Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 26th May 2012, 02:33 PM   #31
Spunjer

Quote:
Originally Posted by delor
Hello Spunjer,
I am not sure the center panel is a separate piece... looking at the close-up photos, I can't tell whether the line is a welding line or is an engraved one for brass inlay, just the same as for the stars.
By the way, the silver plate might hide the welding of the tang onto the blade...
i beg to differ, delor. it's hard to capture in photos, but the color tone of center panel is more obvious in real life. another hint that i would like to share is, by using a magnifying glass on the asterisk socket (missing a filling), the separation line can e seen, albeit faintly.
i do think you might be spot on about the silver plate hiding the weld joints.
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2012, 06:50 PM   #32
Gustav

It seems to me, this could be a possibility to explain the different fullers, the slightly curved blade and also the probably reshaped tip. Accidentaly also some of the decorations at the base of the blade are similar.

A couple of links to similar blades:

http://anthro.amnh.org/anthropology/...70.1%2F%207745

http://anthro.amnh.org/anthropology/...70.1%2F%209197
Attached Images

Gustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2012, 07:11 PM   #33
Gustav

And the big minus of my "theory": in this case the narrower fuller should be on the other side... Neverthless I suppose, the original tip could have been some kind of asymetrical regarding those fifferent fullers.
Gustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2012, 01:37 PM   #34
Spunjer

hmmm, good point gustav. even if the blade has not been reshaped, it is indeed odd to see the narrower fuller being closer to the inner blade.

btw, thank you for the link! some very unusual and one of a kind krises on that album! seems to have a few of the Robot Kris variety on there as well...

http://anthro.amnh.org/anthropology/...%2F%204151%20A
Old 27th May 2012, 02:32 PM   #35
kai

Hello Ron & Gustav,

Quote:
even if the blade has not been reshaped, it is indeed odd to see the narrower fuller being closer to the inner blade.
If I recall correctly those kris with narrow, asymmetric fuller that I've seen, it is generally placed along the lower (working) edge. Indeed somewhat counter-intuitive and I've failed so far to come up with a functional reason (or convincing working hypothesis) for this configuration.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 02:57 PM   #36
Spunjer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Hello Ron & Gustav,

If I recall correctly those kris with narrow, asymmetric fuller that I've seen, it is generally placed along the lower (working) edge. Indeed somewhat counter-intuitive and I've failed so far to come up with a functional reason (or convincing working hypothesis) for this configuration.

Regards,
Kai
good observation, kai! even on some symmetrical blades, they have the same type of configuration. odd, really...

http://anthro.amnh.org/anthropology/...70.1%2F%201431