Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 11th July 2020, 06:14 PM   #1
kino

Default What happened to this Barung

This Barung has been living with me for over 15 years. Fits nicely in the scabbard.
There’s a big dent on the blades right side.

What happened?
Attached Images

kino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2020, 06:24 PM   #2
Bob A

Looks like a scarf weld from an earlier breakage. I assume this occurred well before it came into your possession. If it's recent, I have no explanation.
Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2020, 07:38 PM   #3
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Very nice hilt and scabbard, and what was once a nice blade. Looks as though this one took a hit from a cannon ball. I can't think what else would cause such a large round impression and snap the blade in two.

Last edited by Ian; 12th July 2020 at 03:26 AM. Reason: Spelling ...
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2020, 07:16 AM   #4
Battara
EAAF Staff

I agree so far. Never seen a scarf weld or damage like this except for cannon shots.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2020, 03:22 PM   #5
Interested Party

This is a question I've been pondering lately and I think this is a good time to ask it.

How serviceable is a blade after this kind of repair? It would obviously have to be normalized, hardened, and tempered. Would a chopper like this be able to take much impact or would it just be a show piece after the repair? Was this beautiful hilt and sheath original or manufactured for the remade blade?
Interested Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2020, 04:43 PM   #6
kino

BobA- the blade was in this condition when I acquired the Barung. I polished and etched the blades tip.

Ian and Battara- a hit from a cannon ball (shrapnel?), never entered my mind, if true, it’s amazing how it survived.

IP- Whether the furniture was original to the blade or not, it’s up to anyone’s guess. I’m assuming that it’s original.

I can’t see a reason for re-hilting and housing it in a scabbard of this type for a heavily damaged blade. I’m thinking that the blades tip wasn’t completely broken off just heavily fractured and re-welded. The scabbards upper left appendage has been restored, the difference in the color is apparent in the photo. The rattan wrapping is current as well.
Thanks for you input guys.
kino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2020, 07:04 PM   #7
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
I agree so far. Never seen a scarf weld or damage like this except for cannon shots.
May also have been grapeshot.

I have a pipe-backed blade on an ww1 era Austrian sword with a distinct dimple on the blade from a bullet - and a crack in the blade all the way to the spine. the matching numbered scabbard does not have a corresponding dimple, so I'd bet the owner got a nasty shock while it was drawn, it still fits the scabbard too. Hope he survived the engagement & spent years telling the story in the local bierkellar. (I've had an offer to have it TIG welded and reground/ polished but so far have resisted.)
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2020, 08:13 PM   #8
Battara
EAAF Staff

I also wonder if this is from the Borneo Moros based on the scabbard style and dimensions.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote