Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th January 2024, 08:30 PM   #1
Jon MB

Default Markings on Ottoman Sabre

Folks, any insights appreciated.

Picked this Ottoman sabre up at auction. I see there is a tughra, I am supposing a state arsenal mark.

Are the Cyrillic -type letters talismanic devices?

I am guessing it is an 18th C. piece, but not my field.

Many thanks in advance,

Jon B
Attached Images

Jon MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2024, 09:13 PM   #2
TVV

It is not Cyrillic. My guess is that this is in imitation on European marks on older blades, done by someone who was not literate.
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2024, 11:25 PM   #3
werecow

I am 99% sure I've seen those markings before (or at least those letters) and 73.52% sure it was on these boards, but my memory fails me.

EDIT: Maybe I am confusing it with this s'boula? But I feel like I've seen better matches.
werecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2024, 10:09 AM   #4
A.alnakkas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVV View Post
It is not Cyrillic. My guess is that this is in imitation on European marks on older blades, done by someone who was not literate.
I mostly find those imitation blades with Ottoman stamped tughras coming out of Jordan with mounts that are very similar in quality and style to Shibriyas made in Gaza. They sometimes reuse good blades and I assumed that this is their local blade quality.
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2024, 03:41 PM   #5
serdar

Hello, it looks indeed a faked old blade markings and by that i mean a old european blade markings the ones usualy found on old karabela blades of period 1550-1690. Even on some husar blades, but predominatly on three fuler karabela blades of steyer provinence, i have two of them, and they have similar letter markings with sickle markings and are certified from period of 1580-1650 made. (Il atach pictures of markings)

And about thugra, i think it is fake, by that i mean it is stamped newly, and other thing, thugras of sultan what that narking is vere never struck on the blade but on the silver part of the scabbard, so someone probably found old thugra seal for silver and struck it on the blade.
Cheers.
Attached Images

serdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2024, 03:44 PM   #6
serdar

I just took a look at “thugra” that is not real antique sultan thugra, someone made fake thugra and struck it on the sword.
Someone made lots of detaile but done it all wrong.
Old 30th January 2024, 05:47 PM   #7
Jon MB

Thank you for the comments so far.

I also feel I have seen this exact lettering before somewhere on the forum.

This piece came with a scabbard with Ottoman-type, black vellum set over a leather base, the vellum joined on the inner side of the scabbard by tightly bound copper wiring.
Old 30th January 2024, 05:52 PM   #8
A.alnakkas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon MB View Post
Thank you for the comments so far.

I also feel I have seen this exact lettering before somewhere on the forum.

This piece came with a scabbard with Ottoman-type, black vellum set over a leather base, the vellum joined on the inner side of the scabbard by tightly bound copper wiring.
Mounts are often very important to pinpointing a weapon's origin. Please do share the scabbard!

btw whats the blade quality like? I own a blade with such a tughra, its not that flexible.
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2024, 07:01 PM   #9
Norman McCormick

Hi,
Similar markings on a Balkan pistol of mine, possibly French manufacture for the Balkan market with locally applied marks probably done by an illiterate craftsman.
Regards,
Norman.
Attached Images

Last edited by Norman McCormick; 30th January 2024 at 07:12 PM.
Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2024, 08:14 AM   #10
serdar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman McCormick View Post
Hi,
Similar markings on a Balkan pistol of mine, possibly French manufacture for the Balkan market with locally applied marks probably done by an illiterate craftsman.
Regards,
Norman.
Hello, that pistol or kubura is not made in france but in Peć city in kosovo, it is balkan pistol called Pećanka, il post you silver mounted version, it is comon and widespread on balkan in 19 century, “marks” or “text” is a giberish, without meaning, decoration or atempt of increasing value.
Attached Images

Old 31st January 2024, 03:35 PM   #11
Norman McCormick

Quote:
Originally Posted by serdar View Post
Hello, that pistol or kubura is not made in france but in Peć city in kosovo, it is balkan pistol called Pećanka, il post you silver mounted version, it is comon and widespread on balkan in 19 century, “marks” or “text” is a giberish, without meaning, decoration or atempt of increasing value.

Hi,
Many thanks for the clarification, much appreciated.
My Regards,
Norman.
Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2024, 06:49 PM   #12
Jon MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.alnakkas View Post
Mounts are often very important to pinpointing a weapon's origin. Please do share the scabbard!

btw whats the blade quality like? I own a blade with such a tughra, its not that flexible.
Thank you for the input, I will add pictures when home. The blade is reasonably thin but sturdy. I have not tested the 'flex'. The balance is very good, the pivot point being exactly at the start of the fuller. Overall fairly similar to a British 1796 LC blade.
Old 11th February 2024, 06:53 PM   #13
Jon MB

Pics with scabbard.
Attached Images