Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 15th August 2012, 06:20 AM   #1
Nathaniel

Default New T.E Lawrence movie in the works

Hmmm...don't know how I really feel about this one...

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-...222452694.html

Robert Pattinson set to play Lawrence of Arabia
By Jonathan Crow | Movie Talk – 6 hours ago

Days before his cinematic head-trip, "Cosmopolis" is slated for limited release, Robert Pattinson announced that he's going to play none other than British Army officer T.E. Lawrence in the upcoming indie flick "Queen of the Desert." The movie will also star Naomi Watts and will be directed by art house icon Werner Herzog.

T.E. Lawrence, became a legend during World War I by helping Arab troops overthrown the Ottoman Empire and thus shaping the modern Middle East. Nearly three decades after his death, Lawrence gained another kind of immorality by being the subject of David Lean's epic "Lawrence of Arabia." The movie is widely considered one of the best ever made and it launched the career of star Peter O'Toole. And as anyone who's seen the flick in a theater can attest, the movie is a sprawling, overwhelming masterpiece.
[Related: Indie Roundup: Director Fernando Meirelles talks about '360']
"Queen of the Desert" reportedly focuses on Lawrence's relationship with writer/explorer Gertrude Bell (Watts) as they help establish the Hashemite dynasties in Iraq and Jordan.

It's going to be interesting how Herzog puts his stamp on the material. Herzog described the movie to Indiewire last year as a "big epic film set in the desert." The director has made plenty of epic films in his day — "Aguirre: The Wraith of God," "Fitzcarraldo" — but the main characters are more likely as not to descend into madness as rise to heroics.

It will also be interesting to see how Robert Pattinson will make role of Lawrence into his own. O'Toole's performance was so masterfully controlled that 60 years later it was used as the model for Michael Fassbender's creepy android David in this summer's "Prometheus."

Of course, Pattinson, who became an international celebrity by playing a sparkly vampire in the "Twilight" franchise, is eager to prove his acting chops. His performance is pitch perfect in "Cosmopolis," directed by David Cronenberg, but the movie, filled with long, dense monologues punctuated by freakish moments of violence, seemed designed to alienate Twi-hards looking for another Edward fix. In aligning himself with Herzog, Pattinson seems set on busting himself out of the heartthrob pigeonhole along with building his indie cred.

"Queen of the Desert" is reportedly going to start production this fall.
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2012, 09:44 AM   #2
Iain

I'm interested. Herzog always produces something a little off the beaten track - at the very least this doesn't sound like a remake of the original film. But simply another telling of the story.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2012, 12:51 PM   #3
Norman McCormick

Hi,
For those who would like some background and insight on the lady and an interesting read into the bargain I would recommend The Letters of Gertrude Bell in 2 vols. Free online.
Regards,
Norman.
Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2012, 04:10 PM   #4
David
Keris forum moderator

Well, i do love Herzog, but the actor who played Edward in the Twilight series as Lawrence??? If Peter O'Toole weren't still alive he'd be rolling over in his grave.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012, 12:02 AM   #5
eric45

Can't wait to see it.
eric45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012, 08:53 PM   #6
ThePepperSkull

As soon as I read "Herzog" I was sold.
ThePepperSkull is offline   Reply With Quote