Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th July 2017, 03:38 PM   #1
Nathaniel

And imagine my shock and horror when the postal worker brought this out to the counter for me to sign for!!! I told the postal worker are you serious you want me to sign for this!?!? And they just shrugged and said my best bet was to fill out a damage claim form Luckily this was fully insured! But still would have rather had a straight pole arm! Because the post paid the claim USPS keeps the pole arm!
Attached Images

Last edited by Nathaniel; 17th July 2017 at 06:16 PM.
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2017, 04:09 PM   #2
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaniel
And image that sinking feeling when the postal worker brought this out to the counter for me to sign for!!!
Nathaniel, thanks for posting your pictures, I know exactly how you feel, even though I will get the money I paid returned it hurts to see this happen to any antique. The damage to your naginata looks just like what happened to my shamshir.

As I mentioned earlier, I just shipped a naginata much like yours in order to get some missing fittings replaced (habaki and tsuba), Tim Pepin the owner of Samuraisword.com just messaged me that it arrived safely but after what happened to the shamshir I kept thinking about how I could have done a better job of packing, I did not add any wood strips etc which would have greatly increased the chance of avoiding any damage to the blade or shaft, next time I will do that just as added protection.

Below is a picture that Artzi of Oriental Arms just sent me showing how he has reinforced for shipping the Chinese bow I just purchased. A great example that I intend to copy in the future.
Attached Images

estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2017, 04:22 PM   #3
estcrh

Once is one thing, but seeing this other very similar extreme damage example has really opened my eyes, I do not think I will simply rely on luck anymore when I ship any kind of weapon in the future.
Attached Images

estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2017, 10:53 PM   #4
Pieje

Several months ago I've sent a naginata from Europe to the USA using DHL.
I bought a 2m long plastic tube to be sure it arrived safely, off course it did.
Attached Images

Pieje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2017, 11:44 PM   #5
Nathaniel

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieje
Several months ago I've sent a naginata from Europe to the USA using DHL.
I bought a 2m long plastic tube to be sure it arrived safely, off course it did.
I would agree with,Pieje. Thank you for bringing this up! These plastic tubes are a good option however you have to make sure that the plastic some flex and is not brittle. I have had a plastic tube crack apart before.
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2017, 12:33 AM   #6
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Default Industrial Strength

I showed you guys some of this stuff in post #9; it comes in varying diameters and is practically indestructible due to double wall construction. It is also lighter than the PVC tubing shown in other's posts.
The stuff can be a bit hard to find; try electrical contractors supply companies.
Attached Images

Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2017, 05:56 AM   #7
Philip

These tubes are really handy for just about all spears, and polearms like nagynatas that aren't too wide or curved. Others, like halberds, ronconi, and the like, are problematic due to the width. But you can still use the PVC tube to "armor" the shaft area, then run a couple pieces of wood to brace the sides of the head, extending down the shaft a ways, following the principle that Artzi used to reinforce the Chinese bow. You have to "build" a heavy cardboard or thin plywood casing to enclose the head where it comes out of the tube, but if everything is strong and tight, there should be no worries. I'm a great believer in Gorilla Tape to hold things together.

The trick is to protect sharp points and corners on weapons that don't come with scabbards. Corks, or wrapping with a strip of cardboard plus lots of tape and a prayer, are NOT foolproof. The sides and end of the casing need to be protected with wood covering any possible area that the tip can move and poke out.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote