintlock.

(to forum readers: please refer to Corrado's post immediately preceding for two views of a molinhas lock, one of which shows the internal workings which as can be seen have a sear system notably different from the familiar, so-called French lock that we commonly see. For those so inclined, Daehnhardt, Espingarda Perfeyta contains two diagrams of a molinhas inside and out with all its parts identified in Portuguese and English, plus photo images Figs 23-27 of several examples all with the curved lockplates). But let's keep our eyes on the goat for now...

A final note of comparison is that both the molinhas and the later hybrid três parafusos locks do not have the projecting foot on the cock and the miquelet-type transverse sears of the fecho pé de cabra seen on Nando's blunderbuss. This, despite any similarities in cock jaws, lockplate, or frizzen spring. Below is an example of a três parafusos probably of Liège manufacture for the Portuguese colonial trade. This external view shows something that is practically indistinguishable from the molinhas locks that Daehnhardt illustrates (supra):
Attached Images

Last edited by Philip; 19th July 2019 at 07:04 AM.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2019, 06:08 AM   #5
Philip

Lest the viewer be confused by the preceding image, what appears to be a projection at the base of the cock is a separate component, a swiveling "brake" which acts as a manual safety catch, to block the fall of the cock at the "half" position. The photo was taken of the lock in half-cock or "safe" position with the brake in rearward position against a ratcheted notch at the cock's base.

This brake has a similar function to the rear mounted dog catches seen on early English flint systems, or on the Catalan and Algerian agujeta type miquelets.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2019, 10:09 AM   #6
fernando

Philip, thanks for enjoying (once more) my fine example of a goat foot lock with an 'armoured' frizzen posted by Udo, as also the molinhas diagrams i have 'stolen' from Daehnhardt's page whom, by the way, told me in his exuberant manner that, he was certain that the manual safety catch you talk about, was the best safety cock system he knew.
(Attached one of such lock examples in one of my finest blunderbusses ... ex-Daehnhardt, by the way)

Attached Images