Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 12th June 2020, 12:45 AM   #1
Green

Default Qs on this Bugis(?) type keris

I have a few questions on this keris which look like a Bugis to me which I hope some of us here can comment and give opinion on.

1) The hilt : what is the material made of?... looks like marine ivory?

2) The blade: looks like a spokal (sapukala) but rather a poorly made one ? or is this another variation of spokal blade form?

3: Dress. The gandar(batang serunai-Malay) is covered with brass wire. I've not seen this ornamentation of Sulawesi dress before. Is this a later addition , perhaps outside Sulawesi? (I know one collector here who did this kind of decoration with golden threads to part of the gandar but never completely).

4: Origin: Is it Sulawesi Bugis ?

Attached Images

Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2020, 09:09 AM   #2
Jean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green
I have a few questions on this keris which look like a Bugis to me which I hope some of us here can comment and give opinion on.

1) The hilt : what is the material made of?... looks like marine ivory?

2) The blade: looks like a spokal (sapukala) but rather a poorly made one ? or is this another variation of spokal blade form?

3: Dress. The gandar(batang serunai-Malay) is covered with brass wire. I've not seen this ornamentation of Sulawesi dress before. Is this a later addition , perhaps outside Sulawesi? (I know one collector here who did this kind of decoration with golden threads to part of the gandar but never completely).

4: Origin: Is it Sulawesi Bugis ?

A good Bugis kris from the latest Czerny's auction, congrats!
The very nice hilt seems to be made from marine ivory and is in takala style. The blade is not clearly in sepokal shape (not curved) and a bit eroded on the edges but OK. The pendok made from brass thread is probably a recent addition. The kris origin could be East Sumatra or Sulawesi IMO.
Regards

Last edited by Jean; 12th June 2020 at 01:03 PM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote