Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 17th April 2017, 02:54 PM   #1
Ferguson

Default Marking your collection for inventory/catalog

I would like to inventory my collection for insurance and estate purposes. I plan to mark each piece and take a picture of it, then put it in a spreadsheet. Have any of you done this? If so, how do you prefer to label them. I've considered, tags with string, paint marker, and adhesive labels. The tags wouldn't look very nice for those pieces that are displayed, and I worry that the adhesive stickers might come loose. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Steve
Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2017, 03:43 PM   #2
Jens Nordlunde

It is a very good idea, both for yourself and for the insurance, as you have documentation of what have - if the computer is not stolen at the same time.
I have tags with a string, as they can always be removed when needed, some use a painted number, which likely can be removed by thieves. Adhevise labels I dont like, as they may fall of when the glue dries out, and they will make a mark on the blade, or wherever you put it.
I wrote down all that I know about every weapon in the collection, and had a book printed, so I am sure there is enough documentation out there, to satisfy any insurance man.
Attached Images

Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2017, 03:50 PM   #3
Miguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferguson
I would like to inventory my collection for insurance and estate purposes. I plan to mark each piece and take a picture of it, then put it in a spreadsheet. Have any of you done this? If so, how do you prefer to label them. I've considered, tags with string, paint marker, and adhesive labels. The tags wouldn't look very nice for those pieces that are displayed, and I worry that the adhesive stickers might come loose. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Steve
Hello Steve,
I'm glad you've asked this question as I am considering doing the same and will be interested in the replies. I wasn't going to mark mine just using the photo of the item.

Miguel
Miguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2017, 05:44 PM   #4
kino

Here's a link to a pdf that details marking objects with a pen.
It would have been good to have done this early on the collecting game. Currently its tags for me.

http://www.okmuseums.org/sites/oma2/...ers_Part_I.pdf
kino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2017, 07:18 PM   #5
Battara
EAAF Staff

I put pictures in a separate flash drive and print them out along with detailed write ups on each (including research).
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2017, 01:59 AM   #6
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Ferguson:

Great questions. I have always used tags. I started with small price tags which simply had a catalog number. Then moved to larger tags that have the catalog number, brief description, date of acquisition, the price I paid, and the price I would like to get if I sold it.

The catalog numbers are referenced to Excel files that contain a more detailed description, notes, and a small picture of each item. For the more important pieces, I have an individual Word file for each item, with entries such as Jens has shown, and a series of high resolution pics. The completed Word files are converted to PDF files that are compressed and stored on thumb drives (kept in a safe) and also uploaded to a secured online lock box. I back up my computer once a week to an external hard drive for additional safekeeping.

This may seem excessive, but back in 1997 I had my entire collection stolen plus my computer and disks. The only records I had for insurance purposes were purchase receipts. While I recovered the monetary cost for most of my collection, I had no visual records (all pics were on my stolen computer and disks). I recovered none of what was stolen, and I have not seen a single piece come on the market. It seems someone knew what they were taking.

My records are for multiple purposes, but mainly for whoever comes after me to know the what, when, and how much.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2017, 06:26 PM   #7
Ferguson

Thank you all for your help and suggestions! Time for me to get started.

Steve
Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2017, 08:54 PM   #8
kahnjar1

I keep photographic records of my items cross referenced with a number, and the amount paid for each item at the time of original purchase. The reason for the amount paid, is so that in the future whoever deals with my estate has at least some idea of what a particular item is worth. Items of course do vary in value over the years but at least this way no loss should be incurred.
As we all know by now, there are those out there who will be keen to clear an estate lot for a very small amount, just to (according to them) help the grieving wife "get rid of the rubbish".
As far as marking each item is concerned, I have not done this yet, but intend to use one of those pens which can only be read under UV light. At least these are not immediately obvious to a potential thief.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2017, 02:23 AM   #9
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
... As we all know by now, there are those out there who will be keen to clear an estate lot for a very small amount, just to (according to them) help the grieving wife "get rid of the rubbish". ...
Stu, you are so right. When my father died 20 years ago, he had a nice collection of old cigar boxes, cigarette lighters, and other smoking-related memorabilia. Since he died from lung cancer due to his smoking, my mother just wanted done with all the tobacco-related things. A dealer offered to take them off her hands for $200. A little research revealed their true value, and she eventually sold them for more than $4500! This type of thing happens all too often.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2017, 11:41 AM   #10
Lee
EAAF Staff

Lightbulb Paraloid B-72

Here is one procedure for insuring removable ink or paint markings from the National Park Service.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2017, 10:55 AM   #11
DaveA

Default Inventory records

I use the tags with string, but I'm way behind and some have fallen off. Each item has a four character code. The first two are letters indicating geographical origin, the last two characters are numbers indicating order of acquisition. I keep all the identification and purchase information in a spreadsheet. I also periodically update the kinds of prices I'm seeing for similar items. Not sure how useful that will be, but family asked me to do it. I photograph everything according to the guidelines published in the forum. Sometimes a previous collector will provide reasonably good photos. I've documented almost every item in my website, along with other things I learn. Http://Atkinson-swords.com/
DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote