Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th January 2016, 01:59 PM   #1
harrywagner

Default Turkish military?

This is my own personal bad penny. I think it might be from Turkey. A friend said he thought it looked like military issue. It is worn enough that I think it has some age. Can anyone help identify it? TIA.

Harry
Attached Images

harrywagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 05:24 PM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

Bad penny?.......well..........

This is a tourist piece in the stye of the Ottoman WWI officer's jambiya. Turkish made? - yes. Antique - no.

Sorry for the bad news..........
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 09:36 PM   #3
harrywagner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
Bad penny?.......well..........

This is a tourist piece in the stye of the Ottoman WWI officer's jambiya. Turkish made? - yes. Antique - no.

Sorry for the bad news..........
It's alright. Thanks for letting me know.
Old 9th January 2016, 05:50 AM   #4
Sancar

Looks like a copy of a WWI "Enveriye" dagger. I don't think it is Turkish made. Local wallhanger daggers for tourist market are far worse than this. Possibly from Syria or other Arabic countries. Syrian-made "ottoman" fakes are all over the market nowadays.
Sancar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2016, 09:32 AM   #5
Oriental-Arms

Default The original one

The original one, numbered and dated 1334 (1915)
Attached Images

Oriental-Arms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2016, 01:02 PM   #6
harrywagner

Default Thanks

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the help. I almost did not post this knife as I never considered it might be a fake. I am glad I did. I prefer to know what I have. The photos of the real deal are especially helpful. I tried to return this one but, like a bad penny, it came back. The good news is that it is the last item in my collection that I am not completely certain of. This group has been extremely patient with me. Thanks for that. I have been on the "fast track" with my collection. I did not start until I was already an old geezer, and made more than a few questionable purchases in an attempt to get some experience. I came to my senses a few months ago and have completely given up ePray. My new mantra is "buy only from dealers and other collectors". Thanks again. I very much appreciate the help.

Harry
Old 9th January 2016, 04:55 PM   #7
Battara
EAAF Staff

No problem.

The only stupid question is the one not asked...........

Thank you Sancar: I didn't know that Syrians were making fakes of these.

Your question helped me learn (and I have a lot to learn )........
Old 9th January 2016, 06:08 PM   #8
A.alnakkas

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrywagner
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the help. I almost did not post this knife as I never considered it might be a fake. I am glad I did. I prefer to know what I have. The photos of the real deal are especially helpful. I tried to return this one but, like a bad penny, it came back. The good news is that it is the last item in my collection that I am not completely certain of. This group has been extremely patient with me. Thanks for that. I have been on the "fast track" with my collection. I did not start until I was already an old geezer, and made more than a few questionable purchases in an attempt to get some experience. I came to my senses a few months ago and have completely given up ePray. My new mantra is "buy only from dealers and other collectors". Thanks again. I very much appreciate the help.

Harry
Hey Harry,

Buy books, lots of books. And try to specialize. The more you specialize into one region (the Muslim world is vast and each region is different) the less fakes end up in your collection, you simply end up knowing all that is needed :-)
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2016, 02:13 AM   #9
Battara
EAAF Staff

TRUE 'DAT! No substitute for research. I don't like to buy anything I haven't researched.