Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st January 2012, 07:57 PM   #1
Cerjak

Default SPANISH MIQUELET GUN NEED HELP

Hello from France
Happy new year to everybody!
Who can help for this spanish miquelet gun.
On the barrel Agustin Bustindui Ruiz I suppose the maker & EIBAR ANO 1785 & rampant lion
The lock with a covered crown above GA BI OLA .
Trigger guard with BAS CA RAN

Hopping that somebody can tell me more about this gun
Attached Images

Cerjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2012, 12:42 PM   #2
Fernando K

Hola:

Los tres autores están citados por LAVIN, James, en su "A History of Spanish Firearms":
GABIOLA, Juan Andrés Lockmaker of Eibar. He is mentioned in Jovellanos DIARY as being a dinner guest in the home of Juan Esteban Bustindui on 21 August 1791.
BUSTINDUI RUIS, Agustín. A barrel maker of Eibar and possibily the son of Agustin Bustindui.

La llave (lock) es del tipo llamado "a las tres modas": El sistema de disparo es el del miquelet, el rastrillo (frizen) y la cazoleta (pan) con la brida (bridge) fija ("estribillo", en español) son tomadas de la llave(lock) a la francesa y el muelle del rastrillo (frizen) está tomado de la llave (lock) a la romana

Desde Argentina, afectuosamente. Fernando K

Hi

The three authors are cited by Lavin, James, in his "A History of Spanish Firearms"
Gabiola, Juan Andrés Lockmaker of Eibar. He is as Mentioned in Jovellanos DIARY dinner Being a guest in the home of Juan Esteban Bustindui on 21 August 1791.
RUIS BUSTINDUI Augustine. A barrel maker of Eibar and possibily the are of Agustin Bustindui.

The Key (lock) is of the type called "the three trends": The trigger system is the Miquelet rake (frize) and pan (bread) with clamp (bridge) fixed ("chorus" in Spanish ) are taken from the key (lock) to the French and the spring rake (frize) is taken from the key (lock) to the Roman

From Argentina, affectionately. Fernando K
Fernando K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2012, 03:41 PM   #3
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Welcome to the forum Cerjack,
Nice 'escopeta' you got there.
While Gabiola and Bustindui were in service around 1800, Bascaran is the name of various Eibar (Basque) gunmakers who were active by 1880-1900; therefore the trigger guard must have been a later addition.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2012, 04:55 PM   #4
rickystl

Hi Cerjack. Agree with Fernando. Very nice Escopeta. I really like the lock on this piece. Do you have a photo of the buttplate? Thanks, Rick.
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2012, 01:10 PM   #5
Fernando K

Hola:

Ramiro Larrañaga, en "Sintesis Histórica de la Amería Vasca", en página 120/1:
BASCARAN, Fernando de. Chispero (lockmaker). Eibar. 1795
BASCARAN, Manuel de. Maestro armero de Eibar, 1816/29. Junto a la marca particular también estampó la flor de lis y esa figura de cruz tan particular que también distinguía a otros armeros de la comarca así como el león rampante. Referencias: NEW STOCKEL (Instituto Suizo de Armas Antiguas)

Y en página 205 detalla otros:

Domingo de. Aparejero. Eibar y Placencia, 1750/62
Fernando de. Chispero (lockmaker) Eibar. 1795
Francisco de Aparejero. Eibar. 1762
Manuel. Armero. Eibar. 186/29

Disiento con Fernando. El guardamonte parece ser original. Habría que contrastarlo con el resto de las fornituras.

Afectuosamente. Fernando K

Hi

Larrañaga Ramiro in "historical synthesis of the Basque Ameria" on page 120 / 1:
BASC, Ferdinand. Chispero (lockmaker). Eibar. 1795
BASC, Manuel de. Master gunsmith Eibar, 1816/29. Along with the particular brand also stamped the fleur de lis and a cross that figure so unique that also distinguished other dealers in the region and the lion rampant. References: NEW Stockel (Swiss Institute of Ancient Weapons)

And on page 205 lists others:

Sunday. Aparejero. Eibar and Placencia, 1750/62
Fernando de. Chispero (lockmaker) Eibar. 1795
Aparejero Francisco. Eibar. 1762
Manuel. Armero. Eibar. 186/29

I disagree with Fernando. The trigger guard appears to be original. Should be contrasted with the rest of the trimmings.

Affectionately. Fernando K
Fernando K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2012, 02:20 PM   #6
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Muy bien Fernando K,
Gracias por su correccion
I stand corrected .

The thing is, i didn't find BASCARAN in Lavin's work, as first suggested:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando K
Los tres autores están citados por LAVIN, James, en su "A History of Spanish Firearms":
The three authors are cited by Lavin, James, in his "A History of Spanish Firearms"
As also lso in a website dedicated to Eibar gunsmiths i found three BASCARAN, all having been in action around 1880.
http://www.jmfirearmscollection.com/?MW=3&COD=1&P=E
I assume now that my research wasn't complete.
In this case Cerjak, you have an added value in your escopeta, with all parts being from the same period.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote