Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th June 2006, 02:18 AM   #1
athena

Default Pattern of forging

There are some well-known patterns, such as horse-teeth, round cloud, twistcore, etc. And there are more patterns on Tibetan blade, I even cannot call the name. How do you think of them?
athena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2006, 02:23 AM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Athena , the most common style of pattern welding seen on Tibetan blades is called 'hairpin forging' in the West .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2006, 02:47 AM   #3
RSWORD

Athena

I think for a long time collectors did not know that one could find intricate patterns in Chinese blades. In recent times, with more blades being polished to reveal the patterning, more and more people are coming to appreciate the patterns you have mentioned. I find visual laminations of any form to be a much underappreciated art form and I cannot help but think that in times past these patterns had to have held some artistic merit along with representation of the smiths skill.
RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2006, 09:19 AM   #4
athena

RSWORD

Here are patterns I've seen on Tibetan blade, I also think that in times past these patterns had to have held some artistic merit along with representation of the smiths skill.
Attached Images

Old 8th June 2006, 03:28 PM   #5
Mark

Thumbs up

I love the patterns in Tibetan blades. I've never seen ones as intricate as these, though, Athena. Beautiful! The first almost rather like a keris pamor.

I got a close-up look at a liu wei dao (willow leaf sabre) with a horse tooth pattern on a recent trip to Longquan in China. It actually is in the History of Steel exhibition, now (I was there helping evaluate and pick - well sort of - swords for the exhibition). Anyway, Zhou Zhen Wu, the owner, who is himself a great smith (again the Macao connection - he represented China in the Masters of Fire exhibition), has been trying to figure out how the pattern was achieved. It is not a temper pattern (at least his wasn't), but is sanmai. So far he hasn't had success. It is one of those lost arts in Chinese swordmaking.

PS: Here's a little game of "Where's Waldo" -- can you spot me in the pictures in Antonio's article?
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2006, 01:54 AM   #6
athena

Longquan is close to our hometown.
Old 14th June 2006, 04:07 AM   #7
Threetemper

Default pattern

Beautiful patterns on both blades. I have never seen the second one before.
Threetemper is offline   Reply With Quote