Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 12th May 2017, 11:29 PM   #1
Lee
EAAF Staff

Question Moro Kampilan most recently from the great Brimfield Flea Market

Acquiring a kampilan has long eluded me, but this one just found me at the giant Brimfield, MA flea market. The dark hardwood hilt is simply, but proficiently carved with the grip wrapped in rattan. Bands of rattan once extended across the guard, but are now largely gone and there is no evidence of any previous iron fittings on the guard. Very faint narrow lengthwise imperfections in the blade are consistent with forging, as are variations in the blade patina.

Overall length is 36¾ inches (93.6 cm) with the blade being 27 inches (68.4 cm). At 0.85 inch (2.2 cm), the blade is quite narrow at the origin and widens to 1.6 inches (4 cm) at the widest point just before the cutouts. There is a fairly uniform tapering of thickness from 0.28 inch (0.72 cm) at the origin to 0.11 inch (0.27 cm) at the widest point as above. The balance point is 6½ inches (16.5 cm) out from the hilt. The weight is 23.4 ounces (664 grams).

Your insights and comments are welcome!
Attached Images

Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2017, 11:30 PM   #2
Lee
EAAF Staff

Images, continued...
Attached Images

Old 13th May 2017, 12:17 AM   #3
Battara
EAAF Staff

Nice camp, Lee. I love the rattan plaiting - hard to find when complete like this. Originally it had silver round eyes (silver discs or coins) on both sides.

Lee is that etching on the blade?
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2017, 12:24 AM   #4
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Excellent 19th C kampilan, Lee. I also like the rattan work on this one. At one time there were rattan bands around the wooden cross guard also. A very fine blade that shows laminated construction with a hardened edge. This one is probably Maranao in origin judging from the overall style of the hilt.

Congratulations on a great find.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2017, 01:24 AM   #5
drac2k

Fantastic piece!Brimfield has always been on my bucket list; now I really want to go!
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2017, 04:30 PM   #6
Lee
EAAF Staff

Thumbs up Thank you, Gentlemen!

Battara - I think that someone must have applied a light etch along the way as while some areas are quite smooth and 'shiny,' others have a flatter, duller appearance. I do not know, but I suspect someone may have buffed it up a bit, lightly etched and then did something to darken. I always suspect this when I find black residue upon oiling and that is true here. However, adequate restraint appears to have been applied and the surface is not that different from other Moro weapons including my panabas and a few kris. Other than the two pinpoint depressions in the center of the disc areas on either side of the hilt that are consistent with narrow tack holes, no depressions or other traces have been left in the wood or finish of what was there. One central woven rattan band over the plaited area at the center of the grip is absent.

Ian - Am I correct that the darker shade of the blade along the edge on both sides, poorly represented in my pictures, is indicating the edge hardening?

drak2k - I have had some great finds and even a rare 'eureka' at the Brimfield flea market over the years. These have usually not been through the more specialized arms and militaria dealers (where quality and condition often do not justify the price for what interests me) but rather through more generalized dealers. This, of course, means that you must take some time to check out booths that may harbor what you are seeking. To take in all the major fields will actually take four days (Tuesday - Friday) though many dealers migrate from field to field to be there for the opening rush as each opens in turn, so you will recognize a lot of repeats. The market really suffered in the wake of 2008 but is clearly growing back.
Old 14th May 2017, 02:56 AM   #7
Battara
EAAF Staff

Actually Lee, regarding the eye disks, what you said is rather common when disks are applied. The nails were not that big that went through the "eye holes" and thus not that deep. Same type of nails were used in the Visayas as well and were small and short.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2017, 02:43 PM   #8
drac2k

Lee; I can think of nothing more pleasant than wandering for 4 days, going to countless booths, looking for rare finds! I really mean it and God willing, I will someday make it to Brimfield.
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2017, 04:02 PM   #9
Ferguson

Thats beautiful Lee. Congrats! I've never seen rattan woven like that before. Cool!
Steve
Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2017, 04:11 PM   #10
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
Ian - Am I correct that the darker shade of the blade along the edge on both sides, poorly represented in my pictures, is indicating the edge hardening?
Hi Lee,

Yes, that would be my interpretation. The edge looks hardened rather than an inserted piece. I've seen edge hardening on other kampilan too.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote